Ok, first timer having issues with seedlings...

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, silly me. I thought it was as easy as putting my jiffy 7s in the south window and waiting out the six weeks...

But many seedlings, in the course of one whole week, are now over 3 inches tall and the roots are sticking out.

So...plant them into bigger jiffy pots or what? I feel stupid. I can't plant them outside yet. I wanna, the sun is teasing me...but my last frost date for my area isn't until mid-march.

The seedlings growing crazy on me are thus:

Sunflower
Morning Glory
Moonflower

I have over 100 ... about 20 different varieties of plants - the rest are small or not sprouted yet. Coleus, impatiens, columbines (I am prepared to stratify these next week), coneflowers, bee balm, rose moss, salvia, 4 o'clocks, alyssum, shasta daisy, blue fescue, and red hot poker (aka torchlily). They are all doing great.

Since the above surprised me, what else should I be prepared for? Is there a good web link for details on growing each from seed? Help.

Umm, you sure your last frost date isn't until some time the end of April? You're dealing with vines and other big boys so you might want to get them out of those jiffy pots post haste. You do realize you can cut some of them back to keep them smaller once they get a little bigger. Have fun. Sounds like you're doing a bang up job!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Regarding last frost date: yes, positive. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homeguide/frostspring.html

Thanks for the encouragement! Let me tell you, I have a HUGE south bay window that is normally my bane in hot Texas summers (I've desperately done the foil-in-the-window trick in 100+ degree weather) but seems to absolutely delicious for gardening. LOL I was even able to drop the whole idea of heating mats because the temps were so warm already from the sun!

Had to look you up. You're north of Dallas! You lucky woman you. Let's trade houses!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denton,_Texas

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Haha, I live in a 30 year old icky mobile home! :) You don't want my leaky ceiling, tiny rooms, no central air or much insulation to speak of! I don't complain because it was given to me for free! The lot, though, is worth it. The trees, the fantastic soil (for this area anyway), my lot backs up to a horse pasture so it's private and country-like. I'm trading the 'wreck' in on a brand new manufactured home next year, then maybe it will be nice enough for a trade! LOL

We can trade. You'd be getting the short end of the stick being as how my house comes with many extras but I'm game. A nice quiet mobile home in that climate with no husbands, no children, and no pets is sounding rather attractive to me these days.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

LarissaH

I am wondering about that frost date map... It says average and I am wondering if we can count on that? I am south of you (Emory) in 8a and I don't plan on putting my plants out until at least mid April. My mom is in San Antonio and she has always said that they always get a cold front in right around Easter.

Carol

It's a rule of thumb. It won't be able to take into consideration many factors that will have an effect on the plants growing on your property.

Here are my thoughts- I prefer the Sunset Zones, which will probably be updated soon too, because they try to compare some climatic differences from one area to another where the USDA basically compares nothing more than similar temps. Neither shows all the nuances to one's local area but they're both decent guides. One problem with the Sunset Zones is that you darn near need to buy their book unless you are familiar with their zones. Great way to get you to buy their book though.

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/1,20633,845218,00.html

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Larissa,

Don't feel bad. I think we all make that mistake when we first start. Sunflowers and moonflowers are quick growers and probably best direct sowed in the ground. A cold frame may slow down the growth and make the plants stockier but it's still a long time to spring. Another option is to move them up to a bigger pot and let them mature/bloom indoors. Did you save any seed or did you plant all of it? You can always buy more seed and sow indoors closer to spring or direct sow when the last frost date has passed.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

yardqueen, a cold front or a hard freeze? Quite a few plants can handle cold, even a light freeze. I am researching which of my plants are more cold tolerant than others. I'm going to hold out as long as I can, but I can tell you right now the sunflowers will be touching my roof within 2 weeks so I will have to just cross my fingers.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have compiled some data in regards to starting seeds. Two things I learned last year I wrote about in the diary as well that made the difference of night and day sprouting seeds. H202 regular store bought Hydrogen Peroxide, and using a heat source underneath the seed trays. Those two things will make the difference for you alone.
I found using seed trays with a lid, and a water tray- and the pellets which expand in the seed tray after watering will keep you very busy. The propagation rate was so high, I didn't have enough time to keep upgrading the fast sprouters to pots!. There are some other interesting things in the diary I had never heard of before! Have a look, and good luck! I have also linked other members diaries on similar subjects.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=1923

Rj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.