Recognize this palm?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Just returned from Costa Rican vacation, and found this interesting palm growing at sea level landscapes. Would like to ID this variety and find it for our Florida landscape. The stems are red. Does anyone recognize it?

Thumbnail by mavoufl
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Cyrtostachys renda...Lipstick Palm.

Brooksville, FL

I wouldn't try that in Z10a without significant protection. This one is a solid Z11 palm.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

looks like it not only needs heat but humidity and lots of water.
They grow in swamps is what I'm reading about 'em.
Beautiful red trunks. Gorgeous! The should be able to grow in Florida, no?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

NO... unless you are talking about the Florida Keys... and then maybe.

San Marcos, CA

Areca vesiteria?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

ive seen theam growing good in tampa and other places in florida

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Areca vestiaria? That might grow in some southern Florida climates. No way Cyrtostachys is, though... maybe a look alike? Cyrtostachys is even a challenge in some of the higher elevations in Hawaii (like over 1000 feet- it grows, but can be troublesome). I know some here in So Cal have planted A vestiaria and made them survive a few winters... but eventually the story is the same... a spot to plant another palm.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

There Lip Stick Palms

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

aka Cyrtostachys renda

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

next time am in tampa ill get a few pics

Vero Beach, FL(Zone 9b)

Would love to see pics of a C. renda in Tampa. Must admit I'm a bit skeptical. All I can figure is they are being extremely protected throughout the winter. I know of one on Merrit Is. here in FL (zone 9B). The gentleman owning it keeps it in a small enclosure with a small space heater rigged with a thermostat. Any prolonged exposure below 48 degrees is almost certain death. According to the Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center the palm succombs to a cold weather fungus when exposed to temps much below 50 F. To aid it's cold hardiness a monthly application of Dithan/Mancozeb is recommended. However, this does not make it a cold hardy palm. It only provides the extra defense to tolerate a little cold abuse. It is still too tender to reliably survive in a zone below 11.

Too bad though about the cold tenderness. It is an otherwise hardy palm if given plenty of water and humidity. I have one in a 16" pot and have had great luck with it for over a year. I just bring it in when the low temps are to drop below 50.

All this being said I have heard a rumor of an individual with a thriving hedge made of C. renda in zone 10a Florida. Supposedly this is surviving because its planted in sand. The theory is that the fungus doesn't reside in sandy soil. I have not seen this personally and no one I trust has seen it either, so I cannot say this is fact. Would love to know if anyone else has heard of this though.

Chris

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Tampa is 9b but it is allso close to zone 10 Sarasota is the sub tropical line

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Perhaps, but C renda is a solid zone 11 plant.. not a chance even in zone 10b.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i couldn't even keep them going in the Keys. it got too cold, even there, some winters.

Still would like to try it. How about potted? I'm willing to roll it in and out. I am borderline close to 11 - have royals doing very well. Would being on the water make a difference? Also - have a southwest/west facing corner protected on two sides. Last week or so, though, it has been cold here every night.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

when you say cold, what are your overnight lows lately?

We have been in the 50's and low 60's.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I know people here in So Cal who struggle to keep this potted plant alive in their indoor pool areas (lows in the 60s)... just doesn't get warm enough to keep them happy there, too. But go for it. You have the humidity... the hotter the better (these LOVE Singapore where it's always pretty hot and humid).

When I find it - I'm going to give it a try. I'll report back. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Venice, FL(Zone 10a)

Mavoufl-

You are right down the road from me - I am in Venice, I was just in Rotonda earlier tonight!

This is a testament to C. renda and its cold hardiness outside zone 11. Paul Craft, the co-author of An Encyclopedia of Palms, had one growing in Loxahatchee, FL, about 20+ miles due west of West Palm Beach. This is a cool spot where ultimate winter lows are cooler than they are here. His 4-5 foot plant survived 5 winters before succumbing to the cold. I have pictures of Cyrtostachys in the ground in Key West, but they never look good in that alkaline soil. There is also one in the South Miami area surviving, but growing these here are just too expensive!

If you are looking for a smaller C. renda, you should come visit my nursery here in Venice. I specialize in rare palms and cycads, and have Cyrtostachys with red and yellow crownshafts. I am right off River Rd. Here is a link to my website - there you will see a C. renda on the front page. :)

www.faulknerspalms.com

perth, Australia

There are similar palms in the Botanical Gardens in Singapore and I believe they are called Ceiling Wax Palms and are usually planted either side of a front door or entrance for good luck. I live in Australia (Perth) which is quite dry and haven't seen them here. More of a tropical palm and the specimens in Singapore a spectacular.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

similar for sure- exactly the same species.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/20646/

This is a shot from Singapore Botanical Gardens

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Is this a Red Sealing Wax? That's what I always called them, if so, 40 degrees, no lower, I've always been told.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I have a C. renda in zone 10b Broward County, Florida.

I made a very sheltered spot for it, bought a nice healthy specimen (from Paul Craft, oddly :), and it has struggled ever since. I have now had it for five years or so and it is alive, but by no means is it thriving. It puts out three or four new fronds each year, but is still a sad palm.

I am moving soon and would love to find it a better home... takers welcome.

It's right under the "2005" in the photo.

Thumbnail by Cearbhaill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.