Soil temp or air temp?

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

When a seed packet says a certain temp to germinate, are they referring to the soil temp? I broke down and bought a seedling mat so I can start the Madagascar jasmine. I want to make sure everything is right so I can get them to actually grow. Tamara

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I'm guessing it should be soil surface temp. But temps are never that accurate as further into the soil would be warmer if you are using bottom heat and reverse if using air temp to warm the soil!
The difference between the 2 should be very close though!

Mike

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

they are referring to the soil temp-if you use warm water to wet down the soil and mist the seeds, it will help to keep the soil temps up.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Be carefull with using water that has been standing rather than fresh water though as this can promote moulds and mildews.

(Zone 4a)

Mike is correct.

Also, standing water loses its oxygen, and seeds need oxygen to germinate.

Corinne

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Not that water has anything to do with the topic, but since the door has been opened.....

Some growers let (tap) water stand for 24 hours to get rid of excess chlorine and let the temps settle to room temperature. I don't necessarily go by that advice but it sounds good.

Back on topic, I agree it is soil temps since most garden programs talk about taking a temperature probe to check the ground temps before planting. Black plastic is used for warming garden beds faster than letting nature take its course (peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant are supposed to benefit from this technique). Starting seeds indoors isn't as big a deal since most house temps are ideal for seed starting. For some tropical seeds (tropical water lily and water lotus come to mind) that require much warmer temps to germinate, then the sunniest windowsill is ideal.

(Zone 4a)

Water is related to the topic.

Outside germination issues are not on topic.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.