New Dave's Gardener and New Designer too

West Jordan, UT

Hello everyone. I've been reading posts for awhile but I finally decided to jump in! I start my new job this week working for a landscape design/build firm. I'll be doing client consults and illustrative masterplans for residential customers. I know I'm fairly competent to do the work(except the actual construction part- doing that in real live vs. paper is new for me) and my plantsmanship is far better than most but it's still a little intimidating for me. I have a degree in Landscape Architecture but I went a slightly different direction after college (City Planning with nice government benefits and a paycheck I can count on) so even though I've been out of school for 12 years, I'm a little nervous my little career change. I've been a stay-at-home Mom since 2000 and this is my first 'official' job since that time so the whole 'getting paid for work' will be a nice but slightly nervewracking change for me.

Anyway, I'm even more intimidated as I take in the formidable design prowess of deviant dezigner! There are some very talented people on this site.

This coming weekend is the Spring Home and Garden Show and I'll be helping out. While I'm nervous about embarking on a new 'career', the sales part of the job is actually not all that frightening- I know how to do that part well! I'm sure I'll settle in, it's just the nervous energy of doing something new I guess.

I'm rambling but if anyone has any tips for a new designer, I'd love to hear it. I plan to be a regular contributor around here if that's okay!

This thread has 34 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!