Why so many seeds?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I just received my seeds from Swallowtail Gardens Seeds. Included were packages of Nigella - Persian Jewels (Love-in-a- Mist) which holds about 2,500. And California Poppies - which holds approximately 4500 seeds!!!!

I plan to plant these in little paper pots - but not if I am to assume that all those seeds are sent because only one seed in 200 germinates!

Can someone clue me in?

thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think often the number of seeds that they send has to do with how many seeds the plant produces, for common plants that are easy to grow and that make a lot of seeds they can include tons of them for the same price, but for something that only makes a few seeds or that is much rarer, you might only get a few seeds in a packet.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Find a sad looking open area around your house, and spread the extra seeds with a wish for luck. ;)

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I knew I should not look at this site now I have another "Favorite" site to temp me. Hello my name is Chris and I'm a gardenholic. LOL

somewhere, PA

Hi Chris!

Seandor - I had trouble with Love-in-a-Mist / Nigella self seeding a little too
freely at my last place. It definitely has a good germination rate. Just put the
extra seed aside for next year. You can store it in the refridgerator or in any
cool place. (I keep mine in a tin in the cool basement).

Tam

Hi Tam! This is the first time I have seen Swallowtail Garden seeds, looked at the site and I'm impressed with what I saw. I have received all the seeds that I want to plant this season, but I am easily tempted to buy more. Biting off more then I can chew I'm afraid!

Chris

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Great! so if the little paper pots that I have winter sown don't work, I don't have to worry :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Some seeds are good for many years. So just use what you need, store the rest. Next time germ test them before you plant. 10 or 20 seeds placed between wet paper towels inside a baggy, & put where it is warm will do it. Top of refidge usually works. Only takes a few days.

I noticed someone mentioned "gardenholic".
Here's a help for the addiction.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3169732

Bernie

Hi Bernie, Thanks for the stepdown program! Very funny and Oh so true. I decided to start a wish list in my DG Journal for all the seeds/plants I want to try for 2008. I plan on started some seeds this weekend, been snow bound and starting to get major cabin fever. Which explains why I can't stay away for the seed catalogs.

Seandor, Thanks for getting me to look at Swallowtail, I like large # of seeds, more to trade or RR with fellow gardeners at DG.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I went to Swallowtail after many attempts at growing seeds - and utter failure. I then viewed other members comments on the lack of germination for seeds bought from Thomas Morgan seeds. I noticed that Swallowtail was one of the 30 companies that had high reviews, so I thought I would give them a chance. I have ordered perennials from a variety of sources, but have always been impressed with the plants from Bluestone Perennials, and that company is listed among the 30 recommended. So I took a chance with Swallowtail - now we will see if the problem is the source of the seed - or me :-)

Seandor, I like BlueStone too. I live close enough that I make an annual pilgramage there.

I order germiniation mix from Gardeners Supply, I have always had success with it. Afraid to try anything else.

Keep us posted on how thing progress for you.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Is "germination mix" a soil substitute?

The germination mix is Sphagnum Peat Moss , Vermiculite and trace Minerals (what ever they are) This year I'm trying their Germination mix with compost.
I guess when you find something that works try to stick with it.

When the seedlings get a little bigger I start adding a weak dilution of fertilizer to the water.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.