Mystery seeds...how to sow?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I just did a RR and there was a packet of seeds in there with just a "?" on it. I'm up for a little mystery so I took the packet. I have no idea what this might be, so how should I go about sowing it? Here's my thinking...I could split them up and do some indoors under lights (but when?) and winter sow some and see what grows. Should I do some with the baggie method? And of the ones started indoors, should some be in the dark and some be exposed to light? Or am I just totally being too anal? ;-) Tamara

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Is there any way you can find out from the other people in the RR who sent the mystery seeds, and then find out what sorts of plants they grow in their garden? Even if they don't know exactly what it is, if they tend to grow a number of similar sorts of plants in their garden then that might give you some insight into the right way to start them. You might also try taking a pic of the seeds and posting it in the ID forum, I've been shocked at how people there have been able to ID seeds that to me looked very generic. Again whatever sort of info you can get from the RR participant could help lead the ID people in the right direction.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Yeah test me ... can you photo the seds and post? pleasey please! lol

Mike

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Be careful, you never know what they might grow in to! ;-)

Thumbnail by LarissaH
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL Larissa!!!!!!! Thanks for the biggest chuckle. Been awhile since I seen the Little Shop Of Horrors movie.

Feed me seymour!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

That was so funny!!!

Did the seed come from a chinese guy?

If the seed has Audrey any where in it name, RUN!!!! No wonder I was in a hurry to mail out that RR.

Don't run, just feed the other half to it and claim on the insurance! heheh

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, Mike...here you go! So, smartie pants, what are they? ;-) Tamara

Thumbnail by zone5girl
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

To me those look like some kind of composite, like zinnia or maybe dahlia.

Hmm Ok you got me there its not as easy as i hoped but i'm going for Stokesia or good old Rudbeckia its really hard to see the shape on photo's

My Dahlia seed looks rounder, its a big old group of plants though! But i'm happy to go with Compositae... It may keep me awake... but i doubt it.lol

Mike

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I know...my camera's only 3.1 MP. DH won't let me get something more expensive. He says it's good enough. Maybe I need to tell him that you need a more crisp picture to i.d. the seeds, so I *have* to get a new camera. ;-) He loves his Mustang like I love my garden, so as long as there are car parts to be purchased, it looks like I'm stuck with my crappy camera. I just winter sowed the seeds today, and I'll start some indoors in about 6 weeks. When I get the first set of true leaves, I'll post again and see what you guys think. Tamara

Its allways a good idea to try starting them in different ways.
He won't let you buy a camera because he has a car... isn't that a little unfair??? My misses buys exactly what she wants and i do the same as long as we both put the same into the joint account to pay the bills we spend our own money how we like! No arguments so far..lol

Wouldn't it be nice to have a good picture of his car? heheh Not that i know what a mustang is.. i have an Audii tt but never heard of a mustang.

Mike

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

They do resemble dahlia, but my seeds are much darker, unless these are not mature. However, I think gemini_sage is on the right track. I'd start a few seeds in sterilized medium under lights indoors... lightly covered... and see what comes up. If it is dahlia, they germinate fairly fast and are easy to indentify early on.

You see you need to take pictures just to keep us all guessing. hehe

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL!!!

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

Is that the movie or a play version? Looks different some how.

Madison, WI

Just came across this link in another forum http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/seedsize12.html

I use that site quite a bit but the pics are poor quality so cant see some of the details on some seeds. Gives a good over view though.

Mike

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Mike, it's been suggested before that we have our own seed images here on DG. I think it is an excellent idea. Some of us have entered photos of seeds and ripe seed heads in the PF, but having their own place might be nice. They could be filed according to family and genus, since the seeds are so similar between species.

Sounds good to me.
Will take time to build the photo numbers up but well worth it.

Mike

I have been making the effort to photo my seeds as I go and add to the plant files, I don't have the best camera but hoping that some one will say, "Hey I can do better" and get a clearer image. Also taking pictures of seedling and adding them also. Take a look at my journal, I add to both Journal and plant files.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Mike, the problem is that I don't "contribute"...monetarily, that is. I am a stay at home mom, and my DH makes the money. When our youngest (he's 18 months now) starts preschool, I will look into getting a part-time job, so I can have some fun money. Maybe I just need to butter him up some more. ;-) Tamara

Lady G, ill take a look at your journal now. I think some of the plant file entries do have seed and seedling pictures. Some of the common plants just have everyone and there dog uploading pictures of there flowers and uploading. Once i've seen one marigold flower i dont need another 20 to look at. hehe. Would be much better to limit the number of flower uploads and start having a few of other parts of the plant.
Either that or a new list just for the seed/seedlings!

Tamara,
I know what the rug rat thing is like. I have a little guy who is 8 months. I work though and the misses works 3 days a week. My day off used to be for gardening now its taken up with changing nappies!

Mike

Mike I agree, I was looking at Lantana camara, 63 photos Yes, there are color differences shown, a few whole plant pictures and some with the seed berries on the plant, no pictures of the dried seeds or the seedlings. I try to check the photo files before I post, and if there is nothing different for me to add I'll just post the picture in my journal so I have my personal record.

I'm not in favor of having a separate seed file, Unless it was linked to the plant file, I have seen some plants that I felt were placed in the wrong file or another file started and the plant hard to locate. Nothing is perfect I guess.

Chris

Yeah would definetly have to be linked if it was another file.
63 pics! Wow thats some popular plant. lol

Really nice link enya_34.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Zone 5girl,

The seeds look very much like being from Centaurea cyanus (Cornflower),
also the colour.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, bonitin! Tamara

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm not sure what they are, but I looked up Centaurea cyanus and they don't appear to be them.

Here's a enlarged photo I found on the web of Centaurea cyanus seeds.

http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2006/01/centaurea_cyanus.php

Joy

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I agree, Joy. I have bachelor button seeds, and the mystery seeds are different. It will be cool to see what they are! Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.