Seedling mat...should it be on 24/7?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I am starting some tropicals from seed. One type takes 1-3 months to germinate. Does the seedling mat have to be on all day, everyday? Or should it be a certain number of hours? Thanks, Tamara

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I leave the heat mat on all the time, I think if you turn it off at night then the soil will cool off and then it'll take a while to warm up again the next day so you'll lose a lot of the benefit of the heating mat.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I'd leave the heat mat on all the time also, this cold night temps are not good for tropical seeds. If you were starting the seeds in warmer weather it would not be an issue.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have cheap plastic shelving. Should I put a towel down first and then the seedling mat? Or is it not warm enough to worry about melting the plastic? Another question...since metal is a good conductor of heat, can I put the pots on a baking sheet and then put the baking sheet on the seedling mat? Should I put the containers in large baggies (quart or gallon size)? TIA, Tamara

Tamara, I have my plastic flats directly on the heat mat, and then my cell packs are in the flats. The heat is not that hight to melt the plastic. Baggies will work well. put them on upside down over the pots and secure with a rubber band, you don't want the baggie touching the young seedlings.

Hope this helps.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks!!! To be honest, I don't have much hope for them (corkscrew vine, Stephanotis floribunda, and 'Tenella Rose' begonia). If I even get one of each plant, I would be really happy!!! Tamara

That a girl! You never know unless you try. It's fun to try at least one plant that will test your skills.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.