Where to buy large quantities of perlite and fertilizer?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I want to buy some bales of perlite (not the little 8 quart bags I see around) and large quantities of osmocote or other controlled release fertilizer. And I'm cheap. Any ideas?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

have you checked a farmer's supply kind of place?
friendly with a nursery , that you could ask where they get it ?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd give "Southern States" a call. I'm not sure where the closest store to Chevy Chase is, but I know of one in Vienna, Upper Marlboro, and I think Germantown. They're all over the area. Here's one of their websites: http://farmandhomeservice.com/

You might also try calling Behnke's to see where they get their supplies. I'd try to get a number for their Lothian location where they do most of their growing, as opposed to the retail locations.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I'll try all those suggestions -- I'll probably make calls on Saturday.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Let us know what find out. (smile)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok. I want to get some turkey grit, and nikki_conway recommended Farm & Home Svc Incorporated, (410) 465-0930, www.agway.com, 9064 Frederick Rd, Ellicott City, MD 21042. They say they sell a 50 pound bag for about $6, and that they have granite grit (as opposed to oyster shell grit, which changes the acidity).

Anyway, they say they also have 4 cubic foot bales of perlite for about $18. They were out of osmocote.

American Plant Food has a 50 pound bag of osmocote (19-6-12) for $114.99, and 4 cubic foot bales of perlite for $21.99.

I can't find Micromax, but I'm going to continue hunting for it locally. I'm going to buy this stuff maybe next weekend; if anyone wants me to pick up any for them, let me know (probably wouldn't be any more convenient than buying it yourself, but just in case . . . ).

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info.

Hey, what's the turkey grit used for - are you trying to lighten your CLAY soil by any chance? Or are you making your own potting mix?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I've never used it before. But I have heard it can be used instead of sand to lighten soils, and I'm going to try and put together a whole lot of containers for my patio this year (I got more tropicals than I should have on the co-op). Sand tends to wash out of our soil, plus even construction sand is a little too fine a grade. And I've heard that, sprinkled on top of the soil, it'll repel fungus gnats. And it seems to me I've seen other uses. So for $6 a bag, I'm going to give it a whirl.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks - I recently read about the fungus gnats myself. I'm sort of in the same boat in that I've acquired a lot more Large sized containers for a new patio, so I've been toying with the idea of mixing my own stuff this year. I may very well end up following your lead, but I'll likely hold off for a few more weeks.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's good for keeping the slugs away from your plants, too, Happy.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

And do I ever have slugs, Hart! Thanks!

Wrightie, where did you get your large containers? That has me stumped -- they are awfully expensive.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Tuesday Morning!!! Do you know those stores? This is the time of year to go and scoop them up. I bought some XL ceramic pots for $50 each (same type at Behnke's are over $100).

you might want to read about making your own potting soil- it was probably in the soils and composting forum that I read it- anyway, fine pine bark is a good addition for drainage. I'll look for the thread or recipe.

you might want to read about making your own potting soil- it was probably in the soils and composting forum that I read it-
Small batch: potting soil by tapla, daves garden

3 gallons pine bark
1/2 gallon peat
1/2 gallon perlite
handful lime (careful)
1/4 cup CRF ( I didn't note what this is)
1 tsp micro-nutrient powder or a dash of manure ;o)
This is how I copied it from a thread. There was a long discussion about the importance of good drainage. Anyway, FYI to consider , flling all those pots.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the potting soil recipe. Tried a Google search for CRF. Could be Constitutional Rights Foundation or Conditional Random Fields or even Chronic Renal Failure! May have to D-mail tapla to find out.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOLOLOL! I vote for 1/4 cup of chronic renal failure. LOL

It's controlled release fertilizer.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Great price on that grit!! Runs between $10 & $12 at our Southern States down this-a-way. Now I'll tell you what's a pain in the behind to find...Pumice!! Mercy...you'd think it was gold or something!! Cheapest I've found is thru an ebay seller I just used for the first time. Good price (compared with other quotes I've rec'd) and speedy shipping.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What do you use pumice for? Other than to smooth the skin on the soles of your feet . . . . .

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh Chantell!! Where did you find the pumice? I've only seen it offered at Grigsby and I believe Charley's GH has it. Both these places are on the West coast. I've always felt there HAD to be somebody on the East coast who sells it. I really would like some to repot all my sans in this Spring.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130081727108&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D130081727108%2B%2B%26fvi%3D1 (yes, they're in CA - but still cheaper then the suppliers I found closer to the east coast - go figure)
I only ask, if you remember, that you tell the seller that Chantell aka RdAngel07 (ebay buyer name) past on their name to you - please. I told the seller that I would be passing their name on. I believe I compared their price to everyone I knew of and they were the cheapest. Talk about fast shipping? Shipped the day I paid...within three days in was delivered!!!
happy...LOL...although my feet need it more...you know I LOVE my C & S...it is wonderful to use as part of my C & S soil mixture but challenging to get out here b/c of shipping...thank God for flat rate boxes. And for you that like Plumies....same thing...great to mix in their soil. It's win-win for me to be able to keep this on hand. :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What does it do to the soil? Is it comparably to coconut husk chips (which I just bought some of)? (Wow -- I jus looked at that site -- doesn't it make you gag to see the price of shipping exceeding the price of the stuff you are buying -- but of course I am reaching for my checkbook already!)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The coir I've used is: Botanicare CocoGro Premium Coir You can sometimes find it on ebay - there is also a supplier I use outside of ebay if you're interested. The pumice helps with many things - drainage esp. If you google it as a soil ammendment (sp?) you'll get more info then you wanted...LOL. I just know that I've heard great things about it for both C & S' and for Plumies. As for the coir, I've had good luck with that as well...I've just been told to be wary of buying that which is sold for reptile use - too much sodium content. And before I forget...the flat rate shipping is nothing compared with the amounts I was quoted from others...ugh!!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I just bought some CHC but haven't even opened the container. Some people thought the coir was too finely ground, so I went with CHC. Remains to be seen whether that was the right thing to do. I am getting some tropicals, so the pumice probably makes sense! Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a struggling Thanksgiving cactus -- do you think it might help it?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I think the generally thought on them is that they look a little wimpy at this point in the year...seems most say to wait until spring when you see new growth before doing anything with them. I'm no expert...but it does seem mine looks less then lush toward the end of winter/beginning of spring each year.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I've very worried that mine -- which is very old -- isn't going to make it this time. It looks awful. I'm letting it just rest quietly for now . . .

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy,

I can suggest another farm supply type of a place right here in Rosedale. It is called "Meyer Seed International" and is on 4321 Fitch ave. just off of Rossville Blvd. They sell all kinds of fertilizers and seeds and all kinds of garden and nursery supplies that you do not see in regular retail stores. They also sell pots, seed growing supplies and what not. Phone: 410-665-5511

For hit or miss stuff, go check out the "Good Stuff Cheap" store. There's only 2 in Baltimore. The bigger one is on Kenwood Ave. just before it hits Golden Ring Rd. There's a non-descript strip shopping center kind of up on a hill. That's where it is. They took over a vacated Superfresh store, so they are BIG! It is an amazing place for all kinds of bargains. I have bought lawn fertilizers there--mostly by Beyer--for about half the regular price. I am such a bargain hunter! Love stores like this one. I spend entirely too much money with all my bargain shopping. This place is worth it!
The other one is in the Parkville Shopping Center on Harford Rd. at Taylor Ave.

Another suggestion for big pots. If you wait until Fall when all the big box stores have to make room for Christmas trees and fireplaces and such, they will mark down all remaining outdoor plants and shrubs from 50%-75% off. Look around. Never mind the plant! See what kind of a pot it is sitting in. You might be able to get a really nice, big foam pot (if something is in it) for maybe $5.

Happy hunting! Gita (I live in Perry Hall).

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Great tips, Gita. Thanks for posting them!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I agree. I always like an excuse to drive to Baltimore!

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I've been using CHC, too, for a short time-mostly for my orchids. You'll want to soak & rinse it very well, w/ several changes of water. I like it, it's very fast draining, & seems like it will last awhile...

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I have peat moss and composted horse manure, lime and osmocote to make a general purpose potting soil, but no perlite yet.

Besides Agway, who sells perlite in large quantities?

Also, what's the story with vermiculite?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's made from a mineral whose deposits are sometimes associated with asbestos. Supposedly, some of the quarries don't have the asbestos problem. The one in Libby, Montana is closed, and there's a lot of cancer there.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

YIKES. Glad I asked. Thanks for the info., Claypa. I googled vermiculite for more info. Scary.

Perlite it is... Now I just need to find some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.