NEW THREAD FOR MARCH, 2007

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

i pulled weeds and enjoyed being alive .
though you might enjoy this

>>>> >> SOUTHERN WOMEN
>>>> >> Southern women appreciate their natural assets:
>>>> >> Clean skin.
>>>> >> A winning smile.
>>>> >> That unforgettable Southern drawl.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their manners:
>>>> >> "Yes, ma'am."
>>>> >> "Yes, sir."
>>>> >> "Why, no, Billy!"
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women have a distinct way with fond expressions :
>>>> >> "Y'all come back!"
>>>> >> "Well, bless your heart."
>>>> >> "Drop by when you can."
>>>> >> "How's your Momma?"
>>>> >>
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their summer weather report:
>>>> >> Humidity
>>>> >> Humidity
>>>> >> Humidity
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their vacation spots:
>>>> >> The beach
>>>> >> The rivuh
>>>> >> The crick
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know the joys of June, July, and August:
>>>> >> Colorful hi-heel sandals
>>>> >> Strapless sun dresses
>>>> >> Iced sweet tea with mint
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know everybody's first name:
>>>> >> Honey
>>>> >> Darlin'
>>>> >> Shugah
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know the movies that speak to their hearts:
>>>> >> Fried Green Tomatoes
>>>> >> Driving Miss Daisy
>>>> >> Steel Magnolias
>>>> >> Gone With The Wind
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their religions:
>>>> >> Baptist
>>>> >> Methodist
>>>> >> Football
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their country breakfasts:
>>>> >> Red-eye gravy
>>>> >> Grits
>>>> >> Eggs
>>>> >> Country ham
>>>> >> Mouth-watering homemade biscuits with momma's homemade jelly
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their cities dripping with Southern charm:
>>>> >> Chawl'stn
>>>> >> S'vanah
>>>> >> Foat Wuth
>>>> >> N'awlins
>>>> >> Addlanna
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern women know their elegant gentlemen:
>>>> >> Men in uniform.
>>>> >> Men in tuxedos
>>>> >> Rhett Butler
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern girls know their prime real estate:
>>>> >> The Mall
>>>> >> The Country Club
>>>> >> The Beauty Salon
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern girls know the 3 deadly sins:
>>>> >> Having bad hair and nails
>>>> >> Having bad manners
>>>> >> Cooking bad food
>>>> >> More Suthen-ism's:
>>>> >> Only a Southerner knows the difference between a hissie fit and a
>>>> >> conniption
>>>> >> fit, and that you don't "HAVE" them, you "PITCH" them.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only a Southerner knows how many fish, collard greens, turnip >>>> >> greens,
>>>> >> peas,
>>>> >> beans, etc., make up "a mess."
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only a Southerner can show or point out to you the general direction
>>>> >> of
>>>> >> "yonder."
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only a Southerner knows exactly how long "directly" is, . as in: >>
>>>>"Going
>>>> >> to
>>>> >> town, be back directly."
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Even Southern babies know that "Gimme some sugar" is not a request
>>>>for
>>>> >> the
>>>> >> white, granular sweet substance that sits in a pretty little bowl in
>>>>the
>>>> >> middle of the table.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> All Southerners know exactly when "by and by" is. They might not use
>>>>the
>>>> >> term, but they know the concept well.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only a Southerner knows instinctively that the best gesture of >>>> >> solace
>>>>for
>>>>
>>>> >> a
>>>> >> neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of hot fried chicken and a big
>>>>bowl
>>>>
>>>> >> of
>>>> >> cold potato salad. If the neighbor's trouble is a real crisis, they
>>>>also
>>>> >> know to add a large banana puddin!
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only Southerners grow up knowing the difference between "right near"
>>>>and
>>>> >> "a
>>>> >> right far piece." They also know that "just down the road" can be 1
>>>>mile
>>>> >> or
>>>> >> 20.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only a Southerner, both knows and understands, the difference >>>> >> between
>>>> >> a
>>>> >> redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> No true Southerner would ever assume that the car with the flashing
>>>>turn
>>>> >> signal is actually going to make a turn.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> A Southerner knows that "fixin" can be used as a noun, a verb, or an
>>>> >> adverb.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only Southerners make friends while standing in lines, ... and when
>>>>we're
>>>> >> "in line," . we talk to everybody!
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Put 100 Southerners in a room and half of them will discover they're
>>>> >> related, even if only by marriage.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> In the South, y'all is singular, all y'all is plural.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southerners know grits come from corn and how to eat them.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Every Southerner knows tomatoes with eggs, bacon, grits, and coffee
>>>> >> are
>>>> >> perfectly wonderful; that red eye gravy is also a breakfast food; >>>> >> and
>>>> >> that
>>>> >> fried green tomatoes are not a breakfast food.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> When you hear someone say, "Well, I caught myself lookin'," you know
>>>>you
>>>> >> are
>>>> >> in the presence of a genuine Southerner!
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Only true Southerners say "sweet tea" and "sweet milk." Sweet tea
>>>> >> indicates
>>>> >> the need for sugar and lots of it -- we do not like our tea
>>>>unsweetened.
>>>> >> "Sweet milk" means you don't want buttermilk.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> And a true Southerner knows you don't scream obscenities at little
>>>>old
>>>> >> ladies who drive 30 MPH on the freeway. You just say,"Bless her
>>>>heart"
>>>> >> ...
>>>> >> and go your own way.
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> To those of you who are still a little embarrassed by your >>
>>>>Southerness:
>>>> >> Take
>>>> >> two tent revivals and a dose of sausage gravy and call me in the
>>>>morning.
>>>> >> Bless your heart!
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >> And to those of you who are still having a hard time understanding
>>>>all
>>>> >> this
>>>> >> Southern stuff, ... bless your hearts, I hear they are fixin' to >>>> >> have
>>>> >> classes on Southernness as a second language!
>>>> >> _____
>>>> >>
>>>> >> And for those that are not from the South but have lived here for a
>>>>long
>>>> >> time, all y'all need a sign to hang on y'alls front porch that reads
>>>> >> "I
>>>> >> ain't from the South, but I got here as fast as I could."
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Southern girls know men may come and go, but friends are fahevah !
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Now...... Shugah, send this to someone who was raised in the South >>>> >> or
>>>> >> wish
>>>> >> they had been!
>>>> >>
>>>> >> If you're a Northern transplant, Bless your little heart, fake it.
>>>> >> We know you got here as fast as you could
>>>> >>
>>>>

LOL Tazzy! Have you been chatting with my dear aunt? ;0)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL!! That sounds like me!! I do alot of those things and when i say just down the road sometimes it is 5 or more miles. Drives people nuts.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Final I m home on March 26 at 11:55 pm...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome back!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I have alot of to do with gardens now it big messing to clean up front and back yard...

Iris growing but no flowers yet!

Green leaves growing on trees!

Time go back to work for Taxi driver geez!

Anna

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Tazzy, I love your piece. We moved to central MO from Chicago when I was 5 and my parents, who were born and raised in Iowa & Chicago did their very best to prevent me from becoming like the southerners around them. The older children(much older I might add)did not succum as I have to some of it. But then, MO isn't all that southern and much of what they ran into was more like a mix of just poor farmers with little education and not too much skill either, and some very tight cliques(?)who didn't like northerners.

Anna, welcome home. Yes, the weeds are growing wonderfully. Aren't we just so blessed. LOL

I ran over our Darcy beagle with the van this morning. I didn't kill her, but she is really sore and one back leg may be broken. I think she was in the middle of the van when she must have fallen or been pushed over but I don't think a tire went over her. There was just a lot of bumping and thumping the whole length of the van over the pipe stock guard and onto the gravel. I gave her a whole one of my muscle relaxers and a Percocet, and Holly carried her into the house for me and checked on her a couple times. I did volunteer work at the food bank today and will go to PG tomorrow. I'll give her pain meds before I leave and leave some for Holly to give her later. I'll come home a bit early. Of course she is in terrible pain. I have beef broth and chamomille tea in front of her but she doesn't seem to want anything to eat or drink. I have to keep her isolated because the 2 terriers will kill her if they can get to her. You know how dog packs are, if the dominate dog is injured the others move in for the kill. I had a terrible time keeping them away from her until Holly got here to carry her to the house for me. She is on the front porch now. The concrete is cool, she is use to spending a lot of time on that porch, and she is safe. Internal injuries are our biggest concern. Only GOD knows what the outcome will be. I leave her in HIS hands.

We've been having rain showers off and on this week. A good one this evening. I saw gray in the distance and thought someone was burning brush but couldn't smell smoke. In a while it was much closer so I stepped outside to see where the 'smoke' was coming from. It was raining pretty hard at that point. Skyler was here so I took him home in the van to see his daddy before he left for work.

I need to get to bed. I'm going to PG tomorrow and need to get up early. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

See as I took pic today and it seem nice to me and I has to till ground. I try to save this plants. As I also brought 3 more new home plants at Wal Mart that it huge leaves coleus and hydrance: pink & green flowers.

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Another pic is coleus & hydrangea:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tazzy, I loved the Southerners! I laughed, I agreed and I wished I was Southern, but only for a minute :))

Leaflady, I am so sorry for your Beagle. I hope she'll be OK.

Rusty56, nice looking plants! My hollyhocks are half the size of yours.

I woke up to rain this early morn. So far we have 1/10'' and a chance for more all day!

We are so emerald green right now. The retirement chairs are officially in place now.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

billyporter you have some chairs there that may get a workout when our midwest heat hits us later on. You'll have to slide them under that nice looking tree in your picture that soon will have leaves!!

Rusty56 are those hollyhocks coming up there in the picture above? They look like it to me. I planted hollyhocks a few years ago and really enjoy them. Must be your coleus or hydrangea I'm seeing there. Lots of green thats for sure.

Cuckoo

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

No, I don't think is hollyhocks.

I wait to see if growing more bigger then I hope it flowers or not. I think more like melon to me! But more like begonia to me! It got so tiny when frost hit last year and still growing...

I try to till ground to save it and get wood fence to keep my dog out of my gardens.

I has been clean up the cut-up trees last Jan icy storm. My ex- help me to cut the tree's branches off the ground and on the tree too...

I brought more plants which it really neat color and try to put the right spot which plant like and happy to grow.

I has been drive to Lebanon today some gal need ride home. So, I drove there and sure I stop by at Shoney that I notice oh boy froglegs! Nice hot cooking froglegs so good fresh. Yum!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 10:42 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Another one:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

More:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Pretty Flowers!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Lovely pictures, RustyRun. I hope to see you at the RU the 28th of April.

Darcy is going to be ok, I think. We have had other dogs with injured pelvic frames and they all did ok. It just takes time. And she is lazy to some degree so tonight I made a sling and made her walk about 15'. She wasn't happy. I know it was an effort after laying mostly in one place all day, then some other place all night. I had the heater on her last night and today. I turned it off a while ago. It's almost 63* outside and the porch is warmer than that with the heater running much of the time. She will mostly only consume Simalac that I got for the old duck who died a few weeks ago. They had a lot of it at the food bank that was going out of date. She wants me to feed it to her with a syringe 10ccs at a time. Tomorrow she will get to walk more and maybe be forced to drink on her own again. She did drink alone for a day then decided yesterday that she wanted more attention than that got her. She eat a few bites of dog food tonight but nothing significant.

Slow at the cafe' tonight. But we did a dandy lunch hour. The special was pork loin. Nice lean pieces. I got a couple of them and some salad bar items & a baked potato. I had snacked on fish, etc. thru out the evening.

I wiped weeds with a really stout mixture of herbicide yesterday afternoon after it had rained. Hopefully the weeds weren't so wet it wasn't effective. I made a hook of #9 wire on a broom handle and hung some rags over the hook. Dipped them in the solution and wiped them across the weeds. I got 3 beds done. I need to do more of course, then lay down the cardboard, newpapers, etc. and top them off with wood chips. That should help with the weed problem somewhat this season.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I hope Darcy heals fast, poor thing.

I am down to one last flower bed. I've been concentrating on dandelions and chickweed mostly. I had a lot of leaves to rake out too. With all the rain I can only imagine how many more weeds are going to grow now that it's turned cold.

The Grackles have learned where the sunflower seeds are.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I had her out in the pen all afternoon and evening. Holly and I talked about it and if she doesn't give up she will be fine. I am now giving her only an 81 mg. delayed release aspirin morning and evening. We are certain there is no risk of internal bleeding at this point.

Holly mowed the lawns today. Lots of grass in the pile now. I love having the grass for mulch. I'll put it on top of newspapers and add some chips. I think I have one day and maybe 2 evenings at home this week. Hopefully I can get some yarden work done. I am eager to see how the herbicide wiping did with the weeds since it rained within a few hours and the plants were already wet from rain earlier in the day.

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Anna, I noticed in the plants you purchased that you have some Chameleon plant. I have circled it in your picture.

This plant is VERY invasive, please choose carefully where you plant it.

Thumbnail by MaryinLa
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I think we get a nice day today. I hope so. It was 40* at 4:30 am and the sun is just up. It's going to freeze this week. I can't wait for April to be over. It's usually chilly and rainy. Not a comfortable combo.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

MaryinLA, I wish that plant would even grow in my yarden. LOL. I have brought it home several times and it just won't take hold. I have several areas it could be very happy in and I would love the ground to be covered with something pretty.

I'm of to the food bank this morning. Then to my elderly friend's to help with some housecleaning or plant room/greenhouse work. Hopefully I can get a haircut in sometime this week. I really need one.

Marshfield, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe it isn't invasive so bad in colder zones, I put it in the ground in South Louisiana and boy was that a mistake!

Uhmm~ Mary you're right!...Think twice, no RUN from that devil plant, er Chameleon plant, burn it, hack it and douple wrap it and throw that devil er Chameleon plant out!! ...My neighbor planted it a couple years back, first year no big deal, 2nd year some digging out, 3rd year it ran rampart all over her yard and away to my garden..and I've been pulling its cousins out ever since! Perhaps they look nice, and perhaps they told you "it's not the one that's invasive" like they told my neighbor...Don't mean to be blunt, but it's not so nice in a garden and it's not so nice in mine, and I didn't plant the devil,er Chameleon plant!!... Perhaps a pot can contain it....if you really must have it!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Oh! Well, I just like the color on my new home but thank for warning me! I didn't know...
I keep in pot as not yet into ground!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Please use this new thread for April:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/708400/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.