soy beans

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

Has anyone grown soy beans? I buy them frozen at the grocery store and thought I'd like to try growing a row in my garden.. But are there different kinds or could someone suggest where to buy and what kind of seeds? Are they hard to grow or do they grow just like green beans? I'd appreciate any help on this. Do I have to keep them a certain distance from the green beans to avoid a pollination problem or anything ?
Thanks.........babs

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've never grown them, but they're not in the same genus as green beans so cross pollination is unlikely (maybe not impossible, some things can form intergeneric hybrids but they're definitely much rarer than inter-species hybrids).

Here are the ones that are listed in Plant Files, if people have added comments to them it may help you decide which ones to try, or at least it gives you some names that you can Google to find out more about:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=glycine&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=max&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

west allis, WI(Zone 4b)

thank you I appreciate the info.............b

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.