propagiting azaleas

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

A neighbor has some beautiful Red Ruffles Azaleas, and I want to know if I could possibly root some cuttings- if so, details would be great! Thanks

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

You live in a greenhouse enviroment, just like me! After they flower, take a few cuttings where your neighbor might want to be pruning the azalea for next year's shape. Rub off the leaves from that portion of the stem that will be below the growing medium. Stick the cutting in the pre-moistened potting soil, keep it moist, but not soaking wet, and let nature give you a new plant. I limit the above ground leaves to two/three (there's no magic formula), just remember that you are trying to create roots below the soil line, not leaves above the soil. There may be people who will give you a better, more ideal way of doing it, but I'm just an old retired guy, They seem to do well for me here in central Alabama. I wish you well. I guess I should add that the total length of the stem I use never exceeds a few inches.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thanks- I will try that- at this time they are in full bloom-early since we didn't ever have winter! Should I use bottom heat? I have a nice little mini propagation tray with a greenhouse cover- would that help?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I know many people are successful rooting azaleas, but I have found it tricky. What does work for me is a lazy version of layering. I take low-growing branches and stick heavy rocks or bricks on them to weight them down, so the branch is pressed against the ground. I go away. I come back a year later, and they have rooted nicely. I bet your neighbor wouldn't mind. You can do it in the back of the plant, so it isn't visible. Even if you try rooting cuttings, I recommend doing this as a back-stop, just in case your cuttings don't make it.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

happy, great suggestion - I try to have the portion on the ground be a growth node, and I lightly (very) scrape the part of the stem that's going to be on the ground. I also round up slightly a bit of soil around that area. I'm no expert, just a hobby gardener who likes to propagate woody plants of the south. Your way is the easiest, least stressful way of propagating.
Thanks.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7a)

Great idea, happy_macomb
Thanks!
Adele

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.