reminder cole crops[vegatables]Piedmont Region

Richmond, VA

The following is a reminder to begin getting ready to plant cole crops for those of you who are in the Piedmont Region.Spinach and Beets should be direct sown beginning now.Cabbage and Broccoli transplants can go into the ground in a couple weeks or less.Lettuce transplants the same.
From Richmond and points south you may want to set your cabbage and lettuce out now.Ive already done so and am pleased with the results.Their health actually improved going outside.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Is Richmond still zone 8? I thought it had been changed to 7 when they changed the zones a few years back. It's been a long time since I gardened in Richmond but aren't you pushing it a little? Cabbage and lettuce transplants can only stand light frosts. If you're in zone 7, your last frost date is over a month away.

Richmond, VA

Actually Richmond is still considered zone 7.I didnt know that it ever was considered zone 8.Although in the urban area it should or could be considered zone 8.I know it seems kind of early to start putting transplants in.Its one of the reasons that many a cole crop becomes unharvestable though.People wait to long to plant.Cole crops thrive in cool weather.Far to often it goes from chilly to blazing hot at record speed
in the spring.This causes bolting of most cole crops.Cabbage actually grows best between 40 and 60.It can withstand light frosts and temps as low as 15.Spinach is so hardy that it can be scattered on frozen ground and just as soon as the ground barely warms it will start growing.Beets the same way.Like you I was used to more tender warm weather vegatables.You have to baby them to some degree.For what its worth Im hedging my bets by having back up transplants though.Im also prepared to cover the transplants should it call for continous cold temps.I will post as they progress and let you know how it works out.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Well, DG is acting up. I just replied to this and it disappeared. It's been well over 30 years since I gardened in Richmond. Thinking about it, I think I was planting lettuce in March.

It's a lot colder here. We were still getting hard, killing frosts into early June last year.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks for the info. maybe I should try to get my swiss chard in earlier this year, being a relative of beets and spinach.

Richmond, VA

Hart.
I understand your thought.I was raised west of Richmond myself.To catch a frost in June was semi normal.We didnt plant alot of things until June 15th.We even had one little spot that was a microclimate of zone 4/5.It rarely got planted.When it did believe it or not, it wasnt until July 1st or later.We used it for plant overflow so to speak.Spring cole crops in western va [excuse the expression can be a crap shoot.]
Its one of the few crops that are actually easier to grow[from a reliability stand point]
in central and eastern virginia.
Sally g
Yes swiss chard should be planted about the same time as spinach and beets.If you are planting transplants and not seeds make sure that your transplants arent but so big when setting out.If they are smaller the cold will help them to grow stronger.If the trunk is beyond the size of a pencil and they are growing in colder temps[30 to 50]for any lenght of time can cause them to bolt.This wont be noticed until you get a
warm spell.As soon as you do they will attempt to flower.[Bolting]
The following is true for most cole crops
small transplants set out early or on time
Larger transplants set out later[when overall temps remain consistently over 45 degrees]

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.