Early and perhaps foolhardy bloomer!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

As i was on my way out the door this morning, I looked down and was surprised (really surprised) to see this Louisiana iris with a bud! This has got to be a month early? I have about 10 of these in this bed, but this is the only one doing this crazy thing!
Also we're expecting a pretty hard freeze this weekend - So of course, I took a picture!

Anyone else in the z8-ish area got iris buds??

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice photo. Spring is in the air...Hopefully it will make it.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I sure hope it makes it. If we get the weather they're forecasting (21* low) I will try to protect it somehow. :)
Deb

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Deb does that one have a name?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Phicks: Unless I'm badly confused (which is not out of the question), based on it's position in the bed, it should be a Louisiana "Black Gamecock". If it survives the freeze, I'll know for sure in a coupla days. :)
Deb

Wharton, TX(Zone 9a)

would love to see it when it opens.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have seen many pictures of "Black Gamecock". I think I will try planting some here in the high mesas of Northern New Mexico. Maybe near my back yard spiggot.

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I have the same worry, I planted irises last year, and found a bud on "Prissy Miss" the first of this week, it's supposed to be freezing tonight so I'm not sure if it will make it or not.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pajar: I've had very good luck with Louisiana iris in general. They seem to not mind if it's a cold spring or record heat. They have done very well in part shade for me. They're not in a bog or even a real low spot. I do water them alot in spring and summer. But they have multiplied and bloomed better each year. I haven't had the same luck with other types of iris; not sure why - maybe because I have very few sunny spots....or because they don't often get much of a chill in the winter...don't know.

Diamnd, someone suggested I put a bucket or some sort of shelter over the bud and put a cup of water underneath with it. Gonna give it a try!
Deb

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

How about one of the 'wall of water' things that are generally sold for tomatoes??

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Grannymarsh: I haven't grown veggies before, so may I ask, the wall of water thing is what? Is that like a sprinkler set up or somesuch?
Thanks,
Deb

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I am in Zone 8 and have a bud on Mariposa Autumn bearded iris. It is much shorter than usual. I doubt the bloom will open with some of the crazy weather we have had lately. Your bud is much prettier than mine I must say.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

http://www.gardeners.com

Gardeners supply calls them Red Tomato Teepees

There is a discussion over at GW re: their effectiveness. Both sides of that argument seem quite convinced.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow a lot of LA iris and I must admit this one made me go out and take a look. I also only grow LA iris--but many other members of the Iridaceae family; I also do not grow in bog conditions either. I don't have any buds on any of my early blooming varieties--but I have not fertilized yet this season, either. We have had a very wet winter so I'm thinking I will have a very good bloom season this year. I was going to give them their first feed this weekend.
Debbie

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

GrannyM: Thanks for the info.

Debbie: I have to say that there is a possibility that this one that's budding is not Black Gamecock, but could be a purple one of an unknown purple bearded variety that I was given by someone. By it's location, it ought to be BG, but there was a small clump of the other one nearby and it's possible the other spread out a bit more than I expected. Their foliage is very similar. I'll be weeding today, too - and will keep scrutinizing..trying in vain to figure it out. I hope you'll post some pics of yours when they bloom.

It hasn't opened yet....so I still don't know. :) Two nights at freezing tho, and it's still looking good.

Deb

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Don't have that problem here. It has been below zero for 2 weeks at night and a foot of snow. Sigh.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sending warm vibes toward IA for ya! :)
Deb

OK DebinSC! Is it bloomin' yet? the suspense is killing me here--lol It would be the first LA I've seen bloom anywhere this year--that would be exciting!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh no! It was pouring rain when I got home today, and didn't go see!
It was nice and warm today tho, so I'll look first thing in the AM and take a pic if it's opened! :)
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh boy, am I embarrassed. Remember when I said....

Quoting:
I have to say that there is a possibility that this one that's budding is not Black Gamecock, but could be a purple one of an unknown purple bearded variety that I was given by someone. By it's location, it ought to be BG, but there was a small clump of the other one nearby and it's possible the other spread out a bit more than I expected. Their foliage is very similar

Guess what, it was that unknown purple bearded variety that I was talkin' about.

Dmj1218: So still no La. iris in bloom. Although, there are two in my back garden that I'm absolutely positive are Louisiana's that do have buds.

Anyway, here's the one I've been watching. Can anyone put a name to it? It's about 12" tall, maybe a bit more. And it's a little more purple than it looks in the photo. (All of it is the darker purple that shows on the front fall in this photo.)

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's a beauty even if it isn't an LA. It is so nice to have flowers in February!

My earliest purple Intermediate bearded iris is about 14 inches tall--Eleanor Roosevelt. Does this look familiar?

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Very familiar! I think that's it. :) Thank you. When do they "normally" bloom for you Wanda?
There were several large clumps of this one when we moved in here. It bloomed well the first year but not so much last year so I had divided and moved - I only left this one tiny clump in this spot and put in a bunch of others (Lousianas) that I thought would do well in the part shade in this spot.

I guess these (E. Roosevelt?) liked being divided because they spread out quite a bit. What a pleasant surprise! (Oddly, the ones I moved to what I thought were "better" and sunnier locations aren't nearly as far along as this one.)

Thanks for the I.D. :)...

And DMJ: When my first Lousiana blooms I'll post it - especially if it's an early one!

Deb

Eleanor Roosevelt is an Intermediate that blooms in early May for me. It is a vigorous grower with lots of increases like most IBs. The intermediates bloom early and do well in part shade since they are about done blooming before the trees leaf out properly. The shape is pretty distinctive, but the early blooms & rich color are a dead giveaway.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

OK, this one's just started showing a bud today. It's got to be Louisiana BG because it's in a bed where I planted no other kind. So this time I'm sure. (I think.) It's awfully early for them. If I'm right, and it opens in a few days, I'll post it. If it turns out I have finally lost my mind, I'll keep it to myself! :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

I'm sure it is--Bearded iris would show the branching you see in my photo with at least 3-7 buds per stalk.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yahoo! It's open. Not all the way, but it's definitely the genuine article.
I can never get the color quite right tho. It's such a love deep velvety purple.
Thanks, Wanda. I see what you mean now that I've compared. The bearded one has two other buds on the same stalk. This is single.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Deb... I am totally jealous. I'm in upstate SC and my LA's are no where near a budding stage

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a beauty! I am going to try to order that very one. I love LA Iris. I don't know if they grow here, but I hear they really don't need a bog. It never hurts to try.

Looks similiar to my Louisiana "Black Gamecock".

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yup. That's what it is. The one blooming now that I posted above is a little pekid, but here's a photo from the same clump taken last year when they were at their peak. It's my absolute favorite.
Deb
Edited to say: I still can never get the color in the photo quiteright, tho. :)

This message was edited Mar 1, 2007 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thank you Deb and Wanda. Really beautiful pictures. Just in time to inspire my iris ordering!

Nice job Deb--still nada here! =)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dmj: Soon! To tell the truth, that one BG was a real early fellow. There are only a couple of others with buds and the rest will probably bloom at their "normal" time (April). Be sure and put up some pics of yours when the time comes.

Deb

That's one I must admit I don't own--but if it often blooms this early, its a winner! =)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dmj: BG is the only Lousiana I have at the moment, so I'd love to see yours, whichever you have. I have ordered two other La. varieties which I hope will arrive any day now...Can't recall which, but with a bit of yellow and lavender to mix in with the others.

Deb

PS/I'm going to be so spoiled. Why can't everything bloom now?! ;->

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Deb, I have a few TB iris buds too. One opened a few weeks ago but the cold nights did it in.

yes Deb, I have a few LA's....

Some unusual ones too; I'll show you what I have on this thread when they start sputtering out blooms (usually start about mid-to end of March) here. Should be good when it starts, but they are predicting another freeze tonight. We have had a very wet winter and all of the plants are big and healthy. I can be patient (as if I have much choice).
Debbie

My LAs seem to be doing better in a low area of my yard that holds water (clay). Tazzy gave me several a few years ago. Maybe they will settle in and bloom right for me this summer--or I'll have to adopt them out 7 plant more Siberians.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Look who surprised me this morning. If my memory is working properly this afternoon, I'd say this is Lousiana "Easter Tide". They didn't bloom last year and I moved them in with the Black Gamecock. It's not fully open yet but I had to take a pic anyway. What a nice thing to find. :)

Debbie: Yours blooming yet?

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.