Moth larvae

Anybody any good at this? I'm not.

My friend found a strange moth catapillar being hounded by some black ants in the supermarket carpark, so he bought it back in the car, washed it off carefully (to get rid of the acid from the ants, ant acid always sounds a bit like an indigestion preparation to me) :) and placed it in the garden.

So this thing was about 1" in length quite fat and a pinkish beige body. On its head was a turquoise blue spike...anybody know?

Baa

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Not sure what kind it is, but, be carefull, Some moth caterpillars can sting and are poisonous!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes, I experienced this soon after I arrived in America. I was doing some weeding etc and then started to cut back old canes on the hydrangea when I felt this sting on my hand. It soon became red and it was quite painful for a time but then disappeared. I looked and loooked for the culprit in the hydrangea to see what had 'got' me but I never did find anything!

Ummm...I'm in Britain and while some moth larvae have irritant hairs here, thats about as much as it goes. This guy has no hair.

I guess this one is going to remain a mystery, just like my black ladybird.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Baa I posted a photo of a pink moth last month (photo forum) I think!! Or it could have been the i.d. forum. If I checked before posting this I could have told you where...lol!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.