Garden Events & Training Courses of Interest in NE Florida

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

As a result of completing the Master Gardener training last year, I am now on the E-mail and postal mail lists to receive updates on gardening events and training classes that are open to the public in NE Florida. I will share the information here for those that might want to attend some of these, and will update this thread with new information as it comes along. You may want to "watch" this thread, even if you are not in the immediate area of Jacksonville. Some of the training classes and garden events may be worth traveling some distance in order to attend.

Feel free to add any garden events of interest that I might not know about.

Jeremy --- (** below, shows events/courses I plan to attend)

Feb. 23, 10 AM - 1 PM, Make Your Own Rain Barrel, Duval County Extension Office - $30 covers cost of 55 gal barrel and other supplies

**Feb. 24: The Great Greenscape Tree Giveawaywill be a one day event on Saturday, February 24th starting at 7:00a.m. The location will be Lot J at the Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Examples of species that will be available in 3 gallon pots are: Red Maple, River Birch, Red Bud, Dogwood, Crape Myrtles, Little Gem Magnolia, Sweetbay Magnolia, Japanese Magnolia, Nuttal Oak, Live Oak, Bald Cypress and Drake Elm. Duval County Master Gardeners will be offering planting instructions and growing suggestions for the trees (I will be there as a volunteer MG for the morning shift beginning at 7 AM -- so that I can have first choice of the available trees!! LOL)

Feb. 27, 10 AM - Noon, Spring Start on Vegetable Gardens, Duval County Extension Office - $3 pay at the door

**March 10, 9 AM - 3 PM, Clay County Spring Garden Workshop, 2463 State Rd 16 W, Green Cove Springs, Florida, $10 required pre-paid registration covers lunch (mail checks to Robert DeMay, 2649 Whipple Ave, Orange Park, FL 32073, payable to Garden Club of Middleburg). For additional info: Lee Henry (904) 269-5707 **Master Gardener & DG subscriber, juja, and others will be there also)
Topics:
Bad Boys in the Landscape
All About Grass
Wonderful World of Daylilies
Fun Things to Make for your Garden

March 10, 10 - 11 AM, Butterflies Master Gardener Carol Wynemeyer presentation at Tree Hill Nature Center, 7152 Lone Star Rd, Jacksonville

**March 13, 11 AM - 2 PM Garden Week at the CummerCummer Museum of Art & Gardens, 829 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville ( I will be one of the Master Gardener volunteers providing tours of the gardens), topic during above time slot will be "Garden Creations and Box Lunch included" - expert floral designers will be interpreting a work of art from the Cummer Collection - $20 advance registration required - contact Melanie Johnson at (904) 899-6038 to reserve a spot. Otherwise, Garden Week dates are March 11 - 14, regular museum hours and admission price for members and non-members will apply (but the admission is free after 4 PM on Tuesdays), contact the Cummer Museum at (904) 356-6857 for additional info.

March 13, 10 AM - 1 PM, Irrigation Workshop, will provide info on how to install your own micro-drip and other type irrigation systems, Duval County Extension Office, $6

March 17: Honeybee Short Course Clay County Extension Office, Cost is $25.00 per person. Deadline to register is March 13, 2007. The cost covers lunch, snacks and expenses involved with out of state speaker. For more information call Ray Zerba at 284-6355.

March 17 - 18: The Jacksonville Orchid Society Show will be held on March 17 and 18, 2007 at the Garden Club of Jacksonville. The show hours are from 10 AM until 5 PM each day. There is no admission. They will have exhibitors and vendors from all around the southeast. The society will have a potting area where individuals may get their plants potted or repotted for a nominal fee. We will also have someone available who can answer questions. We have invited some local artists to share their orchid related art with us. If you need further information you may email Harriett at wrig0567@comcast.net. (** I plan to attend, but not sure what day or time. I asked to have one of my orchid paintings included in the show, but so far no response :(

March 27 - 5:30 - 7:30 PM, Laying Ground for a Spring Garden, Mandarin Branch Library, 3330 Kori Rd, Jacksonville, call (904) 387-8850 to pre-register

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks , Jeremy!

A lot of interesting things going on, and hopefully we'll be able to attend some of these.

Gracie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.