Humidity Dome for gro-light stands

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Charley'sgreenhouses has these humidity domes in clear plastic with zippers to water plants. They work beautifully even though I got the stands from Sam's Club and fixtures and lights from Lowe's. There is nothing on these stands right now but plants that were outside on the front porch until the cold front came in yesterday and tonight's low of 33 keeps most little plants inside the house.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Is this what you are referring to: http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=1103&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99 ? It appears designed for 33" shelves, but the shelving I am planning to buy is 48" so it wouldn't work.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Actually they make a longer one which is mine...about 68" long...my stand is 74....so I just have a couple of inches short on the bottom which is fine with me.............it is amazing how well this works.....not like a regular humidity dome, but the plants are sure happy with no heat blowing on them and the humidity of course is higher than in my house....the best part of all is that they have zippers on the front side on either side making it easy to water and then zip down again....
email them and ask them....that is what I did....

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think happy_macomb meant the width of the shelf and not the height of the stand. What size are your light fixtures?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

My lights are 48" long.....I have 5 shelves for each stand, but only use 4.....I made the bottom two shelves only 131/2 inches apart for growing seeds on both stands....Then I made one about about 23 and 21" apart.....for cuttings, etc.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

bettygail: Where on the Charley's Greenhouse site did you find the 48" wide "domes?" They look really useful, and I'd love to buy one, but I can't find the big ones.

Also, I'm a little concerned about how the lights will fare in the condensation -- does anyone have opinions about that?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Did you click the humdity dome optional choice....it shows a big picture and that it fits the big ones....trust me that it is plenty big for my 75" tall, 48" across and 18" depth stand....why are you worried about the lights???? when the humidity builds up, I unzip both sides....you can get plenty of humidity with both sides unzipped....let me go back to the site again and copy and paste for you...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=5354&s=5354&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99
this is the correct address for everything you want to see and know about....

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

it didn't copy and paste the actual address....sorry......I know that the lights are not a problem with humidity because I am working with someone from Charley's on a greenhouse and we are using gro-lights in the greenhouse even using a misting system at the same time...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is the link: http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=5354&s=5354&cid1=-99&cid2=-99&cid3=-99. Alternately, you can put in "5354" in the search feature at www.charleysgreenhouse.com. It won't come up if you just look for "cover" or "humidity." (Thanks, bettygail, for the tips!)

I am worried that if there is a lot of humidity, it might (a) condense on the lights, causing them to short out, or (b) cause the fixtures to rust and therefore stop working, or (c) do something to shorten the life of the bulbs. But maybe there just isn't going to be all that much humidity. I am envisioning a sauna, which is ludicrous. I am not going to have a humidifier running in there!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 12:11 PM

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

As I told you, the lady from charley's greenhouses is working on a quote for me a greenhouse and she says I can hang gro lights in the greenhouse even though I will have a misting table....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.