Egg Identification

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Reading the devleopment there, and looking at my expired eggs, yup. The main development is occurring around the yolk area. It's surrounding it, so to say. The limbs are developing already.....well, I can say that for sure AFTER I remove some of the rotted shell and see what was going on. The shells are still super soft.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Goodnight, EQ!

It just occurred to me what you were saying. You wouldn't like to see anyone crack slice an egg in half to see its development. I agree.

I was thinking more along the lines of someone....like Ginger, who raises reptiles, probably has a lot of eggs and probably sees a few expire during their development. Once they do expire, from whatever natural cause, open it up and see where it was in it's developmental stage, take a picture of it and record it. Show it to the rest of us so we know what they're supposed to look like at the various stages of development. That's what I meant. I said it the wrong way. Sorry. Does that make sense at all? I'm not for injuring a good egg of any sort.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Unless they're the eggs from 'Alien'. I'll pull a Sigourney Weaver and kill 'em.

On that, good night and sleep tight. I'm 3 hours past my bedtime tonight.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I am so sorry about the eggs. However, I am thrilled that there are some still developing. You are doing such a great job. I will continue to watch for updates.

Kim

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

http://individual.utoronto.ca/kjackson/pics.html

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

http://www.funpic.hu/files/pics/00001/00001679.jpg

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

So sorry that the eggs are continuing to split. I hope at least one makes it.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Nada. That picture rules out a snake for sure.

I just checked the bed and while there are a few that have opened, there are many more that look good. There is no longer any hope for my box babies.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I tried, really tried, to open the rest of the shell of one that had popped but the stench was so foul that I came close to getting sick. I can't do it.

Thanks for the cheerups, Duckmother and BP.

Awwww, I'm so sorry for your box babies. Hang onto those lil pink sweaters because you'll get to use them again.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been following along, lurking really, and I too am sorry about your box babies. I couldn't wait to find out what was in the eggs.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Me too. I was hoping they would make it. You tried!!!

I was secretly hoping Pep was right .
Jurassic Park would have lived on DG .

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yeah, me too! A small dinosaur wouldn't be any trouble. Remember, there's eggs left outside. We still have hope!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'd say an iguana is a small dinosaur...sorta.

Well, there's still a lot of hope because there are LOTS of eggs still in the bed. We'll just cross our fingers and hope for a little miracle.

I'll keep on crocheting. Believe...believe...believe.

Thanks for all of your well wishes.

Still wish I had the guts to open up and look at the guts of the ones that have expired. If I had a noseplug I could do it.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

If it stinks that bad it's probably not in any shape to look at either.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Actually, it really doesn't look that gross. The embryos are kind of dry. It's what's deeper inside the eggs that stinks. Ooohh...just got the willies.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Terry - just saw you there. How ya doin? Keep your fingers crossed for me, pretty please.

It takes a small village.......

knolan
You be very carefull please.
You may have some of these .
http://www.funpic.hu/files/pics/00031/00031751.jpg

ginger ...... you are funny! NOT! *giggle

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Ginger, that sort of looks like what's coming out of the eggs. Yikes!

renatelynne
Show us some of your statues .

knolan , I know .
That`s why I posted the link .

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I talked to someone tonight, only briefly, and she suggested that the eggs could be from a killdeer bird. They lay their eggs in the ground. Came home, looked it up and it doesn't seem likely to me. This bird usually lays on it's eggs, like normal birds, and they usually lay the eggs in gravel. I've seen no ground birds around here and certainly no birds in the flower bed.

I'm really thinkin' alien here. LOL.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Nah - Kildeers lay them on top of the ground - like you said - usually on gravel and the like. They are so well camouflaged that you can't see them if you are looking straight at them. And there is always an adult nearby doing a broken wing act to lure you away from them. And they definitely look like bird eggs!!

I have some pics of a killdeer on some gravel in front of a nursing home my great aunt was staying at. I need to scan those in.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

You need to trade the aquarium in for a video-cam so we can all watch the little things hatch.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's a good one for ya'll. Watch the lizard in the bottom left corner.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ccIc-On5MLI&mode=related&search=

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ROTFL! He probably thought he had the wrong end of the snake for a minute there!

That was funny! His facial expressions were priceless!

I loved those funny little noises he made. Urk, gkk... ROTFLOL

renatelynne
Still waiting for you to come visit other thread ?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, we have a new possibility as to what my eggs are:

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/weeklypics/10-10-05.html

They don't look like this to me but.....maybe.

wow... I've seen the fungus that looks like dog poop at my place but never seen this one before. Have you posted in the fungus forum?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Not yet, I will.

I'm still convinced these are the eggs of some creature. Time will tell.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! I am so glad you found that information. I was wondering what that nasty stuff was that grew in my flower bed, last year. When I first saw the broken egg, I wondered if it may be the same thing but I did not know what it was called. I really hope that is not what you have. I want there to be a creature/critter!

Kim

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Kim. Me too. I'm certain this isn't a fungus. I'm keeping my eyes out and a lot of the little eggs are still popping open but there are still more that look ok. I'll post more pics. as I get good ones.

Veddy interesting......Maybe so. Hmmm......It would make sense.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

The things popping out look way too much like an embryo, with limbs. The eggs aren't 'finger shaped' and don't look anything like the pictures of the fungus shown on that website. Also, key point here, when we first discovered them, we thought they might be a fungus so DH opened one with a machete. It REALLY, REALLY looked like an egg. Gelatinous on the outside, yolk present, very much an egg (I think).

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I'm pretty sure now that these are indeed, a fungus. I just went out to dig up a new batch of healthy 'eggs' and lo and behold, there are little roots growing on the bottoms. I sure didn't see those before.

I'm a little bummed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.