Daily Pics - 4

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Great shots Gardenpom!! There are a lot of great photos in this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your birds with me.

I love seeing the Grackles in parking lots. I drove up to the drive thru window at Dairy Queen and there were about 20 of them listening as I gave my order. I inched up and they looked at me with big hopeful eyes. I said to one bird, I'm sorry but I don't have my food yet or I'd give you some fries. I watched as one in particular went to the outside spigot and started licking the rim of the spout. A trickle came out and he was gobbling it up. I drove up to the window and got my food. The combo basket I ordered had fries and I didn't want them. I drove to the other side of the building, directly across from where 20 had been sitting there. I was going to give them all of my fries. There wasn't a single bird in sight. I waited and waited a few minutes and they didn't show back up. I left and went to do my business.

There is a hardware store that Connie and I go to all the time. They have a popcorn machine and a coke machine there. They offer a bag of popcorn and a soda to their customers while they shop. I always get an extra bag. Then when I get to the parking lot, I scatter it away from traffic so the bajillion birds that hang out there will get some. They're little beggars and they know I will always bring them something. :-)

Janet

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet, you're such a softie!!!

Gardenpom, wonderful photos!

A better Blue Heron day - same swamp area as yesterday.

Thumbnail by Murmur

And this one . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur

And another . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur

Last one . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pics Murmur!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pics....he was definately watching you!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
he was definately watching you

Actually, it isn't! Herons have binocular vision, looking straight down their beaks (for stabbing at fish accurately) - if it wanted to look at you, it would do so head on, not sideways ;-)

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Sarus Crane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarus_Crane

Taken at Wildlife Safari some time ago. This is the worlds tallest flying bird.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Another

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

East African Crowned Crane

Also taken at Wildlfe Safari.

Thumbnail by tigerlily

Mercy! Makes you wonder how they can get themselves off the ground!!!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Wild Turkey

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

Great pics tiger! I love the African Crowned Crane!

Fort White, FL

Murmur and Sheila...thanks for sharing...what beautiful birds!
Joyce

Fort White, FL

Loved the pics of the BIG birds...anyone have a pic to share of the Sandhill Cranes? They fly over our house but this year evidentally did not land in their usual spot in Gainesville.
Joyce

Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

Pair of hawks that make their home in an oak tree at the back of my property.

Thumbnail by SacValley
Melbourne, FL

Three shots taken today. First up, a Woodpecker.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second shot, Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Third shot, Cardinal.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

As always, you folks blow me away with your gorgeous photos. Thanks for sharing them. I've learned so much from these threads about many different kinds of birds. I go back through the threads over and over just awestruck at everyone's photos. Please keep them coming.

Janet

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Downy woodpecker, first one I've seen in my backyard.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Wilton, CA(Zone 9b)

He's a cutie

Marlton, NJ

Congratulations b ! They are sweet little birds. I've been able to get within a few feet of mine; their not shy.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Congrats bsharf!!! Put a little chunky peanut butter on a knot hole near where he landed, and maybe she will stop for a bite again.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

JoyceDee asked: "Loved the pics of the BIG birds...anyone have a pic to share of the Sandhill Cranes?"

I took this shot, of Sandhill Cranes, in a field on the University Of Alaska Experimental Farm, Palmer, AK 9/3/2006. This is only as few individuals from a large migratory flock.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A second shot showing more members of the Sandhill Crane flock.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Quoting:
I took this shot, of Sandhill Cranes, in a field on the University Of Alaska Experimental Farm, Palmer, AK 9/3/2006

Seems very early for them to be in Alaska, was last spring unusually warm? Have they arrived yet this year?

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Keep 'em coming folks! Am enjoying the images, even if I'm too busy to respond as often as I'd like. The past few days have been very spring like, so I've spent most of my time outside.

Was letting the critters out one morning when I saw a Golden watching me from my tallest tree. Wow! It flew almost as soon as we made eye contact, but that was pretty awesome!

This message was edited Mar 6, 2007 7:43 AM

This message was edited Mar 6, 2007 7:50 AM

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Some recent shots.
Stellers landing

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Western Scrub Jay

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Beautiful birds Tiger. I've never seen a Scrub, other than photos. Usually they are all fluffed up and "scrubby" looking. Looks like yours has been to a salon! 8*}

Janet

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Tiger, goldens are incredible. They are sooooo big!!!!!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin, the standard date system here is MM DD YYYY, I believe you use DD MM YYY. No, they won't be here for another couple of months. Note the: "This message was edited Mar 6, 2007 7:43 AM" directly under your question.

So the pic was actually taken on 3/9/2006?

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin, if you are ever traveling on this side of the pond, don't even consider buying a digital watch. Because, you will not be able to program the date - backwards.

Fort White, FL

Thanks for the pics of Sandhill Cranes in Alaska. I've missed seeing them this year. The Robins, however, have come by this year and are staying awhile...guess they know it is still cold and snowly up north. We are enjoying them bobbin along and taking baths in our bird bath.
Joyce

Marlton, NJ

Starting a new thread, please go Here.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/699421/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.