Alfafa Pellets

Stansbury Park, UT(Zone 6a)

After reading this thread, I went to my local feed store to get some alfalfa pellets. I was way excited to try this for my garden and compost. The man at the desk said that he would NEVER use alfalfa pellets in his garden because that would be the fastest way to have a alfalfa field. He said that there are too many seeds in the pellets. Now I am confused. Can I not use the pellets in my garden? Do I have to first compost them to kill any seeds that may be present in the pellets? It seems that many of you have used them in your garden with success. I am making a lasagna garden bed and need a layer to help heat things up. So far I have newspaper, peat moss, shredded leaves, and finished compost. I thought that adding the pellets would do the trick. I need more green material and grass clippings are not an option right now. Still too cold for some grass to mow. What do you think?

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Lots of folks have used alfalfa pellets directly in their raised beds at our community garden. I don't see any alfalfa fields yet! I wonder if the guy at the desk has ever really used them in his garden?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Alfalfa is harvested before going to seed to get the protein levels to feed the cows, sheep, etc. So there are rarely any alfalfa seeds. Possibly other weed seeds but I doubt it. I too would use them in my garden. though I use alfalfa meal for cat litter and do compost that.

Garden Mermaid~ That is what I was thinking. He didn't seem like the gardening type and he made me feel so stupid that I just left the store without pressing the issue any further. I hate it when I get that way. LOL It is good to know that it works for people. The type of pellets that he had in his store were these big almost small brick pellets. They were about 3" X 2" or so. Does that sound like the ones everyone is using or is it more like the stuff you feed rabbits? I didn't find big bags of the small pellets anywhere.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The "cubes" can be quite different because they are horse food and possibly mixed with other stuff to make the brick. I use the rabbit pellets. Assert yourself more Lissy!

I KNOW I KNOW!!! I need to be more assertive but I just can't sometimes. I get to shy. LOL So where can I get BIG bags of the rabbit pellets? We have a Cal Ranch store out here and I only saw the cubes. What size bag does the pellets come in?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Lissy, Is there another feed store you can try? That guy was just too unhelpful. My small, local feed store has 10# bags of the small pellets and they are cheap. Keep trying till you find the right retailer. Good luck!

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Lissy, the fellow at the feed store desk is the stupid one. He's not worth the energy to get shy over. If you can't find another store, just phone up the store and ask if they carry alfalfa pellets for rabbit feed and get the price. Then go in there and buy pellets for your "garden rabbits". Hey, some plants have furry leaves. He doesn't need to know your rabbits are green.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I am going to the store, about 20 miles, a sort of misc. farm store, this morning to buy 5 large (probably hold more than a bushel) bags of alfalfa pellets. They are less than 1/2" in diameter and just less than 1 " in length. I have used them for years, Usually a couple of cups in a ring around the daylillies. Spread a light layer on ongoing compost piles. I usually use some in planting holes. Never have seen any weed problem. Steve has explained that.

Donna

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am going to be more assertive LOL and find the pellets!! Maybe I will have to do what GardenMermaid says and say that I want to feed the "garden rabbits." I am sure that we must have these pellets out here in Tooele. There are a lot of farms out here. It is good to know that the guy I talked to has no idea....or is that good? OH well! I knew everyone a DG would know the answer. Thanks everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.