Any online sources for rootone and promix

Lindenhurst, NY

I have not been able to find either of these locally. does anyone know of a mail order place I can order over the internet?
Thanks
Maureen

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It seems strange that you can't find Rootone; it has been a staple in the gardening world forever. It's the sort of thing that you usually find anywhere and everywhere. I haven't been to Lindenhurst in 40 years (I had an aunt that lived there) but you must have large garden centers. Aren't there any "Frank's" on Long Island? There are a number of newer rooting hormones on the market these days that you can choose from if you can't find Rootone.

I have always bought ProMix at a Feed and Seed type place. It seems doubtful there are any farms left in your area; you may have to go out east for a farm supply place. You might try asking if a local hardware store that carries gardening supplies would order some for you. ProMix is heavy and your shipping costs would be prohibitive if you were to buy online.

When I was growing up on LI it was such a gardening mecca; how sad to hear it is difficult to locate basic supplies there now.

Lindenhurst, NY

HI ardesia, Frank's went out of business a few years ago. I loved that store but the competition (home depots, etc) put them out of business. Home depot in Copiague is large, but does not have a great garden dept. I originally got schultz' rooting hormone, but they don't carry any other brand. As a matter of fact, when I was there today they didn't have any brand at all. There is a large nursery in Deer Park called Stables, I'll have to try there. Or also a Lowes opened last year in Bay Shore, I'll try them too. Thanks.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i always got my rootone at hardware stores, like ace and oh, k-mart has it, or used to anyway.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 8:57 PM

Lindenhurst, NY

thanks tracinsand - maybe I just haven't been looking in the right places. I'll check kmart this week on my lunch time. There is one 10 minutes from work.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Maureen,
I, too, have been trying to find Pro Mix in this area. I found it online at
http://homeharvest.com/pottingmixes.htm out of Michigan, but, as pointed out above, the shipping is high. It all depends on what it is worth to you. I was looking at the compressed bales. In any event, I thank the rest of you for your suggestions to check out some of the feed stores in the area. Lowes and HD don't have them either. Jessica

Lindenhurst, NY

gardadore - thank you so much. They have both the rootone and promix - but shipping is super high. I'm going to keep looking locally. Thank you very much.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

If you have a nursery in your area that grows its own plants, they will have both for sale - if you don't see it on display, ask. It is usually cheaper than retail stores.

I just bought a bale of ProMix this morning and noticed a web address on the bag. I searched for a retailer near Lindenhurst and this is what I came up with:

http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Gardening/RetailerLocator/fRetailerLocator.htm

It is probably still a bit early for the spring gardening frenzy to start on LI. I bet you will find all the supplies you need within a month or so.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Ardesia, that was a big help! I found two places within reasonable driving distance. The addresses listed were not totally accurate but at least I have phone numbers so I can call for directions. It's too ear;y to start here as well but I can amass all the information and be ready to go! Gardadore

When I entered my own zip code only one place came up and it was 75 miles away. Actually, I have purchased it in at least 3 other local places. I really think any decent hardware store or garden center will order it for you.

Edited to add that when I looked at the products on that page I noticed there were professional and consumer pages. The mix I use is the ProMix BX. That was listed on the professional pages; I have never even seen the products they listed on the consumer pages. The BX comes in a large (and very heavy) bale; it is compressed and when you loosen it and mix it with water it makes a huge amount of potting mix.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2007 7:54 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

maureen, maybe if you call rootone and/or promix people, they can tell you who carries the product in your area. I think mailordering these products would not be cost effective.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our HD generally gets in one pallet of the big compressed Pro Mix bales each spring, and when they're gone, that's it. Fortunately, my favorite local nursery carries it for only a little more than the HD price. Keep asking around -- and good luck!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

The Home Depot in my area used to carry ProMix, but they have not for the past few years. I contacted the makers of ProMix. They said it was a seasonal thing, but I have not seen it in stock. Luckily there is a small nursery near me that grows a ton of plants from seed and they sell ProMix by the bale. It is VERY heavy!!

I purchased my bottle of Rootone from Lowes. I would think that just about any store with a garden center would sell it or a similar product. Just ask because they are pretty small bottles and they likely only have a few out on the shelves.

- Brent

Lindenhurst, NY

I'm going to keep my eyes open for promix. I did speak to a nursery man who told me they will get it in, just not sure when.

As for rootone, sure I can find similar products -- but none with the fungicide that rootone has.

I'm going to check Lowes soon and see if they have it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.