Your frugal favorite or local garden statuary store??

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone in the Atlanta and surrounding area have a favorite and frugal garden statuary store?? I've done a search and come up with some very high end stores in town.. I'm looking for the borderline cheesy but frugal concrete statuary yard. It may be off the beaten path and that's fine :)

I have been watching the following thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/682554/ and am very impressed. Yesterday when in TJ Maxx and more, I saw regular concrete yard art statues of Angels and St. Francis embellished with mosaic tiles on the smooth surfaces.. like the wings and the robe.... My brain fired off the idea that if I found the cheapo yard art statuary store and used this technique on flat surfaces, it could look incredible when completed.
Any ideas??
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sorry, I don't know of any in the Atlanta area. I know of two but they aren't even close. One is on Hwy441 near Athens. I've stopped there on my way to see my mom. The other is in my mom's home town of Gatlinburg, Tenn. The one in Gatlinburg is very inexpensive, cheap to put it bluntly.. They make their own concrete art on site. So does the factory near Athens. No middle man.
I'll keep my watch on this post. I'm interested as well. Hopefully someone can point us to a store that's not so far away.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay... lets go ahead and tell me.. Athens isn't on the other side of the world! :)

YES please anyone?? Share the wealth of info!! :) Cheap statuary stores please.

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm d-mailing a DGer from Athens. Maybe she'll know the name of the place. If I'm not mistaken, it's on the northside of Athens. I'll get back in touch with more info later.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Try this: maybe Athens Recycling Corp
(706) 548-9025
Athens, GA 30607
Get on the loop #10 go to Commerce exit
Old Hwy 441 pass J& J flea market, about a mile north at next stop light turn
left , they are on the left.

You may want to call and get an idea of their prices. They are open today because I called them for directions.
Deborah♥

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 9:37 AM

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Susan, Maybe a small co-op for statuary would make the prices even better. Hmmm, just thinking out loud. Maybe we do pick-up and deliver at round-up. Hmmm still thinking.
Chris

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Deborah.. I'm a little under the weather today or else I might call and check it out..

Chris.. Where would the place be the we would buy from!! :)

Susan

Susan, I could probably get back to NY easier than finding my way around Georgia. Hopefully, someone within about 100 miles from atlanta will know of the perfect place. Anyone???
chris

http://www.businessnation.com/Businesses_for_Sale/business_details.cgi?ID=1838
This is Kingston Statuary Ornamental
I dont know what they have, or where Kingston is but the business is for sale, maybe have good deals.

Here is a link to their site
http://www.statuaryatkingston.com/

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Directions - Kingston is 11 miles northwest of Cartersville, Ga. on Georgia Highway 293. Bartow County

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Dont know about frugal but The Pottery in Commerce at the factory outlet shops is THE biggest and best in Ga! Its just off I-85 at exit 149 @ hwy 441 (AKA Bank's Crossing).The Craven family has been doing pottery right for many generations.

Edited to add link: http://www.cravenpottery.com/

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 11:53 AM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The Pottery is a pretty nice place to visit if you haven't been there. Almost every pot you can think of plus dishes, glasses, etc. The plants aren't bad either. The 4 goddesses (4 seasons) at more than life size are not frugal though - the last time I saw them they were $10,000 for all 4. Some statues and pots would require a forklift and a semi to deliver.

There is/was a statuary above Ellijay if you go up that way and it should be very frugal.

Garden Ridge and Old Time Pottery have some decent pottery as well and a lot closer in the Atlanta area.

Rustique (metal works) is up the Canton Highway from Marietta.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris.. i knew they were for sale from the search i did.. but didn't see their web site before you posted it. They have LOTS for sale and might be worth the drive. i will be calling when the weather warms some. I jsut can't be comfortable shopping in 34 degrees and wind chill to boot!

I have been to the pottery in commerce and it is huge. I really didn't take the time to look over the concrete statues when I went as I really wasn't in the market at the time, so I don't even remember prices. I did pick up a concrete stepping stone with a rooster mosiac on it and can't remember how much it was.. but it had to be good or else I wouldn't have got it! I did find some things in the green house I wasn't familiar with and picked them up.. Especially things that had the Athens select tag.. as I'm a fan of Dr. Armitage and he picks the best ones for that label.

My inlaws live up toward Ellijay and are building a home on nearby Carters lake, so if you could tell me about the statuary in Ellijay, that'd be great!

Garden Ridge is frugal, but it is certainly hit or miss.. Same with Old time Pottery... But neither one carries the quantity of concrete yard art that a dealer carries... but I never know what they are going to have. I once stopped by Garden Ridge and they had a truckload sale of brand new frames that had been at Target and they were super cheap.. Like the target tags said $12 and they were selling for $1.00. I purchased enough to make an entire matching collage of pictures in two rooms. Very nice when you can get a "hit" at those stores.

I'm very familar with Canton Highway.. What is Rustique? I googled and no hit for them?

Thanks everybody!!!
:)

Susan

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The statuary place beyond Ellijay is a few miles north of Ellijay on the right. It wasn't laid out very nice when we did stop but they had a lot of concrete pots and statues. It seems like a lot of smaller towns have some concrete statuary place - I've seen several in NC, TN, and KY.

I'm not big into concrete because it is so heavy but I do have two concrete urns and two concrete troughs from HD. The good thing about concrete is it isn't going to blow over and I doubt if anyone would want to steal it. I also have a concrete angel from my grandmother's old place and it is showing its age. We also have a concrete birdbath and a Japanese style candle holder.

Check Hobby Lobby too. I've gotten several different types of pots from them - Vietnamese, concrete, metal, glazed, etc. They always seem to have something on sale 50% or more. Check their clearance aisle as well.

Rustique is basically metal gates, yard art, trellises, etc. It may be on the high side but it looks like a neat place to stop and visit. Here is the web site for it. (looks like they are into indoor products as well).

http://www.rustiqueonline.com/rustique/index.jsp

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Isn't it interesting that small country towns so seem to have these places? I guess thats just where they make it. I thought I'd seen one in Austell going towards County Services Parkway one time in the past... it's a little out of the way for me, but I would go there to see if it's still there. Does anyone know about this yard?

Yes, I haven't been into concrete before I thought of applying the glass craft ideas shown in the first post thead link. Now.. I see how it can be used as it is so strong and will hold the weight of the glass and grout.
And in order to do that the pieces can't be that intricate, thus the need for cheaper less detailed produts.

I got some great garden stuff at Hobby Lobby end of season clearance. It was so good that I actually went to other stores in search of more same and found that my first strike was by far, the best.

Rustic has a great web site, but some of their prices look painful.. I'd stop by if i was on Canton without the kids ... maybe on my way to Old Time Pottery :)

Susan

All my concrete comes from Athens Recycling corp. They have a catalog (a website somewhere, I think) but they also have strange one-offs and other things.
I got the HUGE pots near my front stairs for $25 each. I mean they are crazy sized...other pots were about $8. A cement tabletop which I did mosaic on was $6. Birdbaths and pedestals are about $10.

I have my stash of mosaic items ready. I have seen some women make incredible planter bases from stacking chimney flues or cement blocks and mosaicing on them. They are awesome looking.

Right now I have two large found terracotta pots ready to go, some more rectangular stepping stones which are $1.14 (or where) at Lowes and various table tops. Just waiting for my wheeled cutters to arrive in the post!!

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow that sounds excellent! I did a search and didn't find a web site but found this... ATHENS RECYCLING CORP 706-548-9025 9740 Commerce Rd Athens, GA 30607 .. From another forum you posted on G :) .... another number for them is 706-549-9139 the first number is a cell that is out of service and the second number answered as Athens Stone casting. Hours M-F from 8-5. I will call during business and see if they have a site and learn more about them. and this flea market is nearby right G? http://www.jandjfleamarket.com/

I've wanted to go to the UGA display garden forever and haven't.. this might be too much to do in one day though, but I could try! :)

G, I'm trying to imagine the types of planter bases you are descibing from chimney flues and cement blocks and I just can't picture it.. do you have any links to share with similar projects? I have projects waiting for me... but when I saw the glass mosiac one, I just knew it was for me.

While searching I just found a site that shows you how to make 3-D stars from vertical blind plastic slats.. A little off topic, but crafty nonetheless.. http://highhopes.com/3dstar.html

Susan

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

The Athens Recycling Corp. is the place to go for inexpensive statuary. For me it's on the way to Commerce (north of Athens), but the last time (this past summer) we went to Commerce the highway (441) use to go right past it, but the highway has been rebuilt and redirected and it doesn't go right past the recycle place anymore and we haven't figured out where to get off 441 to get to it. Best to call for directions.

JoAnn

This message was edited Feb 22, 2007 6:07 PM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks! :)

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The lady gave me directions when I called The Athens Recycling Corp.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3198250

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes Deborah!! Thanks for that post up there!! :)

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey, I'm glad I found this thread! My hubby was working north of here last week and brought home a box from this place. I didn't see the flyer until the next day.
www.jamsjellies.com click on the 'About us' link. It's called Jaemor Farm Market.
He said he didn't have time to look around at the pottery, etc., but we are heading back up there because I want a pie safe and they make them there. Plus they have plants and seed. Woohoo!
For anyone else interested:
Jaemor Farm Market
5340 Cornelia Highway (HWY 365)
Alto, Ga 30510
(770) 869-3999 or (770) 869-0999.
There is a map on the back if anyone needs a copy, I'll fax it to you.

Susan

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

okay, y'all are making me jealous......

does anyone know of a great frugal statuary/pottery/garden ornament/ whatever place in SOUTH Georgia???? It seems like I keep hearing of great places but they are all way North of here....I live in Thomasville on the FL/GA border. I'm driving up to Macon this weekend and would love to sneak by a couple of places on the way back....

Erin

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ohhh Susan.. that's a great place! We have family property up there and we go fishing when the weather is nice.. I know it's nearby there. Thanks :)

Good Luck Erin.. Anybody have suggestions??

Susan

Waleska, GA

There's a liitle place with lots of what you might be looking for in White, GA along Rt.411. We go by it often and have stopped there several times on the way to Cartersville Medical Center. They have almost anything you could possibly want. Don't know what the name of it is....it's not a big commercial place and that's probably why they sell them so cheap.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Bloomin..that little nursery that was on the left side of the road going up to lake Arrowhead in your neck of the woods.. When they went out of business, I told my father in law that I was very interested in buying one of the greenhouses they had on the property. He was nice enough to go see for me and those particular ones had already been sold, but he was told they had some bigger ones back at the house so he went there and he told me they were so huge they would've taken up the whole yard and I was like ya?? and?? :)!! Didn't get it, but oh well.. just thought of it with you being up there and all. :) you didn't own that place did ja?

How far away is it from Cartersville Medical Center?? I drove up to Carters lake about 3 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure that's what I passed.. medical Center is on the left hand side going north right?? I don't recal seeing a statuary store on the main road?? I saw a huge tractor place on the right going up and noticed all the John Deeres and such.. I remember seeing this big county.. maybe a western type mall place off to the left and my husband said it was a big deal up there. is it in there? It had a guys name in the name??

Thanks so much. I'll be going up that way again and I'd love to know if you could share :)

gee.. it would appear that I'm going to be doing the north GA statuary tour here. :)

Susan

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 8:15 PM

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

DH and I drove up to Tanger Outlet Mall in Commerce today to get him some new dress slacks for work. Drove past the location on 441 where the stop light is to the Athens Recylcing Corp. They now have up a big sign so you can't miss the turn. Several years ago I bought a large 3-tier water fountain, two lions for the entrance to our driveway, and two urns for either side of the steps to the front porch. We paid around $500. for all of them. I'll attach pictures if I can find them.
JoAnn

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

The two urns

Thumbnail by frausnow
Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

The lions. Well, at least the one on the side with the mailbox.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Nice!! That ones on my tour list for sure! :)

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.