Goji Berry Questions

Aptos, CA

I ordered a goji berry this year and am seeking culture advice.

How easy is it to propagate?

How is it propagated?

What do you fertilize it with ( organic please ).

Do you find it tatstey to deer?

Do aphids or other naughty bugs particularly like it?

Did you keep it in a container, or put it in the ground?

Thanks!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

This is a commercial site, but it does seem to have a good deal of information:

http://www.timpanogosnursery.com/site/928760/page/416906

Aptos, CA

Thank you Yuska,

I actually ordered from that company...I would love input from someone who has actually grown the plant...trials, errors, successes etc...

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Where did you get your goji berry at ? I'm getting mine at raintreenursery

I posted a while back what the diff was between goji berry and the wolfberry as alot of folks thin k their the same fruit.

I also bought a wolfberry I think it's a vine though.

I'm goin g to watch this post for info too,

I do hear their very hardy way below zero tollerance. I don'tknow about the propegating methods though. Except through seed.

There are goji berry plants on ebay for sale as well. HIgh dollar plants though LOL.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

yuska
How do you think this berry will do in hot and humid weather?

I went to the site you posted and they said that they couldn't guarantee that it would grow and fruit in any region other than the mountains of Utah.Tibet is also high altitude. The plant is $35 with shipping.I don't want to take a chance.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

email raintreenursery.com they sold me one for l6.95 and ebay also has them. their dormant bareroot stock I've got a current bid on one of those auctions LOL

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

downscale_babe, you've posed a question that probably has no answer at this point. One line under the picture says the plants can tolerate temps over 100 degrees but doesn't say how many such days can be endured. This area is heat zone 9, which means we are likely have 120 days or more above 86F/30C. That's the point at which molecular damage of a plant's protein structure can begin. I may decide to experiment but will start with seeds. Not just because of cost, but to allow the seedlings time to acclimate to these conditions. Couldn't expect berries before the second year if then, but could try both inground and container planting, shading & mulching techniques, etc.

My success rate with jostaberry was zilch, so I've tried to curb my usual inclination to just try everything. Yuska

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Yuska

Thanks for the info.I think that I am going to pass on this one.My inclination is the same as yours.

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.