Failures with Nigella

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I cannot get these to germinate! Specifically this one: Nigella papilosa "African Bride". I don't have many seeds left to play with so if anyone can give me a few hints I would be very appreciative.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

How deep are you planting?

I just looked it up in a book I have, says:
Indoors 6-8 weeks before planting out, in peat pots; however, sowing in situ (so where they would naturally occur) is usually more successful. The term self seeding is often associated with these but not sure if the African Bride strain is the same as the more common one. You originally get it an Annie's?

Depth: Just cover
Germination time: 8-15 days
Requirements: 65-70F

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I got them from Parks seeds and followed their instructions. I can't quite remember but I think I sowed them on the surface and may not have covered them. Only 2 out of 1/2 a packet germinated. Didn't use peat pots though, just regular plastic pots and fert free seeding mix. I would prefer to start them in pots - I'm likely to yank any self seeders when doing the weeding.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Yeah, me too, prefer to plant in pots. I do have them on my wish list at Annie's for when they become available, figure I get one or two and hope for self sown ones then. I have the regular ones still popping up all over for the past several years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.