Trichostema lanatum HELP?

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Anybody has experience with sowing this plant?
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/680.htm
Got a few seeds and wanted to get the best result possible.

Thanks for any help.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Nobody?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've only grown it starting as a plant, never from seed so I can't help with the germination bit. But if you do get it to germinate, I'm not sure it'll do too well for you after that, I don't think it's hardy in your zone so it will probably be an annual for you (not sure if it blooms in its first year from seed or not), and it also doesn't like summer water, so I'm afraid that if you get any rain during the summer months it may be unhappy.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I like chalenge LOL! When a plant is worth the trouble, I can manage to overwinter it in the house ;-)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm more worried about your summers than your winters, I figured if you wanted it bad enough you could protect it over the winter, but I don't know that there's much you can do to protect it from summer rain. Do you have a protected patio where you could keep it so that it doesn't get rained on but will still get a lot of sun? And make sure you watch the watering too, I've found that plants like this that are native to areas that get no summer rain can be tough to keep in pots. You obviously have to give them some water because they can't send their roots deep down into the soil to find water like they do in their native environment, but they tend to be very susceptible to fungal infections if they get a little too much water so there's a very fine line between over and under watering them.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

I will keep them like cactus then, terra cota pot plus overdraining mix.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.