Single seed sowing

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OK -- i've seen mention of using T-paper rolls, Styrofoam cups and various other things to sow in for individual plants.

how is that done exactly? would I say, fill the T-paper roll to the top with soil then put in the seed -- and basically do that until i fill some sort of "holder" for all the "rolls/cups,etc" ?

I've been saving the empty rolls thinking i could use them somehow.

TIA,

Terese

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think that's the idea... you could then put all the rolls/cups into something like a plastic storage container with holes poked in top and bottom...

If you're also starting seeds inside, I've heard the TP tubes are good for things like squash and cukes that don't like the confinement of regular pots or the disturbance of being popped out of their pots at planting time (although I've started cukes a few weeks ahead in larger cell-pack pots with no problems).... think of them as bottomless peat pots.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm sure Jill's right on. The zipper bags that blankets come in are good covers for small containers.
Since you mentioned you are saving t-paper rolls, I know of another excellent use for them in protecting young seedlings from cutworms after transplanting into the garden. Cut the paper tubes in half and place them around the seedlings. Push the tubes into the ground so that they are secure. Excerpt from the book, Gardening Made Easy.
Deborah♥

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Deborah, I did something like that one year, but then somebody (maybe Carolyn? somebody whose opinion I trusted, anyway) said that collars don't stop cutworms, they'll just come right up into the soil at the base of the stem and do their thing. That person suggsted a small stick tied up against the plant in a way that would keep a cutworm from encircling the stem.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll try the sticks too. I do have little wooden coffee stirs.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks for the tips. and I have TONS of slugs... guess i'm gonna have to do something about them this year. Do toads eat them?

>>The zipper bags that blankets come in

oh geeze - and I've been tossing those things for year. I'll have to rummage thru my closets to see if i have any left.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I heard that you can save your egg shells and crush them up to scatter around your plants to ward off slugs.; shallow dish of lemonade or beer too. Frogs are a gardners friend for eating a belly full of slugs..

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I do save egg shells for my compost. Now I'll save'em to add directly to my flower beds.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

For slugs I've had excellent results with Sluggo and Escar-go.

Karen

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Karen -- i've seen that product mentioned before... i may have to invest in some. I never minded slugs, as to me they are snails without shells (i love snails) ... but seeing the damage they can do. YIKES - and especially for hostas, which i'm getting this year.... oh and that poor gal's seedlings (can't recall the thread) that got all munched.... gonna have to iradicate them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.