Hibiscus Propagation

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Here is a photo of my hibiscus (rosa sinensus 'I think'). While giving it a haircut last summer I discovered that I snipped off a couple branches with buds. I stuck them in water to see if the flowers would open. Well they did open and then they budded and bloomed some more (with tiny hibiscus flowers, it was so cute) and now many months later they finally rooted!

Here's my question. How do you transition from a water-rooted plant to the soil? I've kind of gotten attached to the little guys after so long, and I don't want to kill them now.

Thanks a bunch, Christina

Thumbnail by cnswift
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

congrats. plant it in a small 4-6" pot. when rootbound, move to a bigger one or plant inground. You should be fine.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks! I didn't realize it would be so simple. I thought I'd have to slower introduce it to soil over time. Should I keep the soil really wet, or does it matter?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Since it has plenty of roots, and it is winter, I would keep it a bit on the dry side so you give the roots some oxygen. Wet it in when you transplant it, then start to just water as it dries out.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

ok, thanks so much! The momma plant almost died when we had a freak freeze, so it's nice to have babies.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.