What specifically did you do to get these to germinate? Tamara
Delphinium
Canterbury Bells (Campanula medium)
Verbena x hybrida (F1 hybrid)
Stephanotis floribunda
Vigna caracalla
Begonia x tuberhybrida

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Canterbury bells germinated fine for me in a wintersowing container.

V. caracalla needed to be nicked, soaked overnight, and started with bottom heat of 78-80 degrees F. (I have heat mats now, but they hadn't arrived yet when I germinated my V. caracalla... I found that turning on my oven light -- just the light! -- and propping the door open a bit with a towel maintained a nice even heat around 80 degrees... test first, as you don't want to cook the seeds with temps over 85F.)

Verbena I've started inside, under lights... first sowed them in a shallow seed starting tray (I use take out containers, with holes on the bottom for drainage and watering and holes in the top for ventilation), then transplanted into cell-packs when they had a couple of true leaves. I don't remember offhand if they needed warmer or cooler temps for germination, but check Tom Clothier's site and you should be able to find that info as well as tons of other things... http://tomclothier.hort.net/

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, critter! When you nick, how deep should it be? Just a little scratch or more like a deep gouge? ;-) Tamar

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I gave my two seeds a pretty good gouge with nail clippers, but that was probably more than was needed... As I recall, the seeds visibly swelled after soaking when they'd been nicked, so if they don't swell with water after a little scratch, then give them more of a nick and soak again. Initially, I nicked one and not the other of my seeds, trying to hedge my bet... and when the one that was nicked had sprouted, I dug up the other one, nicked it, soaked it again, and replanted it. Two seeds -- two plants! :-)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Delphinium, These take a while. I planted mine Feb 11th, and they are just starting Feb. 27th.

First I stored the seed packet in the refig. for one week, then sowed them in six pack cells with damp germiniation mix and sealed in ziplock bag and back into refrig. for another week. The put under light in cool basement 57º Just now getting results. Oh. I removed the plastic bag but they are in a domed flat.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Critter--thanks for clarifying!
Lady--Hi there! Can delphinium be winter sown? Tamara

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Tamara, I have never winter sowed, so don't know the answer, but the delps need a cold spell, and light to get started. I coverered mine lightly but set under the light in the basement. I'll have to take a picture and post it later today, when I get back from Mentor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.