NEW THREAD FOR MARCH, 2007

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Something like 21 days till the official first day of spring if you don't count today. The new early beginning of Daylight Stupid Time is March 11th. Why can't people just be truthful and say they are going to work at 7 instead of 6, etc. ?Humans are so arragant. They really believe if they just say something often enough for long enough that it will become true. I see AZ is one of the states that has refused to go along with it. I use to hear that CO opted out but didn't see it listed. I wish MO would opt out of it and practice honesty.

Not much more going on here than what I posted in last month's thread a few mintues ago. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Spring time is on March 20...

Tipton, IA

well i heard on weather they closed i-80 west of desmoines, Ia, blizzard like conditions. oh stay west...some people near us STILL dont have electric, poles were snapped in 1/2.i was going to cut across oasis to go bk rds yesterday and roads still closed, due to power lines. oh spring is coming 20th rite.. well i hear 50 wed. so theres hope///

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I am going to get a bit of a head start with the green. We have a Glassed in room on the house and it can be heated if I want but rarely this time of year does it go down to freezing do to extensive cieling insulation and insulater vertical blinds. So I brought in my Hosta in pots and put them on a big sheet of plastic. I think I will have hosta emerged by St Patricks day.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'll post this on RoundUp forum too, but since we are keeping our RU open to members as well as subscribers most of the talk about it happens on this thread. I just talked to someone at the Bothwell State Park on N. highway 65. There is a roofed shelter but no electricity and the bathroom are some distance away. There is also a $30 reservation fee. Liberty Park, where we have been meeting will not reserve in April so that would be free. There are several roofed shelters and each have electricity to the best of my knowledge and the bathrooms are really close to the one we have been using. If I get there early the morning of 4/28 there should be no problem with holding it for all of us. And there is ample parking right there by it. So what do the majority of you want to go for? Personally I would go with Liberty Park again. It is also closer to any stores we may need to run to for supplies we are lacking. The date is only 2 months away so I wanted to remind everyone of it so the date can go on your calenders.

I talked to Kris this morning and she decided to stay in Liberty last night. Right after she & I talked Shad called her from Independence and said they were getting lots of damaging hail and winds. Next to nothing reached Liberty. If she had gone home she would have driven right into the storm. It's hard to give advice from 90+ miles way.

The northern section of the central midwest is really getting bad weather now. Kind of like St. Louis and Springfield have already gotten so far this year. I'm praying for all of you. Spring may come late this year. Lets see, if March comes in like a lion it is suppose to go out like a lamb, right? Or vise versa. I have know it to go out just like it came in . Usually those were late spring years and it was a lion on both ends.

Oz, that room sounds something like the bedroom I converted into a plant room for a few years. It had been our daughters' bedroom and had E & S exposure. I used it until the meal bugs & aphids became impossible to control. I tried all kinds of insecticides, plain alcohol, soap & water, etc. to no perment avail. Now I have only a few houseplants. Ones that don't seem to be bothered by such pests.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Tipton, IA

good morning, wow wind blew like mad all night.but little snow . good as it drifted. Billy porter, ive lived bt tipton 10 yrs now. before that it was 101/2 by west branch. Steve teases and says dont dig up any more or well have no yard{ no chance} we live outside of tipton, i have 12 peonies , well 13 now cause Lowes got in a purple tree peonie for only 9.99 couldnt resist. I have a line of fruit trees, a herb garden, a rose bed , an area with grapes.rasberries etc. and areas with perennials n vines of course.3-4 lilacs , I always have strts, if you need anything, i may have.i live near timber and if we ride horsesbk we go to creek n pasture to the cedar river.when people come here, we camp down by creek its fun.and i usally always have extra fruit, in fall.

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Spring has sprung here.
Its is hard to enjoy at the moment , but praise God for the sunshine .
DH was recouping from his heart surgery he got a call
yesterday morning at 3 AM ,
from Dans daughter his 39 year old Son had died in his sleep .
He had a massive heart attack , had been checked a year before and no signs ,
This decease killed my husbands father 2 brothers and Dan is only survivor ,
two nephews have had by pass surgery. Heart decease is a curse to this family .
Son was not sick and had no illness in his life .
we praise God for this
but being in the flesh still he is missed so much ! he lite up a room.
please lift a prayer for Dan and his daughters,
We have faith in God but the daughters are baby Christians and very confused

Tazzy~ will continue to pray for your DH, and your family..so sorry to hear of the loss...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Tazzy, that is so sad. I feel really bad for everyone. That is too young to die.

Tipton, IA

tazzy so sorry for your loss, i totally understand there were 7 in my dads family all had triple bypasses in 70s , all gone now but one but one died at 42, my son 35 has high bp already , i lost a son at 7 months of enlarged heart . its like you mention our last name to the heart doc. and they know. you just cant belive one family can have so much. i will keep you all in my prayers, a sudden loss i know is so hard, but spring is coming and may sun shine bright on you and yours and see you thru this.. god bless.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 6:03 PM

Sedalia, MO

Tazzy will put you and your family in my prayers. So sorry for the loss.

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 6:00 PM

Tipton, IA

ok someone turn off the snow its bk. but i know springs comin, were getting dormant bushes in end march.my 81/2 yr old g daughter is helpin me strt my stuff indoors, her and her sister really love to garden and birds,plus our 20+ rabbits[they show rabbits} and cant keep the 51/2 yr old off horses shes so mad its snowin or shed be down in arena .im glad they are interested, so much gets lost these days dont you think?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Tazzy, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Tazzy, thinking of you and your family............

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Tazzy, I'm so sorry for your families loss. It is so hard for baby Christians to understand that GOD knows what is best for us when it hurts us so badly. Perhaps they can come to understand that in taking him like this in his sleep he was spared suffering they can only imagine. Or maybe worse than they can imagine. It is known that some families have inherited tendencies toward certain health issues.

It is suppose to snow here tonight too. Not much, but some. Then start to warm up next week and stay that way. I'm ready.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I was so relieved when the weather warmed up a few days ago and then it started to drop and the wind just would not stop. It is very windy today and snowing. WAAAAH I want to go outside and play in the garden!

There are flurries still but the wind has dies down it seems. I hope it has. I'm tired of the howling wind. Yesterday when I was on my golf cart it gave me an instant face-lift it was blowing so hard.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Still very windy and snow flurries here too. Warmer temps predicted for daytime hours next week but nights will still be very cold. The poor tulips and daffs & other early spring plants have had a nasty shock.

Holly & Kyle's big dog hasn't been outside since 8 last night. He has to go so badly but isn't going to brave the cold weather. I've had ours out a couple times today. Once someone forget what they went our for but remembered after getting back inside. I had a puddle to clean up. Fortuneately we have no carpet anywhere in the house.

I have been working on cleaning off the kitchen counters a bit. I had taken some cans of veggies out of one cabinet and set them out where I would see them & use them but there they still were a week later. I much prefer to cook fresh veggies in the microwave than eat canned ones. I probably should offer them to one of the children.

Has anyone heard from Cuckoo? I am wondering if he got hit with this bad weather up there in the St. Joseph area. I know some was headed that way.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 12:49 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, your instant face lift made me smile!!

Leaflady, I'm trying to eat up the canned vegies too. I'm slowly switching to frozen bags of everything.

I haven't seen Cukoo anywhere either for a while.

It's only 27° and breezy. The sun has been out, but it isn't warm enough to go outside and enjoy it. I wish I had a sheltered area just to sit with some sun on my face. That may be a plan this year for the south east side of the house!

Sedalia, MO

Billy and leaflady, I to switched from canned veg. to frozen and fresh. Less sodium and so much better for you, the main reason I switched was my DH had to start watching his salt intake. It is so much easier to use fresh and frozen as you can cook just what you need and no waste. It is sure cold today, but at least the sun is shinning. Does anyone know how to catch a gerble in a basement? My granddaughters, got lose and one was friendly, and is caught but the other is doing a good job of running and hidding.LOL My daughter called me this A M I told her to maybe get a live trap and bait it.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I just saw somewhere that a tube, with an end capped, will catch rats. Apparently they don't back out of it tho I don't know why they wouldn't. I think they used it for snakes too. I think I was watching it on TV with one eye closed.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Ally, a tall garbage can with a small mesh wire ramp up the outside and down about 1/4 of the way to the bottom on the inside. Bait it with whatever that particular animal's favorite treat. Then pray and wait for it to go up the ramp & jump down into the can. Hopefully it won't take to long as these critters can be very destructive.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

How is the gerbil?

It's finally sunny and the wind has died down, If we didn't have snow on the ground, I'd walk around the yard. DH is on the sideporch cracking walnuts for me. He does a good job. I hung a load of clothes outside. Felt good to do that! Coffee is perking. Good thing, my hands are cold.

Weather is nice here today. Took advantage of it to get out of the house and go shopping for door prizes. I almost went overboard but managed to keep it under control. lol

Sedalia, MO

Well Billy, the gerbil is still on the loose. My DD got two live traps and set them and he ate the bait and didn't even trip the things. My DD says he reminds her of the mouse on Mouse house and he is probably laughing at her.LOL I told her to get some sticky paper and put it next to the bait, she got some today so we will see.We went looking at some antique malls today, it was nice in the car, but the wind is chilly, Looking forward to next week as it is supposed to be warm.

Sedalia, MO

Gerbil update, he is caught and back in his cage! The sticky paper did the trick, although it took two, he ate the bait on the one and went to the second, and then he was stuck good. All is happy!

Tipton, IA

well, my sister and i took my aunt out today shes so much fun 85 but acts 1/2 that, we talked about fixing some containers up when annuals are out. and how well cook out on grill she lost her twin 2yrs this june[my mom] and her husband 2 mo. after. her one son lives in cr but is busy and other has crane service in branson , Mo but we just love goin and taking her with us shes so funny loves out doors and decorating.makes me smile.her one son came up and they flew her to florida last month, she had a good time. was so glad to hear about her trip. and weve been tracing some history bk, found they lived in one of houses still standing at hoover site in west branch.. so a very nice day today.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm glad you caught him Allysgram!

Rockrun, sorry about your Mom. Mine died two years ago in October. Her sister is a lot of fun too.

We have not warmed up yet. The sun felt good, but that breeze.... brrrr. Helped DH square up the plant stand he is building so I can start a lot of plants in the house. We still need to get the flourescents. I start peppers in early to mid March and tomatoes in mid April.

Saw red winged blackbirds early this morn. I have never had them come to the feeders. As far as I know, they've never come into town before. The sun was just coming up.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Tipton, IA

i noticed this yr that since i use suet and lots of variety of seed n feeders, ive got alot variety of birds, its so fun even my 2 yrold g daughter loves them, its rite out my big front window.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Just got home from work a few minutes ago to a chorus of spring peepers. How is that possible? It was below zero a week ago! But a welcome sign that spring is on the way............ :^)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yesterday was nice and warm. I worked outside in the afternoon. Moved a clump of daffodils that was really in the way of mowing. I gave them to Holly. It is so nice to have a DIL who enjoys yardening too. I also dug some soil under the cherry tomato plants from last year and put it in a container where hopefully, more prayerfully, at least 6 seeds will sprout and grow. That will be enough for Holly, Skyler, & I . Kyle doesn't eat raw tomatoes. I'll buy a couple or 3 Roma tomato plants at the PG spring sale or on my spring trip with my friend the first of May. Today is cooler.

I have to work at the cafe' today due to a death in the family. I'll be off by mid afternoon tho so I'll get to town to get business done. Must pay the bills, get my new glasses ordered since finding the perfect frame in K.C. on Monday. I'm not saving any money buying the frame in K.C. but I'm getting the frame I want which I couldn't find in Sedalia. It is totally different from what I have had for several year. That is because I couldn't find what I wanted all these years.

GOD bless and keep each of you. I really mean that.

Tipton, IA

oh i cant belive it but spring must be coming was told today we have dormant fruit trees ariving friday and arb.'s wow.i guess 49 by friday.i am sooo ready.

Benton, KS(Zone 6a)

guess who got their gardens tilled this week!!! hehehee.....bout that time folks!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I took the soil sample in to the garden center to be tested. I am really eager to see just what it will take to make those beds produce well for her.

I'm listening to Joyce Meyers as I type. She is talking about the stuff in our lives we need to get rid of. She pretented to be cleaning a closet as an example. She would take something off the rack and put it in the box of stuff to be taken off, then put it back on the rack for some excuse, etc. until she hadn't really gotten rid of anything. The lesson is, clean out our lives of the things & habits that we no longer need or should never have gotten in the first place like hatred, anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, etc. If it doesn't bear fruit in our lives we shouldn't have it anymore. Especially if it drains you of energy, joy, happiness, takes up time you need to spend doing needful tasks, etc. She can really speak to the common person even if we don't all agree with what she does with all the blessings she has received from GOD. I think she is an example that you can't outgive GOD.

I didn't get everything done yesterday afternoon so I'm going back to town today. I did get my glasses ordered and paid for. The new ones should be here the 13th.

It's still only in the upper 20s this morning but is suppose to get up into the upper 50s this afternoon. Maybe I can get some yardening done while it is warm. Mostly just picking up those huge hollyhock stalks beside the beds. If I can get that done and burn them it will be a big improvement in the yard.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

It's been awhile since I've been here.
I want to tell leaflady that I totally agree with her name and thoughts on the time change!
And I espacially want to tell Tassy how sorry I am about her DH's son. What a shock for them.

My DH and I observed our 50th, monday the 5th. I say "observed" because we aren't into 'celebrating' anymore....:-) . We went to Jasper, Ark. for dinner at the Ozark Cafe'. We had chickenfried steak. It was very good.

I have had crocus in bloom for about a week now. Our daffodils are opening all around our yard, and yesterday I discovered the Anemone blandas are opening. I love them! The Cornelian Cherry's blooms get more yellow every day. It will be interesting to see what all survived our last year's drought.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Leaflady, I believe in negativity draining energy. Nothing is to be gained by hate, anger, and envy. I'm so happy you found glasses you like! It's definately worth it!

Marian, Congratulations! 50 years is wonderful!!

44° tops today. The wind switched to a breeze out of the east, so it isn't warm yet. I wore heavy coat, hat and gloves out to cut ornamental grasses and pick up the smaller ice broken twigs. It felt so good to be outside doing something besides checking the mailbox :))

Sedalia, MO

Mairian congratulations on your 50th! I have been in the yard all week, so good to get outside. I have dug my asparagus plot, tilled the garden, and raked all the leaves, and straw from my flower beds. I will use it as mulch for the garden. I made two raised beds,this year. Will see if they do better. Well I am tired so off to the shower, and then set and relax a little. It is a good tired not complaining.

Congrats on your 50th!! I haven't done any work in the gardens yet. If it gets as warmas they are saying next week then I will then. A few need grass pulled out.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

I started in ours today. We bought 1 3/4 ton of flagstone and a Bradford Pear ( Cleveland Select Strain) So I planted a 10 ft tree and also layed out about 1 1/2 tons of flagstone where they will be after they are dug in. Did not get but 7 dug in today. Does not matter anyway it was enpough for this old guy anyway. Seems like every spring things seem harder to do than last spring.

You got 7 in or have 7 left? Either way that's not bad for a day's work. Especially when you count planting a big tree.

Mowing season is almost here and I have to learn to drive and back our new mower out of the shed. My dad doesn't think I will be able to do it but I will try anyways. I am a good backer. lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.