self-fertile paw-paw tree

Brooklyn, NY

are there any self-fertile paw-paw varieties?

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

'Sunflower' has been reputed to be self-fertile, but even if it is, planting another variety, or allowing a sucker from the seedling rootstock of your grafted Sunflower to grow up will probably result in heavier fruiting.

Brooklyn, NY

the few places that sell the sunflower variety all say it is "reputed" to be self-fertile- has anyone ever actually heard of a sunflower paw paw that was self- fertile?

my prob is that i only have room in my ground for one more tree.

what if I planted a pawaw tree in the ground and then grew a different variety next to it in a container and kept the container variety to about 4-6 ft so its large enough to produce flowers to pollinate the other pawpaw tree in the ground. I wouldnt necessarily care how well the container tree grew as long as it thrived sufficiently to produce flowers to pollinate the tree in the ground- would that work?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

My pawpaw problem with two unnamed seedling plants arose when the bloom times were not concurrent. One year the larger tree did set some fruit but it did not develop fully and fell off. The smaller tree has since died and I'm planning to replace it, probably with a named cultivar.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

gg,
Pawpaws are pretty easy to graft - I put 'em almost in the same class with apples/pears. You could graft multiple varieties onto one or two trees. I've got a buddy in MI who has well over 20 different pawpaw varieties grafted onto a single tree.
If you've not attempted grafting, it's not rocket surgery or anything - just simple carpentry. I've done simple whips, whip & tongue, and simple bark grafts on pawpaw, all with reasonably high success rates.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.