When to water when under an overhang?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

The only safe place to keep my jugs is on my porch. Obviously, nothing is trying to germinate now, but come March/April, some things I planted will. Should I give them a drink then and then wait to water again until seedlings pop up? Or should I just keep the soil moist once its temp (the soil's) reaches about 40F? Thanks, Tamara

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

If you watered them well when you planted then just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't dry out. You don't want to over water.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

I used moist seed starting mix (that's what I had because I do indoor seeds under lights as well). So, basically, just keep an eye on them? Tamara

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If my soil mix is moist, I can generally see a little "puff" of condensation on the inside of the container.... so that's what I go by.... if I don't see any condensation and the container feels light or looks dry, I water a bit.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I should qualify watering when planting.
After adding the soil to the container, I get it thoroughly wet and then let the extra moisture drain out before I plant the seeds.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, I do something similar, zen. I wet the medium first, drain the excess water, and then put that in my container. :-) Tamara

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.