Need help with tree seed germ. requirements.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

I have seeds for the Eastern Red Cedar (Juniperus virginiana). My propagation book doesn't list it. Can someone with either actual experience or a book that specifically lists this cultivar tell me if it needs to be stratified, scarified, etc.?

Thanks,
Bettabug

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

zone= 4 , gather ripe berries, wash seed 3x daily 7d, scarify, then sow 4m @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germ

That's from this site:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

If you want seedlings later this spring, let me know, it grows everywhere here

This message was edited Feb 22, 2007 3:01 PM

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice site -thanks for the link! I've looked for a site like that many times, but never found one with so many listings, yet very nicely concise and organized.

I'm trying to put up windbreaks and landscaping on a very barren 4 acres of Texas Gulf Coast prairie. Since health problems have kept me from working for the past 5 years, we really don't have much of a budget for it, so starting with seeds, cuttings small starts and freebies is must.

I would love to have free seedlings/seeds, but if you live in PA, I'm afraid that what you gather might not acclimate to our heavy alkaline clay, high heat and humidity. Thanks loads for the offer though!!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The National Seed Lab has some information including % for different techniques on the bottom. pdf file: http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Juniperus.pdf

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks growin! Talk about detailed! OK, now you've reawakened the perfectionist and the biologist in me! I have 500 of the ERC seeds, so guess what I'm going to do.... (my husband hates it - sure slows down production, but I just can't help myself! LOL).

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Enjoy! Try a few more variables to make it even more interesting. You might even want to try the hydrogen peroxide soak as mentioned in this forum previously.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

As a matter of fact, that is one that caught my eye. I use HO for lots of things - infact, I buy vinegar, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, epsom salts, and baking soda in the largest sizes I can get locally. In addition to being an avid gardener, I also raise tropical fish. You don't even want to get me started on the rediculous amounts of chemicals (none necessary and some dangerous) people have been convinced are necessary to raise fish! I started out believing the hype and through experimentation found that I could raise and spawn large healthy fish without any "commercial" chemicals - just H2O, a good filter with carbon and polyester batting, and living plants and rocks. My only "medicines" are salt, hydrogen peroxide, methiolate and garlic. I can really get on my soapbox about "medicating" fish and all the games they play with water additives and conditioners! Just commercial hype to get your $. Just like the gardening game - use these chemicals, and if you do, you'll mow more, have more disease & pests and then you'll have to buy more chemicals (and we - the chemical companies, laugh all the way to the bank). Urgh!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, as Grissem on CSI say, "I smell an experiment". I've always wondered if Salix tea would have any affect on seed. It seems to on cuttings for hardwood and I think softwood.

Alvin, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh man, ditto on that! I've heard that it really does work on most cuttings, but never actually tried it. I don't have a willow I can get too, do you? If I did, I'd go for it myself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.