Turnera from seeds?

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Got some seeds of this one but did not find a way to germinate them. Any helpful hint?
Do they need special treatment?

Thanks

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Nobody?

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi there. I can't help you with personal experience, but maybe the data in a paper I found on the web might (if Turnera trionaflora is the one you are talking about)? The citation is "Heterostyly in Turnera trioniflora, a Roadside Weed of the Amazon Basin, by Barbara L. Bentley, Biotropica Vol. 11, No. 1, pgs. 11 - 17, © 1979 The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation". I can't link you to it directly because my access to it is granted through the university that I work at.

The germination info I saw is in a comparison between Turnera trionaflora and a weed. It doesn't look like they did anything special with the seed, saying that, "seeds will germinate under a wide variety of conditions", "50 percent of the seeds germinate immediately with adequate water but dry seeds will remain viable for at least 18 months", and "plants flower within ten weeks after germination". The author of the paper germinated the seeds in a greenhouse in soil filled flats. Seedlings were transplanted at 8 weeks to 8 inch pots to grow to maturity.

You might even find it worthwhile to read this paper if you can - a very interesting plant, especially regarding pollination if you are looking to collect seeds from your own later on. If you want to know more and can't find the paper, dmail me and I'll try to give you a brief synopsis of what I read.

--Ginny

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Thank you so much Ginny, I think I will try many ways so one might work. My seeds shouldn't be old, maybe 6-12 months.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

You're very welcome :-) Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.