Daily Pics - 4

Melbourne, FL

I thought perhaps time to start a new daily pic thread. I'll begin with a few of the many shots I took today. The weather was beautiful and I was outside almost all day. Here's a Mockingbird taking a cool drink (or cooling his feet).

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Tons of Cedar Waxwings around today, finding every berry producing tree in the neighborhood.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Closer look.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

The first Downy Woodpecker I have seen.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

One of my resident red-bellied Woodpeckers trying out an orange.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

The Mockingbirds are nest-building.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Beautiful pictures.

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics garden!

Melbourne, FL

Thanks Stacysmom and Pelletory.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Great pics! I didn't know the Red Bellie would eat oranges too...my mocking bird is loving them. Have you ever tried grape jelly for the Red Bellies? I put some out last summer for the orioles and the RB loved it!

Marlton, NJ

What did you put the jelly in stacie?

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm not stacie :-) but I rigged up a little "fly thru" feeder by modifying a cheap seed feeder, removing the plastic sides and adding plastic cup stuck down with....(drum roll)...duct tape, LOL! I attached a long rope and hung it from a big elm tree behind the house, tying the rope off to our fence. I was trying to keep from attracting raccoons. I need to put some more out with the other feeders to see if the RBs are still interested, maybe the Mocking bird will like it too...
Here's a pic of the Red Bellie, I'll see if I have one with the Oriole...

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's the Oriole...

Thumbnail by sadie_mae
Marlton, NJ

Oh thats neat, and I happen to have an old feeder I can do that to. Thanks sadie! :-)

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Sadie, I'm waiting for the orioles to show up here anyday. I always put out bowls of sugar water, but will try the jelly this year. The darn birds around here are eating better than me ! Is there anything else they like ?

Melbourne, FL

Neat idea Sadie! I really put the orange out hoping the Mockingbird would like it, since he started eating the raisins from the feeder, but so far they have not shown any interest.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

betterbloom - I had heard that the Orioles would eat oranges but I never saw them eat any, the grape jelly was the only other thing I tried. I had thought about getting one of those Oriole feeders that hold the nectar but never did.

gardenpom - this Mockingbird ate 2 oranges and then I bought a different kind and he hasn't touched it. I bought the other kind this weekend and am going to try it this week, maybe he just got enough Vitamin C, LOL, he's also slowed down on the peanut butter and oat mixture I put out but he is still guarding his feeder! Maybe it has something to do with the temps FINALLY getting above freezing.

Melbourne, FL

I think they do prefer different foods when the weather is warmer. I have suet out which the woodpeckers like, but I bet they will not eat it much when the weather stays warm.

Marlton, NJ

I think it depends on the wp. My downys eat it year round.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A female Pine Grosbeak, this is a far north resident. The male has a Rose-red head, chest, and back. I took this picture, near the bird feeder, at the Eagle River Visitors Center, Chugach State Park. I will have to go back again to see if she has a mate.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A Gray Jay was also hanging out near the bird feeder, at the Eagle River Visitors Center, Chugach State Park this afternoon.
They are also far northern residents.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

I love the Gray Jay! Nice pics Gras!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Gras. I love seeing new birds!
Deb

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pell & Deb. When I finished sorting today's pic's, I found this better shot, of the female Pine Grosbeak.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cute new birds! Love the Jay's tail.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Gardenpom - I had no idea we get the Cedar Waxwings. I have never seen any in my area, but now there is hope since you actually photographed them at your place! I am soooo envious of all the northern states folks and their mass variety of birds. I seem to see just the year round resident birds at my feeders.

Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a female cardinal I was able to snap of picture of.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Fellsmere, FL(Zone 9b)

Also a goldenfinch I think.

Thumbnail by Marilyn_FL
Lawrenceville, GA

Oh! I wish I could get cedar waxwings. I have bushes with berries, soak raisins, put out birdbaths and everything else I've heard will bring them but still NOTHING! They look like little robbers to me.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I've only seen one Cedar Waxwing with my own two eyes. Several years ago one landed on the rocks around my pond. I tried to describe him to my husband, but didn't have a clue what he was. Your comment:

Quoting:
They look like little robbers to me.
was just what I told my husband. HAHAHAHA

I'd love to see more come through this area. We don't have the pond any more thanks to hurricane Rita. I keep watching, and hoping to see them again though.

Janet

Marlton, NJ

Had to work today so I didn't have anytime left for bird pics but did catch this big boy in the yard this afternoon. Common Grackle

Thumbnail by pelletory
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pelle: Grackles are really amazing birds. I love that irridescence (sp?).

I didn't get a chance to get any pics today either. Before I left home this morning tho, I did spot a Red-bellied WP on the suet, first in several days, and a Nuthatch, but they both disappeared before I could grab the camera.

Deb

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I usually hear the Cedar Waxwings before seeing them. They make a high pitched Eeeeee sound. You look up and they will be roosted in the top of a tree. They seem to send out scouts and when they spot food or water they call the others, before you know it there will be 30 of them. They will systematically dive on a water source, one by one or pass berries from one to another up a limb to feed each other.

Melbourne, FL

Some shots from today, starting off with a Blue Jay and his prize.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Painted Bunting at feeder.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Mockingbird after the Firebush berries.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Grackle in all his glory.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Gardenpom: Thanks for giving me my Painted Bunting fix. :)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.