Seed Identification Bean Vine ?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was given these seeds and the envelope says "Bean Vine"
when i search for it, all i found was Dolichos lablab
but the images of the beans/seeds do not look like these.

anyone have any idea what they are, and are there various types of Bean Vine,
and I just havent been able to find any other info on them.

TIA,

terese

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Could they be Scarlett Runner Bean?

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Those look like Speckled Butterbeans to me.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

they look the same shape as the Scarlet runner... but they are not red in the least.
I haven't found an image of the Speckled one yet....

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

These?

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/40242/index.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks -- but the seeds I have are tan/brown

oh well, i'll plant'em and see what comes up. maybe it's a variety of these other vines.

I'll see if i can find the email of the gal that gave them to me and see if she has any other info.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I noticed in one of the pics there was a lot of variation in the color, so its a possibility that they're scarlet runner beans. It will be a fun experiment to see what you get! :)

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I can tell you they are not sword bean vine nor purple hyacinth bean. I'll be curious to see what you get...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks pod... as you can see the only thing (ident) on the bag was "bean vine" and when i searched that, it came up with the Hyacinth bean - which it obviously isn't. I emailed the gal who gave me the bean and she said it could "possibly" castor oil bean -- which i don't think it is either (seeds don't look the same)

I've even done an image search in google and could not find a match...

so -- i'm WS'ing some and when I get growth, I'll post images. I'm interested to see what they are.

**edit for typo

This message was edited Feb 18, 2007 3:52 PM

My castor beans looked different and aren't a vine but a small tree. Might be an edible bean vine... You didn't by any chance get them from Jack (and the beanstalk)? : ))

It doesn't look like my castor bean plant's seeds, either.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Painted Lady beans are lighter than the scarlet runner bean seeds.
Adding a link
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/135731/

This message was edited Feb 18, 2007 9:23 PM

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

YES!! that looks like the seeds.

thanks Windy

Lucky you! How cool is that plant and a plant with a neat name too. We will hope to see photos when it begins to grow... : )) pod

tsc, maybe you'll have some seeds to trade in the fall!!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

FlowrLady,

i was given 9, and WS'ed 5. so i still have 4 left.

now i just have to learn to collect all these seeds so i can participate better in the 'seed swapping'

I was fortunate to have found someone, not far from me on the GW site who gave me 13 different varieties for a SASBE.

so - i should have a lot come Fall.

Terese

I just placed an order for some. I hope everything is okay, because according to Garden Watchdog, I ordered from a vendor who has more negatives than positives. I also ordered two kinds of tomato seeds. Cross your fingers for me!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

flowrlady - who'd ya order from? and yanno -- there are companies that i have ordered from and always had good luck, but their reviews in here are usually about 50/50 with some horrific stories. sometimes it's a crap-shoot.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I think Heirloom seeds has them.

I ordered from Reimer seeds. Apparently they give Very Specific instructions on how to grow their seeds, and if you don't do it Exactly as they say, theywon't consider a refund. Hopefully I won't have that problem... Got my fingers crossed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.