SO CAL May 19th RU Food Thread

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

The following people have posted to say what they are bringing so far. I will update as people respond.....

This quote came from Don today......

Quoting:
Pam and I have decided that the meats will be the following....

Carne Asada......It will be cut so it actually fits into your tacos....with homemade tortillas from HaroldS.......woohooo

Carnitas......a pork dish done in the style (estilo) of Mexico City....crispy on the outside and tender on the inside

Pollo Asada....a chicken dish that will remind one of the texture of Carne asada

Shrimp empanadas.....these are like little envelopes of corn around a center of grilled shrimp....yummy!

Cbernard and wife****pansitnoodles (wife will make)
George****guacamole
TwinLakesChef****Shrimp Cocktail
SoCal****Spanish Rice
Iroot
Roadrunner****her FAMOUS Sopapilla Cheesecake.....with Pineapple
Rusty56****... Santa Fe Soup. (buffalo meat, refried beans, sour creams, cheeses and if in season avocados.)
Frogsrus
Ezylivin
BloomsWithaView****large package of all utensils and cups
Spin and DH****tabouli, that's a little Mediterranean dish (and enough for Mike to take home!)
Amarantha00
Kachinagirl**** "Karen's Triple Chocolate Brownies" or chips
Weegy12 **** Homemade refried beans, homemade killer salsa!
Zuzu and friend****soft drinks
Quyen
JasperDale****beer for Weegy
Kanita
Hellnzn11 **** Jello Salad
Kaperc ****Mom's Shoo Fly Pie****warming trays for spanish rice
HaroldS and Ann and friend Beverly **** Handmade flour tortillas (sorry Harold!)
rosewynd **** Stack enchiladas
wcgypsy**** Fiesta Salad
Matt, Dovey and dd Laura****Taco garnishes...jalapeno cheesecake? (Sounds good acutally!)
Tleaves****I am brining a REGULAR OLD (well newly made) cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies and maybe brownies - depending on how much time I have.
hellnzn11****cornbread and butter and jello soup (jk Dawn!)

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 6:52 AM

This message was edited Apr 21, 2007 8:01 AM

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 1:25 PM

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 3:26 PM

This message was edited Apr 23, 2007 3:27 PM

This message was edited May 1, 2007 8:21 AM

This message was edited May 11, 2007 6:17 AM

This message was edited May 15, 2007 8:06 PM

This message was edited May 15, 2007 8:07 PM

This message was edited May 18, 2007 12:03 PM

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Weeg, just realized the name could mean anything....Fiesta Salad is a green salad with corn, pepitas, queso anejo, avos, etc. with lime cilantro vinaigrette.
Sherry

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks Sherry! We'll just leave it as Fiesta Salad. It adds a little surprise to the whole event. Sounds really good.

Don't feel like you HAVE to stick to the Mexican food theme. Bring whatever you can and you out of towners, if you want to stop and pick up chicken or potato salad, for example, that's just fine. There's no wrong and right here!

Remember that Don will be furnishing water and if you want something besides water, bring your own. And we do have beer drinkers...me being one of them!

We'll also need plastic silverware, paper plates, cups, etc. Anyone can volunteer to bring those too! How about salsa, I make a killer one...ok, doing salsa!

It's going to be a great day, I just know it!

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 3:39 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Maybe I can get some supplies for plates, silverwares, cups... I can bring with camping stove with iron cast dutch oven that I can cook some good old recipe is "Mexican refried beans soup with sour cream and some cheeses also in season if avocados in good.

Anna

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Sounds good Anna! Anything is appreciated.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Also I need to know before I buy supplies that how manys peoples will come. I check it out myself then I come to Calif and get supplies for cheapers. I better get busy for road trip sooner. Take care all, Anna...

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I don't know who's keeping count but if I'm needed for that, let me know.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

No problem...

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Weegy, you are doing great; keeping it up in the first post helps the rest of know and will make headcount easy.

Thanks

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Trying to quote Don's update for the RU:

Quoting:
Carne Asada, Carnitas, and probably Chicken mole. The ranch is fine, yet we are still recovering from the devastation of two weeks of weather in the teens. The gardens are well on the way to making a full recovery but it is going rather slowly. It looks to be a banner year in the rose garden however. Pam's doc cleared her for riding on a very limited basis....great news for her! We are currently in the middle of breeding season and Pam is probably going to breed five or six mares this year, so at next year's RU we'll have a bunch of new babies running around...lol.

Will update the food list as more people respond. The following is what I have as of today:

SoCal
Iroot
Wcgypsy
Roadrunner
Rusty56
Frogsrus
Ezylivin
BloomsWithaView
Spin and DH
TwinLakesChef
Amarantha00
Kachinagirl**** "Karen's Triple Chocolate Brownies" or chips
Weegy12 **** Homemade refried beans, homemade killer salsa!
Zuzu and friend
Quyen
JasperDale
Kanita
Hellnzn11 **** Jello Salad
Kaperc
HaroldS and Ann **** Handmade flour tortillas (sorry Harold!)
rosewynd **** Stack enchiladas
wcgypsy**** Fiesta Salad

Woo hoo! I did it!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2007 8:55 AM

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

So far the food list sounds yummy, I'll have to think on it and ask Matt what he would like to bring and let you know.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

WOW, is that really you Dovey?!?!?!?! Where have you been?!! Glad we'll be seeing you there.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Louise,

I've been thinking what to bring and made a decision just now. I will bring spanish rice.

Can someone give me a hint on how to keep this warm till lunch? lol

Donna

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Donna, I think we have a couple of warming trays - foil tray on a frame, heating candle goes underneath - used for buffets. Want me to bring them?

Kathleen

Okay, Louise, I've decided. I know another dessert won't hurt with this group, so I'm bringing my mom's Shoo Fly Pie!

Kathleen

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

This message was edited Feb 23, 2007 1:31 PM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Check it out yourself to see on left side it said "EDIT" that you can do it post not to waste post threads.

Anna

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yeah, I know, I didn't want all those edit thingys all over the bottom.

weegy, you can delete them when you edit, so you'll only ever have the latest one there.

Kathleen

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Ahhhhhhh, ok then, that's what I'll do the next time I update. Duh, Louise!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Ok, I deleted the previous list and put it at the top. Now there's no waste of space.

See how clever you are? :-)
It took me a while to figure it out, but I saw someone else do it, so I knew it could be done!

Kathleen

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Not clever without you Kathleen! Thanks!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Please let me know what you all are bringing so I can update this thread. The initial post is edited to update the food list.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I am bringing the jello salad but can make or bring good salsa. If I do go up a day early, maybe I may change the jello thing because i am not sure how it would hold up in an icechest. I`ll let you know.. I can`t wait to have a face with a name, I have visions of men being woman and reverse. I need a face with a name. Dr. Don sure is a doll for all of this, especially 3 years running.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Dawn, I am down for salsa but you can bring the jello, I don't know how it will hold up either.
See the first post above for the updated food list.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm drawing a blank here *grumble grumble*
I need a suggestion...

Dovey,

How about additions for the tacos? Sliced cabbage, grated cheese, chopped tomatoes, peppers...
Easy to do ahead, cover with plastic wrap, bring a big bowl to fill with ice to set the plate in.

Kathleen

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Works for me... put me down for taco fixin's
Lord only knows what M will come up with... Jalapeņo Cheese cake anyone?

Gosh, you're easy, dovey! Don't anybody else ask for ideas, cuz that was my only bullet. lol

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

What ! no lutefisk ?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Make sure to check the first post from time to time. That's where I've been adding what everyone is bringing. Thanks everyone.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

what's lutefisk?

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

I can't promise the cheese cake... but I'll mention it to M, it just sounded like something he would come up with

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Lutefisk?.......yum......cough, gag, cough...lol.

I think Carlos will bring that as he's got quite a Scandinavian heritage.....lol. Carlos Andersensesnsen

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

LOL!!!!

Anna

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

weegy, you have wcgypsy listed twice. Once (third name down) and at the end of the list. :-)

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Woops, will fix that right now!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Done!

Orange, CA(Zone 10b)

Maybe a hot dish instead of lutefisk. LOL.

Well, I think I'll be able to attend, still. As to what to bring...I just don't know. We don't have a soup yet. We also don't have fruits. Or, how about a crock pot full of cheese for the tortilla chips? I'm open to suggestions and requests.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.