Your opinion on these varieties, please?

Bonifay, FL

This is what I'm growing this year. I'd like to know if they should do well in the hot & humid south. If you have any personal experiences with these varieties that you are willing to share, I'd really appreciate it!

Aunt Ruby's German Green
Black Cherry
Black From Tula
Box Car Willie
Red Brandywine
Burgundy Traveller
Daniels
Dr. Carolyn Pink
Druzba
Earl's Faux
Galina
Gregori's Altai
Kelloggs Breakfast
Kimberly
Kosovo
Lucky Cross
Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine
Mortgage Lifter (Estlers)
Neves Azorean Red
Sungold
Yoder's German Yellow

I'm posting this in other forums, hoping to learn as much as possible. Thanks!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'm posting this in other forums, hoping to learn as much as possible. Thanks

Yes, I've seen it, but I didn't answer b/c altho I've grown all but four on your list I can't tell you how well they will do in your heat and humidity in FL.

A general rule is to plant your indeterminate late mid and late season ones for a Spring Crop and then your short and mid season ones for a Fall Crop. it's very difficult to get anything to set fruit and survive in South FL. That's what Linda at Tomato Growers does, and she's in Fort Myers, and it works well for her and I know for quite a few others to have two separate sowings and two separate crops.

Another general observation I've seen from feedback is that the larger the fruit size the less well they do.

That being said there are several here who do grow tomatoes in FL and do have good luck with even the larger fruited ones, so I'll just let those folks speak to this issue.

In the long run there's really no way to know until you try.

But a gentle suggestion?

I feel very awkward when someone has already sowed seeds for varieties and THEN asks if they taste great or will grow here or there. LOL Maybe it's me, but I'm perhaps less likely to even answer such questions when i know the seeds have already been sown or for that matter already obtained. ( smile)

Carolyn

Bonifay, FL

Thank you, Carolyn, for your response. I feel honored. I have been an avid reader of your posts for a long time. Your knowledge of tomato varieties, histories, and cultivation is amazing. And your role in preserving 100's, if not 1,000's of tomato varieties from extinction is awe-inspiring. You are my tomato idol!

I feel very awkward when someone has already sowed seeds for varieties and THEN asks if they taste great or will grow here or there. LOL Maybe it's me, but I'm perhaps less likely to even answer such questions when i know the seeds have already been sown or for that matter already obtained. ( smile)

Carolyn

I was very hesitant to post this thread. (In fact, this was my very 1st post at Dave's.) But I had a minor disaster here this weekend, & I lost almost all of my tomato seedlings. It is too late to re-plant, & I made a hasty decision to order plants. I did not have the time to thoroughly research the varieties that were available (VERY slow dial-up here). So, after I placed the order, I decided to post my question, hoping that I had done all right with my hastily placed order. (smile)

Franklin, OH

An x infront means I've grown it and they taste or tasted great for me and that I'd not hesitate to grow again. Overall you chose great because most of the others are supposed to taste great too.

xAunt Ruby's German Green
xBlack Cherry
xBlack From Tula
Box Car Willie
Red Brandywine
Burgundy Traveller
Daniels
Dr. Carolyn Pink
Druzba
xxxEarl's Faux
xGalina
xGregori's Altai
Kelloggs Breakfast
xKimberly
xKosovo
xLucky Cross
Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine
Mortgage Lifter (Estlers)
xNeves Azorean Red
Sungold
Yoder's German Yellow

Bonifay, FL

Thanks, Earl! I feel honored once again. I'm really looking forward to growing Earl's Faux. It was not easy to find.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Bonheur, Happy Bierhday !

I know this is an ollllllddddd thread, but how were
your results on these maters ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.