Anyone personally familiar with Kew Gardens?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Folks!

My daughter's Godmother is taking a trip to London this month (she's so excited!!).

One of the places she wants to visit is Kew Gardens. As we were looking at the literature/book on it we soon discovered that place is HUGE! Also it seems really packed with many things to see of quite a few various kinds.

I was wondering if anyone has been there and could highlight some of the areas they really thought were worth visiting as well as other areas that might've also been enjoyable to see but if someone was on a limited time schedule they might want to pass up certain areas in order to view other parts/programs. (For me, it would definitely have to be an all-day visit, at least!)

Can someone offer any input, suggestions, and/or words of encouragement?

Many thanks!
Shoe

(And of course, if anyone can suggest other areas to visit in London (or the outskirts) I'm sure she'd love to know about that as well!)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I've been several times. Where you want to go, depends on what you're interested in - I tend to head for the Pinetum area (toward southwest corner) as I'm into conifers.

One word of warning - the entry fee is ferocious.

Resin

Printscreen of google earth - main Pinetum area ringed in red.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Isnt there a plant market near there some days?
The streets near there are just like something out of mary popins.heheh

For the tourists buckinum palace .... pop round to see aunty bett if she's in she puts a flag up

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Resin. I'll let her know to take plenty of cash (and I guess she'll have to learn pounds and shillings and such).

Mike, streets are like out of mary poppins? Hehehe...I reckon she should carry an umbrella, too then, just in case she gets the urge to fly?

Not sure who aunt Betty is; one of the Royalty?

Shoe

I reckon in London nowadays you'd be mad to carry anything except weapons to fight of the muggers! lol

Aunty betty???!! The queen! For some reason she looks just like my nan. But hey england is a small place we could be related. .... i wish

Shillings??? Its half crowns that catch me out.

Then there is Fort Mason... strange name for a nick nack shop but do a wicked scrambled eggs and salmon!

then "old fried eggs" place ... whats it called harolds or herrod ... you know the chap... dudey old fried eggs's dad. The one that was havin it away with the king to be's misses. He had em both bumped off by the french.... just something else for the english to hate them for!

I have been several times; I find you CAN do it all in one day.
This time of year is wonderful for the orchids and the crocuses. I adore the Palm House.

You won't need to learn about shillings anymore; they were abolished a while ago. They have one pound (at the moment worth about $ 2) and that is divided into 100 pence. You will find everything very expensive mostly due to the exchange rate.

Quoting:
Not sure who aunt Betty is; one of the Royalty?

a.k.a. Mrs. Elizabeth Windsor. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II_of_the_United_Kingdom

Kew prices are here:
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/visitor/priceskew.html
Nine quid fifty, winter price, rising to £12.25 (about US$24) on 1st April
What a b***** rip-off! Even more than I thought! (last time I went, I was visiting one of the staff in the herbarium, so didn't have to pay :-)

I'd strongly suggest going to Edinburgh instead, and visit the Edinburgh Royal Botanic Gardens, they're free entry.

Resin

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Great info, Folks! Thanks!

I'll be sure to mention the "fried eggs place" as well as Fort Mason and Edinburgh.

Dutchlady, thanks for the info on the shillings. And I guess a pence is similar to our pennies? Or am I way off? (Guess I'll let my daughter's Godmother figure it all out when she gets there!)

Shoe

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Shoe, I think Mike is referring to Fortnum and Mason. It's a posh store in Picadilly carrying all manner of things from perfume to sausage and tea. You can eat there or shop, and it's a great spot for finding unique food/gift items to bring home as gifts. Harrods in the Knightsbridge area is my favorite shopping experience. Both are definitely worth the trip (though spendy). Just a sidebar, one can often find very nice things from Harrods, Fortnum and Mason and other famous London shops right at Heathrow Airport in the outbound terminal on the way home.

Kew Gardens is a rip, but lovely, though I haven't been in the last 5 years. Windsor Castle (another one of Aunt Betty's residences) is also worth the trip and is not far from Heathrow on the way in to London. Despite the 2005 bombings, the subway or "Tube" is still the best way to get around, and is relatively safe (depending on the time of day and area) cheap and convenient. Buy a day pass rather than single fares.

If your friend wants to take in a musical, I recommend going directly to the theatre where the musical is playing when their box office opens, unless it's a hot new sold out show. Often there are return tickets for sale with better seats and lower prices than what one would find at the half price booths at Leicester Square or Covent Garden. You can also purchase theatre tickets online before you go, but it costs a lot more.

How exciting to be going to London! I wish I was!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks, galega! Those are some great tips and information!

As for taking in a musical that is a high probability considering both the folks going enjoy plays. And yes, they also mentioned getting around on the subway so they'll be glad to hear it is safe and reasonable cost wise.

I think I'll print out this whole thread for them. They'll be leaving on the 15th so they can read up on things and be prepared.

Many Thanks, Folks!

Shoe

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Shoe, More info to pass on...

The Sunday Plant Market is in Columbia Road - in the east end.....the other side of London from Kew.
It is only open from 6am - 1pm so you have to go early (At around 12 ish they start selling off everything cheap)
It's a real "East End London" experience....with Traders holding up Palms shouting out "Grow yer own bananas" etc
Although it is better to go in summer - there is a tiny cafe in a cobbled street nearby that sells mugs of tea etc to warm you up. Its a real London experince (Similar, but more authentic to the Nottinghill film!)
Nearby is another fab tiny cafe that is called Pellici's - a 1940's (?) wooden interior (Art deco ish) - with amazing Sunday Lunches (very cheap)...B&W pictures of old boxers on the walls. Still owned by the same family.

Kew is worth going to, even at the price, but there are plenty of other things in London that are cheap if not free. It's just a matter of talking to a few people to find out about "real London" things....I lived there for 20 years and dispite the scary stories and occasional headlines - I would consider it a very safe place - its a city and like any other has its fair share of nutters, but at the end of the day, you are surrounded by people.

Fortnum's closed it's doors last year - sad occasion for such an institution - but they do wicked Afternoon Teas at many of the posh hotels...Clarriges / Simpsons etc - look them up on the web!

Buy a travel card and a small Map, don't get the Tube from Covent Garden to Leicester square ...it is 200 yards away (Classic mistake). Don't go to Madame Toussards (Not worth a penny entrance fee!)
Walk around, there's lots to see and its free!
Have a fab time...Let me know if you want any other info
Sue

Oh NO - F&M closed? What a tragedy...and a piece of history lost. Tea at the Waldorf is good too, and very near the theatres.

I second the motion on Madame Toussaud's, and also add to the list of what NOT to do: The London Eye (way expensive for an hour's ride, long lines, etc.).

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My goodness, Sue! Bigtime thanks!

You make it sound very exciting! I love the little cafe's as they sound like a great spot to 'rest your feet' from all the running around and sight-seeing! And yes, I agree, talking and mingling with the local folks is more to my liking than making it a point to visit many of the 'tourist' spots (although I'd sure like to head to the ones many of ya'll have mentioned above!).

Is a travel card the same thing as a 'day pass' for the Tube? So grateful for your input, Sue.

Galega, Is the London Eye a scenic ride of some kind?

Many thanks to all. I owe ya on this one!

Friend Shoe.

A travelcard can be purchased for one day or longer - it's what I meant by the day pass. I think they are for 3 and 7 days too, but you do have to indicate what zones you will be travelling in, and most everything falls into zones 1 and 2 for seeing the central part of the city. If you want a travelcard that covers more ground it will cost you more - i.e., Heathrow is in the farthest zone, so if you're taking a one way trip to heathrow, just buy the single fare unless you are zipping about the rest of the city on the day you leave. All of the info needed to purchase these tickets is at each tube stop and they are available in machines. The great thing about the travelcard is that is works on busses within those zones too.

The London Eye was built as a new millenium attraction right across from the Embankment along the river. It is a huge clear bubble encased ferris wheel of sorts that takes you extremely high up over the city so that you can look out and see the Tower of London, St Paul's, Parliament buildings, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge, and the like, from up in the air. If it's a foggy, day, it's not worth the 23 or so quid to wait in a long queue, security detail, and endure the excruciatingly slow trip around the wheel. I was with a group of friends who really wanted to do it, so I caved in and went with them. There were five not so friendly others in the bubble with us and it was a bit like an akward elevator ride that lasted about 45 minutes, I think. Young children would really enjoy it, or it would be pretty at night if you could get your own bubble...and maybe you can for a very large fee...LOL.

Ballintleva, Ireland

This thread is bringing it all back...
for a one day pass you get a single card that you show / post thru the Tube barriers - but for a Travelcard you have a card as your ID...AND a card to show the date that you have paid to. You will need to take a passport sized photo for the ID card. Its really easy to get - they make them at any of the Tubes very quickly.
I would deffinatly say that you save money and its so much easier to hop on busses....not worry about the amount it costs / fiddling for change etc - so I would urge your travellers to take a photo!
A weeks pass is relatively cheap for zones 1and 2 - central London (They also come zones 1 to 4 and 1 to 6 - I think!)

Other interesting walks / areas...
The walk down Marylebone High St - non touristy. Start of at Baker Street Tube - turn left walk a little to the Top of Marylebone Church. Turn right (Take a look around The Conran Shop - fabulous furniture and gifts)
Lots of places to eat / shop and mingle....end of the walk ...thru St Christophers Place and out onto Oxford Street

Richmond (near Kew) can be georgeous .....real banks of the river stuff (s'pose another one best to do in summer)

I second the London eye as a "not worth it Tourist attraction" - not because of the fee but because it takes longer to get your ticket and queue to get on it than it does to go around it.....and "Betty's place" is also a bit of a no go area - as it is too much like "just what you expect from a palace....too much red carpet and gold ornaments!

If you want a view accross London - go to the Tate Modern (free) - and go up to the cafe on the top floor. Other things in that area are the banks of the river / Shakesperes globe theatre (rebuilt) and what we affectionatly term as "The wobbly bridge" - another millenium "masterpiece"....it is a beautiful footbridge over the Thames that, when first constructed wobbled a LOT as people walked over it!

Will keep thinking...
Sue

Not sure if the 'wobbly bridge' is open at the moment, it started wobbling again in the gales last month, and they closed it "indefinitely" for safety checks. I don't know if it has been re-opened yet or not.

Resin

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not been to London for a few years, but our favoutite place was Covent Garden. there was an undercover market, the shops, and loads of street entertainers.
There also was a lovely quirky little shop for toys that had a little museum sort of place attatched to it with the old-fashioned toys that worked on spindles....(if you get my meaning) my kids used to always head there first, and spend ages .

we also did the Tower, but that was disapointing as you just got jostled round in a long, constantly, slowly moving line, not really able to stop and look at things .

my friends also used to have a couple of little booklets that gave you lots of walking tours of 'unknown 'parts of London, such as the old courts and inns ,I can't though remember the name s of the books.

Libertys shop is another place to go and marvel at , the store itself is incredible (I drooled over the stunning range of fabrics in it regularly...)

There are loads of street markets too that are fun to browse, though you'll have to pull info up on those from the net.

Hope they have a great time.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Boy, sounds like London is a big place to me with lots to see. Thanks for all the input and suggestions everyone!

(If it were me I think I'd have to eventually head out to the countryside for a breather. I hope there is "countryside" nearby so they can also stretch their eyes as well as their legs!)

Again, thanks!
Shoe

Ballintleva, Ireland

We're back to Kew Gardens again!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yay!!! Works out perfect, eh!?

If you fold up a Lady g'diver you can see Aunty betts arse!
But moving on swiftly... I reckon your right about the flower market. NEVER ask me for directions. I find my way round london by accident i have been to a mad indoor market aswell. Sells a right load of junk but i love seeing the people.
Brick lane for a curry thats well worth a trip!

Peckham isn't the place to be for out of towners so don't be going watching only fools and thinking you know where you are.

If your looking for country side try Clapham common, according to something i read there are some nice cottages. hehe

Fort Mason closed?/? You sure? My brother inlaw bought his mum her xmas present from there! He may have got it before it closed but he's not organised so i can't imagine it.

Try Madame butterflys in soho.... take some pics and send them to me!

For beer on Oxford street there is a really old fashioned drinking hole half way down on the right heading away from Marble arch just down an alleyway. Really cheap beer Hoegarden or some german brand...

You can do all the bright lights like round lisecster square and picalled willy. but nothing like the gritty back streets of london. You can see and smell the history.

Stick around the circle line and you can't go to far wrong.

Live and feel you way round.

Mike

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Not really important but
I cannot help to put a little correction on Mike's comment : 'Really cheap beer Hoegarden or some german brand...'.
Hoegaarden beer is actually a Belgian Beer.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks again, Mike! I'm hoping my friends will take a copy of this thread w/them to London; surely they won't be clueless as to what to do, where to eat, and where to drink, too!

Bonitin, I see you're in Belgium...no wonder you knew about the beer mentioned above, eh? (Wonder if I can find it here in the States. I'll have to check for it.) Thanks.

Shoe

LOL "Picalled willy." Got a good laugh out of that one. Funny thing too, I received a Fortnum and Mason Christmas Pudding from friends in Warborough last Christmas...I've not been brave enough to cook it, and the expiration date has passed. Don't these things keep for years? Should I leave it to my children in my will?

Shoe, tell your friends to try the cask ales at the pubs they visit for a true pub experience. They always go well with a Ploughman's Lunch (bread, cheese, pickle/chutney, salad). Cheers!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mercy! Ya'll got me wanting to go get a passport! Unfortunately I would have to figure out how to drive to London. (Haven't been on a plane for over 3 decades. Fear of height, ya know! Heck, I don't even wear shoes cus they put me a tad bit too far off the ground!)

But, who knows...one of these days!!

Shoe

Hey Bontin... I stand corrected although i said "or some german brand" so i figure the word or gets me off on that one.. hehe.

Ploughmans lunch... Urgh its Rancid... Its for poor people.. heheh j/k

My brother in law is up this weekend but i'm working so if i do see him i'll quiz him about fort mason.

You gota get a passport and fly. Who cares about the enviroment when there is the whole world to see! Its fantastic. The different cultures and places. Even the cultures in the same country. Take the uk each part has different people who think and act differently.

You will just have to buy a yacht!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That's true Mike, sorry ! I have overlooked the 'or' word.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe...well, one of these days I may get there. And no offense to anyone but I hear tell there is some Scots-Irish in my bloodline. I think that means it's a given that I'll be sampling quite a bit of ale but yet am very frugal about spending top dollar for it, eh? (Will they allow me in London?) *grin

Shoe

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi Shoe, let me add my little note on the Kew issue:

It takes a long journey by tube(the underground train) to go there, and you pay a very expensive ticket. Then you enter an immense place, where you need a map and with long walks you go from building to building, to see unique plant exhibits from all aspects. By the end of the day you are exhausted, overspent, (because somewhere in there you have to eat and drink and rest) have seen so many plants that your memory cannot recall, and you still face another long tube journey to go back to the hotel and rest and find out there is no more courage for an evening out. The question for your synteknissa (cretan term for those adults related via baptism of their children) is, if she is so interested in plants to require a world famous garden to see, if she can hope to have weather without rain or wind, if she can dedicate one day of the whole London visit just for the Kew, or, if in the end she will be much happier with a stroll in one of the free gardens in the numerous parks in London. What do you think??

Dimitri

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Dimitri! Long time no see! (And I apologize...will Dmail shortly.)

Good points you've made. And yes, I've "walked my legs off" at some other sight-seeing spots so am right there with you. I don't think my "synteknissa" are as much into plants as many of us are but rather think she enjoys the beauty of them all and will also be gleaning ideas for planting/landscaping her beds/gardens. I'm sure there might be some techniques at Kew that we may not see here in USA.

Now about that stroll in the free gardens...you know I'm a miser and that would work for me! Then again, because I'm involved on a daily basis with growing/gardening/'trying to make a living' with plants I kind of have a feeling if I went to London I might want to see something other than what surrounds me on a daily basis. (Well, okay maybe not completely ignore gardens and plants because I certainly am always looking for new-to-me plants to grow!)

Thanks for posting! I hope things in Greece are doing well for you! Will be in touch!

Shoe

Rethymno, Crete, Greece(Zone 10b)

Hi Shoe, thank you for your kind words; don't apologise. I know DG is now a vast place and different interests keep people far from each other. I didn't write much myself either - only recently, to contihue the carpentry, you can have a look at the woodworking forum, I started a thread there 2 days ago.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/691714/

Your best bet, for advice about a good garden visit in London, would be to knock Baa's door; send her a Dmail. I think she can direct your synteknissa (the accent on "e") for nice guided visits, or even perhaps 1day seminars.
From the Kew I remember the tiredness and boredom among the endless roses with hundreds of labels, while I really enjoyed the rose garden at Regent's Park, free and wonderful, and not at the other end of London. Of course, at The Kew I enjoyed rare plants and especially the rainforest garden, things that are nowhere else to be seen.

Best wishes

Dimitri

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks again, Dimitri. I'll highlight Regent's Park (as for me, I love freebies!).

Should they go to Kew, the rainforest garden sounds pretty interesting (to me). I think I'll suggest they pick out a few places at Kew and go directly to them; if they still have any walking energy then see some of the other places on the grounds.

Much obliged!
Everyone have a great weekend!

Shoe

Bonitin, no prob's i was pulling your leg... the or word was only there by accident as i did think it was german really! heheh

Horseshoe... "Her who must be obbeyed" is half scot half irish... When i first met her it was great... couldn't understand a word she said... Shame i do now so i have to pretend! heheh

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, if we ever meet in person I'd say you might have a hard time understanding my Southern "akcent", too. And heaven forbid we get you, your dearly beloved, and me all in the same room! We'd all be wondering what each of us just said, eh?

Shoe

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Shoe,

if ur friend is into plants, it would be a good idea to check w/ur local agricultural office for permit. don't forget those plants had to be quarantined prior to being able to bring them back to U.S. soil. jmo least it is forgotten with all the excitement in traveling, a mistake i often tend to forget when i travel abroad.

ma vie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, MaVie, I hear ya. Thanks.

I don't imagine they'll be bringing any plants back, but if they come across some unknown/rare veggie I'm gonna ask them to bring me back some seeds. (They can sew them into their hems, like the early pilgrims did! Shhh....)

Shoe

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

my pleasure Shoe.

one never know. i would imagine there are some nice tropical plants in London too.

btw... thanks for the thread too. i could use all the info once i visit my friend in London. very, very soon i hope, the mere thought of it get me so excited.

thanks Every One for all the info too!

ma vie

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy!

Just wanted to pop in and say, "THANKS, FOLKS!" for your input, suggestions, and tips.

My friends are back home now. They had a great time! (And yes, Kew Gardens was a hit but they DID find out they could never cover it as much as they wanted to in a days time.)

They got to see many other places, visit with friends, and eat hearty!

They also enjoyed reading this thread while on their plane ride over! Again, many thanks for also entertaining them!

And me?...they brought me a handful of "souvenirs"...due to my ignorance with the money stuff I'm now the proud owner of a pence, a two-pence, a five pence, ten pence, twenty pence, a 50 pence, a one pound coin and a two pound coin! I'm rich, ain't I!? :>)

By the way, on the edge of the 2 pound coin it says, ""Standing on the shoulders of giants." (How cool is that? Our US coins don't have anything written on the edges!)

But...on the edge of the 1 pound coin there are words but I can't make them out, and they look to be in some language other than "English", looks like Latin to me. Any idea what it says, what it means?

Again, big time thanks to you all!

Shoe

Hiya,

Pleased the had a great time. Did Aunty Bet make tea? hehe

I think the 2 quid coin is commenting on you guys. hehe USA being the giants, where just here for the ride.
Seriously i have wondered why it says that.

The 1 quid must be latin "Decus et tutamen" but there are others the welsh version says "pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad" ..... figure thats about hating the english or something hehehe.

Just found another type all it has is a pretty patern and another with plain lines. Must be cut backs.. can't afford the lettering, maybe!

So what did they see?

Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.