Philly Flower Show March

somewhere, PA

There are so many types of competitions... here are entries for troughs with miniture scenes. Here is
a trio. One has a wedding scene.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

My friend loved this one. Her family runs a cemetry. This one has an old cemetary
scene in it.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And this was my favorite of the big commercial displays. This design company brought in
all these stones and created a small stone henge, a ruin church with grave stones, some of
those mushroom things used to keep straw off the ground, and a stone tower. There was a
tree growing in the middle of the church ruin and roses growing around the church. And lilies
etc. It was wonderful.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

more of this display

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

more

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And we'll end my picture tour with a couple of the window boxes.

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And the last ...

Thumbnail by Tammy
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Your pictures are wonderful, Thanks Tam!!

Mine are nowhere near as good as yours but here are a few.

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Each tower was a different flower/color.

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

These were huge!

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

This has to be the world's largest what? I was calling it a Christmas cactus but I am sure it is not.

New info: this is a Hybrid Epiphyllum or Orchid Cactus - thanks Patti!

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 2:20 PM

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

A beautiful 'something' in the orchid family.

Thumbnail by bluekat76
somewhere, PA

Oh Kim - your pictures are wonderful! Don't be so modest.
Tam

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Orchid close up

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

From the Bonsai display. There were different specimens in each window area labeled with the age of the plant and years it had been trained and species. Some were over 120 years old! This is a Japanese White Pine and is 60 years old, trained for 20 years.

I just think my pictures don't capture the essence/feeling of what is was like to have been there. John is the photographer in the family here.

Thumbnail by bluekat76
somewhere, PA

I missed the bonsai this year! Frankly - I was so tired I was ready to quit before looking at half
the displays but my friend really wanted to look at them all so we did look at most of the floor. I'm
not good at getting up so early and being on my feet while being "on" with people so long. LOL

Terrific photos.
Tam

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wow! Thanks, y'all for sharing your pictures. Gorgeous!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

A cottage garden complete with cottage - front and back!

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is part of the front side.

Thanks Hart!

Thumbnail by bluekat76
Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Phewee! I can't open any of Tammy's photos - anyone else having problems or is it just me? Bluekat, I could open yours and they are fantastic. Thanks for sharing photos from the show! I was out of town and missed the annual Arkansas Flower and Garden Show and am enjoying see other shows!

Debra

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I can open them no problem. I hope Bec and Chantell have more pics to post when they get home hint, hint.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Truly lovely. Sorry I missed out!

New Smyrna Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

bluekat76 your "something beautiful in the orchid" family looks like an orchid I had while living in Miami that was grown by a family member who was an Orchid judge. Same kind of plant and bloom stems only the flowers were larger.

Tammy & bluekat - All of the photos are outstanding. What an absolutely gorgeous show. Thank you so much for sharing some of the beauty with us.

Bonnie

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I posted mine Philly flower show shots here (didn't see this thread)
http://davesgarden.com/place/t/700114/

Tammy, I loved the display your group did. I loved the Legend of the Rose of Glendalough the best overall, because I now want to make my ice house into a cathedral! But a close second was the wattle fence and mural Dick Van Duzen did!!

somewhere, PA

DMC - your photo's were wonderful! Thanks for the link. I hadn't noticed the name of my favorite
display too. Thank you for giving it to me. Legend of the Rose of Glendalough. It sure was amazing.

Can you believe the mural and much of the wattle fencing will be thrown away 'cause no one has
a truck to bring it all back and storage space to keep it? We were thinking of selling it at our plant
sale (the fencing) but who would bring the big truck into the city to get it? So sad to see it go to waste.

Tam

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I heard about lots of things and plants that were going to get thrown away. I would love to be dumpster diving tonight around the Convention Center!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

I loved that purple orchid too. I can see how people get addicted to orchids.

I totally missed the little dish scenes, I love the cemetery one.

Wouldn't it be great to help dismantle? But I wouldn't want to be driving a truck around there.

On the blukat's rainbow one, where each arrangement was a different color, and there was supposed to be the effect of rain-did you see the pot of gold at the end?

There were so many layers of detail on each piece, you really couldn't do them justice in the short time available.

I was there on Thursday. We drove down Wed night and stayed over. Next year I'm doing two days.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

My goodness, thanks for sharing the Philly show. sigh,,,, so many flowers, so little $$$...
I hate that I missed the SE garden show in Altanta,,, next year.
Elaine

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Just checking in and then going to bed...flower show was amazing!!! Lots of pics...but too tired to post tonight!!! Beautiful pics ladies!!
Buttoneer - ya done good!!! Becky and I LOVED the market...food was oh so yummy and I found the tarot bulbs....yipeee!!!

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Tam and Bluekat, wonderful pics, thanks ! Amasing !

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I am so glad I was able to help you. There was this luscious Italian Bakery in the Farmers Market and I bought a Cannoli & enjoyed it all the way home on the bus. LOLOLOLOL. The bakery had a long line of people in front of it and I know that long lines mean good food, so I got in line. Made up my mind when I got to the showcase. How much was that lady selling the green Taro bulbs for by the lb? Just curious. Did you try the salad place? The food is so much better over in the Reading Terminal than the Exhibition Hall, it's almost a sin if you don't eat over there. Glad you had a good time. I'll probably go next year.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh....that place was a treasure...didn't try the sald bar...went with the ole saying While in phila do what the phila's do...
Edit to add...picked up 2 taro's...price was under a $1/lb....I got them for less then $2

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 10:25 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a rainbow for everyone!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah! We had cheesesteaks @ Jim's before going to the show. More pictures please.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Becky will have plenty to post...we spent a lot of time around the cactus: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/701037/
I thought this scenic little pond was just beautiful...esp. with the reflection

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Can't keep these alive but I am fascinated with them - a pitcher plant, I believe

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I thought this was so pretty

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thought of my pregnant DD when I saw this...LOL

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Goodlooking fellow I met after seeing the Liberty Bell

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 11:04 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I can see why in that pic Chantell! I love seeing the different perspectives of gardeners when taking pictures! I see the same thing but not in the same way. Becky's pictures give a whole new viewpoint as well.

No, you cannot have those eyelashes!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2007 12:07 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.