Purdue Crop Map

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I suppose this the best all-around forum for this post............. on these cold winter days. You can look up your county or nearly any other county in the country to see what is being grown in field crops, vegetables, and fruits.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/cropmap/default.html

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Interesting- thanks!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

That is very cool. Thanks for posting it. There are no vegetable farms listed in my county other than for sweet corn. Maybe I should take a hint and raise cattle like everyone else here...

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

or corner the market by being the only one offering local fresh vegetables?

Great resource Indy. Thanks for posting it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No farming was listed in my county and I suspect that is because there is no farming here due to the fact that we have very little soil. The vegetables for our farmers' market come from nearby towns which have soil!. And this will come as no surprise, the Indians farmed here before the Europeans arrived, and there were a few small Hispanic farms on our Mesa. Now all of those farms are either National Laboratory (43 square miles), National Park (Bandelier National Monument) or homes and businesses. We farm in our back yards or the community garden and that's it. The government has been giving pieces of the land they confiscated during WWII back to the Indians, but the Indians (San Ildefonso Pueblo) aren't doing all that much farming these days either. They will either leave it in the wild state or use it for commercial development.
There are just so many people and so little land here.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Great site, Thanks!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Who knew we had 69 peach trees in 1997. Well, if all of those are alive and mine survive this winter, we'll have 70 trees for the next count... oh, I'm not a listed farmer, so I guess I don't count. Good to know some intrepid peaches survive our harsh climate, though. Thanks for the link!

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I found one error on the Purdue map. It doesn't include the Ozarks leading cash crop. You all know what that is. It's smoked, not eaten. LOL.
Dave.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Smoked left handed or right handed Dave?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.