Success WSing Silene or Lychnis (Catchfly varieties) ??

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm fortunate enough to have seeds from several different varieties of Lychnis and Silene (Catchfly) and was wondering if anybody had had success wintersowing them?

I've WS'd Lychnis coronaria, aka Silene coronaria, aka Rose Campion very successfully, but these others are listed in PF as "sow indoors before last frost" and "direct sow after last frost," and I haven't found specific information about wintersowing them.

I plan to hold back a few seeds of each for indoor starting as a backup, but I wanted to ask for input before putting most of the seeds out in the cold. :-)

Here's what I have:
Lychnis alpina, Alpine Catchfly
Lychnis alpina v. serpentinicola, European Alpine Catchfly
Lychnis yunnanensis, Yunan Catchfly
Lychnis viscaria, German Catchfly
Silene stenophylla

Thanks!

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I think anything with alpina in the title can be winter sown since it means alpine - growing or living above timberline. So they should be fine

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Somebody grew the L. yunnanensis in zone 6 in the wintersown . org database...sowed Feb., germ. March. Most of Yunnan is high elevation, too.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Good! That concurs with what I've been thinking... seems like any of the rock garden plants native to cold climates should WS well.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted if I have any luck with them...

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

You might add extra drainage holes to the containers and some garden sand to the potting mix of those those alpine containers because 'alpine' also refers to needing an extremely well draining site.

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I sowed "catchfly ruby flax" last year. Sorry, I never knew the botanical name. I think I bought it from valueseeds. It germinated and was pretty.

Karen

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Suzy, that's a good point about the drainage holes... I already sowed them, but I did add some extra perlite (maybe 10%) and some polymer moisture crystals (which soak up excess water), so that should help... I was pretty generous with the drainage, but if it looks like the container is the least bit soggy I will poke in some extra holes.

Karen, thanks... good to know that somebody had success germinating any kind of catchfly this way!

Huntington, WV(Zone 6a)

I wintersowed lychnis viscaria successfully last year. It didn't bloom the first year, but was quite healthy.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohooo -- that's one I've got out there in the snow now! Thanks for the good report!

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I WS's Silene several yrs ago and now it reseeds itself here in zone 7.

Ruth

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for letting me know, Ruth! I hadn't even thought ahead to having these guys self-sow down the road.... now my imagination is running wild! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My two rows of silene have sprouted! They're teeny -- but they're green! -- first thing up in my WS containers. Today I noticed that I had some Linaria up also... :-)

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

wooo hoooo Jill...that is so exciting! I have some up and going too, not sure what they are, the writing came off the containers on some..LOL I wrote them with permanent marker, with the idea that I would put the tape on the bottom, and I put them outside when done and NEVER thought about it again...LOL I just get too side tracked sometimes...but they were seed I got from a trade, so I know what was in the trade, so perhaps I can identify them once they are growing...LOL I have so many weeds growing, at least I THINK they are weeds....isn't it funny how every year we want to believe the weeds are seeds we have sown...lol

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm having pretty good luck with the Industrial Sharpie markers... I also write a number on the side or the bottom of the container, where it won't bleach out in the sun, just in case.

I know my silene sprouts aren't weeds, because they're in such a nice little row! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.