sheltered sunny spot, suggestions?

Ardmore, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, this is my first post as a new subscriber! I have a sheltered, south-facing spot in what will be a courtyard in my zone 6b garden. It will be walled on 3 sides. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions as to what I can plant as a sort of centerpiece in the middle. I would like to plant something that would bear fruit and have some ornamental appeal. As it is a sheltered spot, I was hoping I could try something a little more exotic that I might not be able to get away with in another location on my property. I am already planning on planting a couple peach, plums and pear trees elsewhere, so I would like to go with something else for this spot. Thanks!!

This message was edited Feb 9, 2007 2:57 PM

Longboat Key, FL

A cluster of fig trees.

I am new to Princeton, NJ., and two years ago I started two one-gallon pots against a south-facing wall. They wintered over 05-06 and bore fruit. I haven't checked them out this year -- I'll let you know when I am back North in the spring.

There is nothing -- nothing -- like a fresh picked fig.

: )

Ardmore, PA(Zone 6b)

That is a very good suggestion! I was actually wondering about figs, but I am not sure about how ornamental they are. What do the flowers look like? Is the tree more bushy or wispy? When it comes down to it, I am much more interested in having the fruit than having something that looks great, but I was just curious if I can find both. Also, do you think they would survive in the ground? I've been doing lots of reading about this, but I find all kinds of answers. Thanks so much! I would also be very interested in finding out how yours overwintered.

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

I second the fig tree suggestion. I'm not sure if your climate would allow you to grow it as a tree instead of a bush, but if so fig trees are beautiful in courtyards. They get very gnarly and picturesque, with a great canopy of interesting lobed leaves.

Longboat Key, FL

It may be some time -- but I'll respond when I get back to them. No flowers -- but beautiful foliage and fruit.

Good luck

Ardmore, PA(Zone 6b)

Kabocha - Thanks for the description! If I could get it to grow as a tree, it seems like a fig is exactly what I am looking for. However, I suppose if it dies down to the ground every winter that it isn't going to be likely to grow as a tree. I guess it might be worth taking a chance, though, that it will have enough shelter and perhaps a warmer microclimate in this particular spot.

Thanks, to flyboyFL for the suggestion in the first place.
I had thought about trying trifoliate orange, but I couldn't tell from the descriptions I've read if the fruit is any good.

Longboat Key, FL

Thought I'd post a couple of photos.

This is a fig tree on my neighbor's lot. He brough the original cutting with him from Greece. He keeps it trimmed. (Note: He hasn't trimmed it yet, this year.)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

My fig trees are espaliered, against the south side of my houes. They are starting to leaf out.

Here are a couple of fruit on his. right now. You can also pick them out on the other photo.

Be well

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I agree w/ fig trees, sculptural, kind of gangly. but w/ lovely big-leaf foliage, very tropical looking & almost all of the small fig trees I've purchased have produced fruit at a young age. Mine are mostly along the southern exposure of my house, w/ a windmill palm, & a musa basjoo. I'm trying to decide what to plant in that area this season-last year I had some lantanas & hypericum, both did well, I'm thinking about trying okra...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.