anyone grow arctic jay white nectarine

Brooklyn, NY

its supposed to be a really flavorful nectarine. anyone here growing it?

Baltimore, MD

These Zaiger nectarines are often not good choices for eastern climates. Arctic Jay is prone to bacterial spot. I don't have that one but I have a sickly Arctic Supreme that has managed to stay alive (but not much more) for five years. It got shot-hole real bad.

Scott

Brooklyn, NY

scott- I am going to give it a try- the rave reviews are too hard to pass up on- (but then again I am growing lychees and oranges in new york- so i am clearly nuts)

Baltimore, MD

I don't think they are too super in taste myself and they are hard like rocks. Not my cup of tea anyway. But I guess lots of people like them. They are extremely sweet. Personally I would take an Indian Free any day -- now theres a peach with some FLAVOR, not just sweet/tart.

Scott

Brooklyn, NY

scott have you tried to buy a new lychee tree- i saw on a post that you said the emperor u bought died.

Baltimore, MD

That post in fact reminded me that I had meant to buy a new one in the spring, so I am going to get another one soon. I have a Mango, a Sapodilla, and a Sugar Apple in my greenhouse and they have been doing well for two years now, so I figure I deserve another shot at the lychees.

Scott

Brooklyn, NY

scott- any fruit from your mango yet-?

i have just ordered a fairchild from pine island under the ridiculous notion that i will be able to bring it indoors every winter in nyc

Baltimore, MD

My mango produced a flower head last year but the plant seemed too young to fruit so I chopped it off. I have a Mallika I believe. It has been pretty easy to grow but it seems to want to grow a really long main stem, the first branching happens at 3-4' high. I am thinking I may lop it way back at some point to make it more bushy. I just trimmed my sugar apple back a few days ago, it is going dormant now. It had too long of a central leader, but the branching is lower. For inside plants they need to be topped to encourage a more short and bushy growth.

Scott

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.