MO DG RU - April 28th

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Mark your calenders, folks. We want to see lots of folks there. It is only 2 months away.

I talked to someone at Bothwell Lodge this morning . 1 roofed shelter, no electricity, $30 deposit, and the bathroom facilities are quite a distance from the shelter. Or we can meet back at Liberty Park right in Sedalia were we have been meeting. Personally I would prefer LP as it is closer to stores if we need supplies, has good bathroom facilities close by and electricity which we have used at both of the past RUs. It would also be free since they don't do reservations until May. But if I get there early holding it for everyone should be no problem. Oh, yes, no muddy road if it has been raining.

Post your opinions here or on the March thread so I will know what to tell people.

Tipton, IA

leaflady you near sedalia? ive been there on many weekend roadtrips.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

The park was fine Leaflady. would be fine again with me.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Works for me!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I like the park idea. Since we have been there before no getting lost for those of us who are "directionally challenged" LOL

If you have been there before you can find it. If not you spend 30 min looking for the entrance way that EvaMae mentioned. That park looks weird coming from 65. Coming from the other way it looks normal. Had a hayday trying to find the entryway. Could see EvaMae but no entrance. But as those of you who saw me know, I made it! LOL.

I am gonna bring cookies and my pudding cake this year. If we can bring anything else we can. I will have my grandma with me and hopefully Tammy can make it again. Also bringing lots of plants to swap. Gonna get some from the greenhouse too. They love giving me plants. LOL.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, RR, I live about 13 miles NW of Sedalia near a little burg called Hughesville. Out in the 'boonies' so to speak. I hope you can make it to the RU. It isn't just for people from MO.

It sounds as tho the park has it. I'll try to have some Bowl of Beauty peonies dug for giving away and a few Spuria iris. Does anyone have any Lady's Friend iris they could trade for?I use to have that one but lost it. Or any bright pink ones. Named or unnamed, makes no real difference to me. The colors are what attact me.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Tipton, IA

oh this sounds like fun, when is it, i always have stuff to swap, dogwood, lilac strts, peonies, need thinned, and more.I love roadtrips.and always like to meet new garden people, i have a fall swap every august.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

RR, it will be held April 28th at Liberty Park in Sedalia. Hope to see you there.

Tipton, IA

thanks leaflady , i put on my calendar, do we bring food too? I can.

RR, you are more than welcome to bring food!!! Hope to see you there!!

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes RR do bring food.

Leaflady---- Is there a chance you might give demonstartions on the finer points of Diesel fuel use.

Oooh....possibilties here.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oz, I doubt the city & park department would appreciate it very much. However maybe I can spray some plants in advance and bring them to show what happens to them. LOL.

Oh, yes, RR, we all bring food. Lots of food. All kinds of food. We do need to start thinking about it and get a list going of who will bring what so we have a good balance. Pepper has already offered desserts which sound wonderful. I can probably grill/smoke some chicken again. Maybe a 10# bag of leg quarters. And a veggie tray.

And don't forget the door prizes, folks. Hopefully we will get more organized at that part of the event than in the past. I'm sure I can bring some peacock feathers. I have lots of them. Of course the $1 store & Dollar General have good buys too. Books went over well last time. Wind chimes and other yard ornaments are popular too. We need to be sure that all the door prizes we bring actually get put out & not left in our vehicles and then forgotten. Does anyone want to take the responsibility of keeping tabs on that?

Plant swaping/giveaways are a big part of the RU, RR. I think I would love to have some lilac starts from you. I have an old fashion one that is making a nice recovery from whatever nearly did it in last year, and some double whites. I'd love to have the yellow primrose one or that 2 tone one. I can't think of the name of it right now. I have dozens of guess what Rose of Sharon. Meaning that I have no idea which of the several colors we have they may turn out to be be. Last year our DIL got some and they turned out to be a color from clear across the yard from where we dug them. I know I will have Egyptian Walking onions again if anyone wants some. Maybe some pink fragrant Belgium mum called Canelli. It spreds rapidly so have plenty of room if you take some.

Tipton, IA

ok LOL i get it lotsa food and plants , leaflady, i have the sensation, lots a strts, and i-2 of yellow primrose,its not real old so ill save you one, also have dogwood[3type} and maybe varigated willow. ill have to go thru, as we go, but i always have alot of stuff, herbs, perrenials, unusal veggie strts. etc. between my yard and garden center.

I want Oz's hostas. LOL. Actaully anything that can be grown in shade or part shade I like. My grandma has sun thru shade so anything goes for her. I will try to bring plants from the greenhouse and EvaMae can try too. I will get doorprizes from giftshop and other places. I can also keep tabs on doorprizes if no one else wants to.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Pepper. You just volunteered to keep track of the door prizes. You can start a list and as people tell you what they will bring or how many they will bring you can edit the list. So everyone just needs to keep in touch with Pepper regarding door prizes. Thanks again, Pepper.

No problem!! When I start getting a few in I will start a thread listing them.

Sedalia, MO

Leaf lady if you have any extra I would like a start of the walking onions. See you at the park.

Tipton, IA

would anyone be interested in purple aspargrus?

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I will bring what I can. Of course I do not know what yet, I have only been in the garden for a few minutes in the last several months due to the bad weather. Purple asparagus?? Cool!

Tipton, IA

yes it stays purple till you cook it, make garden area colorful, im sure ill have sensation lilac strts, some peonies, red twig dogwood, maybe varigated too, would anyone like hops vine, it covers quick!!! but i love it it covered my arch.

Purple asparagus sounds neat!! I'm sure I can find a place for it. And all the others. LOL. I will have to really look and see what we can put in here. My grandma has more room than I do. lol

Sedalia, MO

Rockrun will the hops vine grow in the shade? I have a trellis I would love to cover, but it gets mostly shade.

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 10:46 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The Sensation lilac is my one firm request. The asparagus would be nice too if you have enough to go around. I'd rase it in a flower bed for color all season. Asparagus plants are so pretty. Would hops vines grow along the ground? Kyle and Holly need to put in a slight terris between our yards because the water all runs down to their place when it rains so they get a soppy mess. They want to fill it with old tires that are all over the place here & plant vines to cover them.

I may have some iris, possibly Siberian tho I am not sure of that. I rescued it from the giveaway/compost pile at PG years ago. It is dark purple. I'll also have rooted starts of Clove Spice bush and probably unnamed Rose of Sharon. Colors of the ROS is also unknown as the seeds blow all over the yarden. I'm sure I can get some elderberry starts too if anyone is interested. There are lots of them out there and they spread by runners.

Tipton, IA

hops lol will grow anywhere.... you just need to dig up strts in spring but its so neat i dont mind.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Could someone please give directions to liberty park coming in from east on I-70? Hubby may not be able to drive me this time so I need to get accurate directions.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the thread from last year:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/647031

Anna

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I dug out 5 nice size clumps of a bright pink spiderwort today and have them in pots to bring to the RU. I have lots of fern leaf tansy too if anyone wants some. I'm sure I'll also have some Bowl of Beauty look alike peony starts too. There are about 5 clumps out there that need to be removed from the old fenceline. Anyone who specifically wants anything I am bringing please let me know so I can put your name on a tag in the pot. That way I know I need to bring at least that many & more if I can.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have pussy willow? I love those and mine died..........

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I would love to come to the Mo. spring roundup but will not know until closer to that time. So many school activities, stuff, etc. going on in the spring. You can bet that I will be trying to open up that weekend so I can come to the Saturday roundup to swap plants, visit, and have a fun day. If I get to go I'll help out with anything I can.
Cuckoo

Put me down for 2 Sensation Lilacs too rockrun. My grandma would LOVE some.

Tipton, IA

no problem pepper got ya for 2 sensations.and leaflady for 1 plus a yellow primrose lilac.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rockrun, could you possibly do 2 Sensations for me? I think Holly, our DIL would love one. Our yardens run together so we would each have one. She took some of our double whites(huge digging out project) when the house was painted 2 years ago but I think they are her only lilacs. I may be able to find some dbl. white sprouts to dig and bring. How do you get lilac cuttings to sprout for you , RR?Are they hard to get to root? I would love to take cuttings and root them for sharing.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I see you all folks! I will be there. Park is very excellent to be fun and see some towns.
Anna

Tipton, IA

htese sprout up rite under or by the bush, even on my other lilacs. dogwood does the same all 3 varieties.

Sedalia, MO

Rockrun, put me down for a start of the hops vine please. Leaflady I would like a start of the spiderwort. thanks

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My lilacs don't put out sprouts. They just make a larger clump every few years. The one Holly dug did have a couple clumps a foot or so away from the main one, but nothing I would call sprouts. I wish they did make sprouts that could be dug and shared. The sprouts from mine are right up tight to the mother plant and you would have to take part of the mother plant to get them. Some of my clumps haven't grown in years. The same size year after year. I called a couple garden centers and did what they said to do but it didn't help.

Sedalia, MO

I have a tea cup rose, I cain't remember if it is yellow or pink? I also have some peacock Iris, I will have to get them dug and potted, still looking to see what else I have.

My grandma is bringing wandering jews, varigated, purple and green, inch plants, and a few others. I am bringing a few peonies. Bringing other plants too but can't think of them right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.