Tall Beardeds "C"

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Yes, spurias are hardy to 4. I know an iris collector (he has over 600) who has some large spuria clumps.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have read that LA irises can be grown in zone 5, but my biggest problem with them would be the acid soil. I would have to work hard to create an acid bed. It is my understanding that LA Iris don't necessarily require so much water, though -- at least I have heard that from DGers.
But Spurias might be better for my sanity and better suited to the climate. Besides, I don't have a lot of flowers that bloom in the fall -- mostly just chrysanthemums. I have been trying to extend the blooming season in my flower garden, so Spurias would fit in nicely.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am growing Louisianas with no soil amendment--lots of clay. I have Japanese that I have planted in "low" spots. we'll see how they do over time. I'm too lazy to water them.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I would think that if LAs will grow in Iowa they will grow in New Mexico. Is your soil acid or alkaline? As for Japanese, they are georgeous. I may try them later on, when I don't have so many plants still in pots to plant -- including tall bearded iris. I could plant them by the downspout of the gutters or where the back flow preventer for the automatic watering system lets out.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

That's what I was afraid of Doss, now to figure out what it is.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am in zone 5 and have some Dutch Iris that do well on the east side of the house. I'm too lazy to deal with potted plants. My soil is mostly heavy clay that is being amended over the years with grass clippings and wood chips--pretty neutral.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.