Today's WS

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I replaced the columbine milk jug that Kiara, my naughty dog, tore up. Also planted some 'Caribbean Cocktail' nasturium, Swizzle (red & white) zinnia, 'First Ladies' snapdragon, 'Giant Imperial' larkspur, 'Minarette' lupine, 'Crazy Daisy' (daisy, obviously), and 'Zebrina' malva. When I was walking outside with the malva and zinnia, a big gust of wind blew the jugs out of my hand and they fell on their sides. I tried to "fix" it by gently shaking the jugs, but I don't have a lot of hope for them come spring. Fortunately, I am both WS and indoor sowing all of my seeds, so hopefully I'll get something to put in the garden. Happy WS, Tamara

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I was planning on getting started this weekend.... but with 35mph winds and a temp of 1
I'll give it another week.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I would still leave those containers outside and I bet you that some of those seeds will germinate. Don't be discouraged and keep reminding Kiara not to touch those jugs! Bad, bad doggy :~)

I've wedged my jugs between two chairs on my deck. Plus, with the precipitation and freezing temperatures, they are now 'stuck' to the wooden surface. Their not going anywhere until they thaw out!

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow...and I thought 8 degrees was frigid! Days like this I just want to curl up in bed under the covers and stay there until spring! Tamara

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Have to laugh, I took some jugs out today too, cold winds were blowing to cut to the bone, set my jugs down, turned to run back in the house and my foot got hung on the leg of the picnic table and I landed flat on my behind... rofl, you talk about COLD didn't take a second for it to seep thru... Guess tomorrow is suppose to be pretty cold and windy too :(

I agree with Shirley, I bet some of them germinate for you...

K - Stay in, stay warm Have a great night

Connie

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I haven't gotten any of my WS containers done yet. But considering that today's high temp was -5 with windchills down to -25, I've probably got some time. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder. I will firmly state right now, that the only reason that I would leave the house tomorrow would be to go out to the mail box to get my Sunday paper.....and that's iffy. That should leave me plenty of time to get the containers all cleaned up and filled with moist soil and ready to go. (Dang.....my milk jugs are 'outside'.)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Marie, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that hasn't gotten any WS containers done yet. I figure that winter has just started and there is no chance of them germinating early. It is windy here today and the highs is going to be -3º.

I don't think that we'll manage even -3 today. It was -20 at 8 a.m., and even now it's only -9. I think that I've decided that I don't really need to read my Sunday paper. It is allllll the way down at the end of the driveway. I think that I might have seen something about windchills to -30 or -40 or something like that. You know....once it's zero, it doesn't really feel any different.....it's just how long you can stand it.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

You know, it is really difficult for a Canuck like me to understand F degrees below 32. Celsius just make so much sense when 0 degree = freezing, rather than some ungodly extra cold temperature. I have no idea how to read the hardiness maps. Am I to assume that hardiness zone 6 has temperatures as low as 10 degrees F or minus 10 degress F? (This is a 20 degree F difference!) Can someone fill me in?

There is some mathematical equation, that I can't remember. It involves minusing something and then there is some multiplication of things with decimal points. Now I'm going to have to go and look it up, because it bothers me that I can't remember what it was.

Here's where to find the conversion. http://vathena.arc.nasa.gov/curric/weather/fahrcels.html#conversion

-20F = -28 C

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! This helps a lot :-)

I grew up in Vancouver, BC before celsius was introduced, so the conversion between the two when the temperature is above freezing is not so difficult. But, as it seldom goes below freezing in Vancouver, I have no concept of F degrees basically below 40 degrees. I know that water freezes at 32 degrees. I also know the -40 F and -40 C are the same (and I have been in -40 and don't recommend it :-) )

So, I will do some quick math and sort out what temperature zone I am in.

cheers,
Seandor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.