seed storage

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

What is the best way to store seed? In Ken Druse's book, he says to keep in an airtight jar in the top shelf of the refrigerator. I would have thought that would cause fatal condensation. What has worked for you?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Some seeds may not like being in the fridge--I usually store mine in a dry, dark spot that's at room temperature. Then if the seeds are ones the require stratification to germinate, I'll put them in the fridge for the required time when I'm trying to get them to germinate, but I wouldn't store them there (more because of the cold than the condensation--if the jar's airtight you shouldn't have too much problem with that)

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think Ken meant for the seed to be dry first and then refrigerated. I'm sure he has been very successful at growing things from seed among other things.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm sure Ken has been successful at growing from seeds -- didn't mean to suggest otherwise! It's just that I was surprised that about the fridge!

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I think a lot of seed savers keep seed in the refrigerator to keep them fresher. Some seed can even be kept in the freezer. There is probably a list somewhere on recommendations on what is best in the refrigerator and which are okay for room temperatures. The only no-no that I know of is warm and moist which usually results in germination, mold, or both.

Lotus seed is some of the longest lasting seed known - reportedly dredged up from flooded areas over 1,000 years old, planted, and germinated!

http://www.absolutezerocampaign.org/get_involved/resources/topic_agriculture.htm

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/500-599/nb507.htm

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I keep mine in zip lock bags in a big cool trunk in my bedroom.....I just put them in the freezer for however long before i germinate them if stratification is required...

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Happy,

I can't find any right now, but I bought several seed packs last Aug-Sept from a commercial seed house and on the back of every single package was a sentence about storing the seed in a jar in the refrigerator until it was time to sow.

Glass is not permeable, but plastic is (to varying degrees) so maybe that's why it is supposed to be in glass?

If you have any seeds from the genus Lilium, keep them sealed in plastic bags or tempered glass in the freezer until it's time to sow! Viability diminishes rapidly after a year at room temperature +-.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the suggestions.

My seeds are sorted in alphabetical order in a long shoe-box shaped box. I wish I could think of a similarly shaped glass container. If I stuff them in a glass jar, they'll be completely mixed up. Is there any kind of plastic that is not permeable? I had planned to go to the container store to look for a plastic tub to replace the shoe-box-like cardboard container.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

In 2nd hand stores, you will find old glass refrigerator containers. They have a heavy glass lid and are square or shoe box shaped. Perhaps that would work for you. I store garlic, allium, etc in brown paper sacks in the vegetable drawer in the frig. They keep well.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Poster: That's a great idea -- I'll keep on the lookout for those old glass refrigerator containers!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately they can be pricey... but our seeds (and we) are worth it!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I bet. Plus the bigger hassle of hunting around for them in all my (not) spare time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.