What are the road conditions like right now in PA/ WV/ MD?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

My parents have to drive from southeastern Ohio (near Marietta) to Philadelphia tomorrow and they are trying to decide if they should take Interstate 70 straight through Pennsylvania or take highway 50 through West Virginia to 1 and go up along the coast. 50 is less likely to be as covered in snow than 70, but it is so hilly that if it is icy it could be worse than the snow.

Can any of you tell me what the weather and driving conditions are going to be like in PA, WV, and the Baltimore areas tomorrow?

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 7:42 PM

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Marylyn
I bet 70 gets plowed better... just about everything was closed around here today, but it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Mike

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

It was snow on top of ice but Pendot has been cindering & salting 24 hours. Maybe you could look up the conditions on the PA turnpike online. Just just google. I didn't go to work today. (Carlisle near Harrisburg)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think they decided the same thing, Mike. I looked at the DOT websites for PA and WV. PA says the roads are snowy but open - drive carefully. WV says their roads are slushy and icy. When Mom called back I told her that and she said that they would probably take 70. Thank you so much, both of you, for responding!! :-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Marylyn, I was hoping somebody from WV would answer this, but I'm glad they opted to go via 70. I wouldn't want to drive those twisty mountain WV roads when there is no snow and ice. Yes, I know PA has mountains but not like WV.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, hart. I'm talking to them on the phone right now. They're in Bedford, PA right now, and having a very good trip. :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I guess you heard what happened on 81 & 78 routes in PA. It was a tragedy. People were stranded on those roads for 36 hours with the Nat'l Guard providing gasoline & food. Glad that is over.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I was so glad that they were going to Philadelphia and not someplace like Newark! I talked to them several times as they were travelling yesterday and 70 and 76 were fine. They had to detour once around an accident on 76, but it wasn't a big deal. They will be driving back home tomorrow, so I hope the roads stay that good! I know they are going to get 1-3 feet of snow in Columbus tomorrow.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was watching the weather channel yesterday and they were calling for snow pretty much everywhere north and west of here as well as southwestern Virginia. I'm in the northern tip of Virginia, so I'm talking everything from the Virginia line west. It's supposed to warm up to the 50s here on Tuesday so if they get stranded, they shouldn't be for long.

I'll be so glad to see this snow and ice finally melt off. And warmer weather. This is the second morning in a row my pipes have been frozen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.