Amaryllis from seed?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi!

I have a Red Lion Amaryllis which for fun I tried to pollinate. The blossoms are just about finished, and the seed pods (I presume) are swelling. The plant file suggests that this plant is either sterile or does not come true from seed. What does "not true from seed" mean?

Finally, how will I know when to collect the seed, when to plant the seeds, under what conditions? Or is this a lost cause?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Hybrids usually have a much wider variation of genes (larger, showier, healthier (disease-resistance)) than species (think monoculture). The seed from hybrids is somewhat unpredictable. More than likely the offspring will be a lot like the parent(s). To create new hybrids, you should cross two different parents with traits you like. You might get some dogs, some beauties, but more than likely nothing too different from the parents. Check out Mendel's law on sweet peas and genetics. Some plants are sterile (again some law of genetics like mules). I have read that odd numbered (triploid) chromosome plants cannot reproduce.

As for gathering seed, look for the seed pod turning brown and splitting. Gather seed at this stage and sow as soon as possible since fresh seed seems to have more viability. Germination is fairly easy and quick but caring for them until bloom time will take a lot of patience (there will be lots of seed from a good size pod). Each seedling will eventually require its own pot so that is another consideration on caring for these to blooming size.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I expect that time from seed to actual bloom may be several years, correct? But, if I can get two or three to grow that large I will be more than pleased. :-)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, it will be several years. I can get them to germinate easily but my patience for caring for them afterwards is short so they usually dry out or get drowned. I still have a few left from a couple of years ago but the bulbs aren't much larger than a dime. Maybe if I babied them like Dutch growers do, then they might be double the size or even larger.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, maybe I will just be satisfied if I can get the seeds to germinate :-)

Jasper, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm trying the same thing. So far (about 5 weeks) none of my seeds have germinated. I have some "hardy" Amaryllis (much smaller than the hybrids) I plan to try in the future. I've had these for several years and bulbs have mutiplied very well allowing me to share with family and friends. I'm just looking for a way to increase production.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Papasgardening... You can take one of your bulbs and cut it up into sections, making sure you have a piece of the plate with each section. Put it small container with nothing but moisten vermiculite and cover with saran wrap and rubber band and put in warm spot but not ot hot and each of the pices will make ya a new plant.

Depending on siz e of bulb you start with sometimes you can get about 10 to 18 new pieces from one bulb. Take s about 3 months for them to develop the roots and new shoot, still faste r than seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.