I ordered my greenhouse!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I finally got up enough nerve to order my greenhouse!
It was kind of hard to do. Am not used to spending money like this but will tell the story on this.

My father died last May and my mother gave my sister and I some money from the house sale (she moved into a retirement apt.). She wanted us to do something fun with the money so I decided finally after thinking long and hard on what to spend it on.
I wanted to get a greenhouse because my dad loved to garden and see beautiful flowers bloom. So it is also kind of a tribute to him. I miss him a lot so hoping this greenhouse will help me remember him in good ways. (My sister bought a ski-doo with her money, LOL, she lives on a lake so...............)

So..........................

I ordered a Sunshine Mt. Hood, 6' x 12' size.
Here is the link from the company I ordered it from.
http://www.theyardworks.net/1035424.html

Also ordered 2 benches (one is 6' long and other one is 8' long) and a shade cloth.
I got one bench for free and the shade cloth for 1/2 price. So that was a good deal.
Plus free shipping!

I know you all think I am crazy to spend this much money on a greenhouse but have a few reasons on why I did.

One - is I have a son (he is quite capable to build things and he built my deck last year) who can help me build one but he is way too busy with going to school for auto. mech. and working. I really thought about him and I to build one with the Solexx panels and wood but................ decided no.

Two - I will have to a lot of the work myself so wanted some prefab panels to put together myself. I am quite handy but just don't know the right way to build things.

Three - I like wood and would like to have a wood structure. I know it will take some work to finish it and keep it up but.............. I hear the metal frames aren't the best at times especially with winds and we do get some good ones here in the NW.

So it will be here like in 9 working days!!! Am excited.

I plan on treating the redwood with some stain. Am not too sure on what stain yet but want one that will last a long time and I won't have to redo it for a few years or shall I say, many years, LOL
So if anyone has some good ideas on stain, let me know. I have looked at exterior ones like from Behr, Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Cabot.

Will post a picture of the site it will placed next. Now will have to work on getting that area ready and level for it. Which I am not too excited on doing. Me and leveling aren't the best, LOL

Later.
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

As you can see, there is already a plastic greenhouse there which is 4' x 6'.
This area is only 7' wide. Actually 7', 3" wide.

The new Sunshine Gardenhouse will be placed pretty much in the same spot as the plastic one. But it will be 6' wide in that spot.
What I am doing with the Sunshine Gardenhouse is having 2 dutch doors on each ends (I asked for 2 doors instead of the back panel and it will be no more cost for that, so that was great news!) so I can walk/get thru on this side of the house.
It on the west side of the house. Doesn't get full sun at all but for 2 years, my plants have done just fine so far. This space is more or less wasted as we all know. I thought putting a greenhouse there would utilize that wasted space plus look good.
Will have to do some good site prep. There is already river rock for the base with landscape fabric underneath the rock.
But....................under that is horrible wet soil. So am not to sure on how to get the site real perfectly level.
I need the area to be level because with a wood frame, it needs to be level so the wood doors won't stick or close right. I saw one of these Sunshine Gardenhouse at a place they sell them and the doors didn't close properly.
I have seen 2 of these Sunshine Gardenhouse in real life so I really like them.

Hope you all will enjoy watching me put it up soon.
Later, Carol

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

good luck one day i hope to get one. but like you money is always the issue but think green

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh Carol, you finally did it!!! Yippee

Ok, I'm so envious that you got the Mt. Hood. I would loved to have gotten that one also, but alas, it was a little too steep for me at this time. I hope you get some wonderful enjoyment from it and everytime your in there, you will think of your father. What a great feeling it will be.

Since I just started putting my GH together today, we will be starting to use our new GH's about the same time. Guess we will have to put our heads together with tips on growing.

Best of luck and I look forward to watching you put yours up also.

Donna

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Jerry, LOL Yes, the color green is always nice, LOL But hope you get your dream greenhouse someday too!

Thanks, Donna. Good luck on putting it together. Starting today? Wow, cool. Isn't it exciting to be putting it up finally???

I was just at HD last nite looking for what to anchor the greenhouse down with. I could order their anchors but for the price, I know I can find something better or at least just as good. I may just use some tie downs that they use for dogs, that have a huge corkscrew on it. But as my soil being so soft in the winter time, am not sure if that will work.
Then I was looking at how to have water come into the greenhouse. I may just use a long hose but want to find a flexible hose that won't damage plants.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, as you can see from the picture, I started to clean up the space/area where the new greenhouse will go.
I took away the plastic greenhouse you saw in the second post. Gave it to my neighbor across the street.
We looked silly with 6 people carrying the old greenhouse. But it stayed in one piece!
Am storing my precious plants there tho. That was part of the deal for the free greenhouse, LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here the area cleaned up.
Where the white bucket/trellis toward the potting bench are sitting is the new area for the new greenhouse.
From the white fence to the house is the area. Is 6' wide and will be 12' long.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This last pic for the nite is where you can see my makeshift greenhouse on the left side with the fiberglass panels. My plants that aren't in the other old greenhouse are under the panels. Only have to be there a few weeks, I hope.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, I just got an email today saying my greenhouse will be delivered tomorrow!
Wow, now that is service!
It wasn't to be delivered until the middle of next week.
And I am not ready, sighhhhhhhhhhhh...................
But will take it anyways, LOL
Am so excited!!!!

So if you all are interested, I will take pictures of the progress...............

I was going to get the site ready and all leveled out this weekend................. but guess I still will do that but will be so hard with the actual greenhouse just sitting all alone in the garage, LOL

I will have to buy some stain to put on the redwood tomorrow after work. Am debating on whether I should bother staining it? Is it worth the time and money, tho it isn't too much for a gallon since that is all I will need.

Be back tomorrow with pics I hope,
Carol

Oh Carol, I am so excited for you. :-)

We finally finished my little GH yesterday, except for one small vent that doesn't fit right. We are putting the foundation down tomorrow and then putting the GH on top of that. I am getting closer every day. I will be downloading all the pictures I took tomorrow, so will be able to post them soon.

If you think you really want to stain your GH, I would go ahead and do it before you attempt to put it together. Like you said, it isn't too much for one gallon of stain and you paid good money for your upgraded GH. Go for it!!

Looking forward to your pics also.
Donna

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Donna. Am glad you are almost done. Was wondering if you were still working on it and why you hadn't posted any pics, LOL Can't wait to see your pictures then.

Yes, I had planned on staining it first as I take the pieces out of the box. But I have been reading about that redwood doesn't really need to be stained or painted. That is holds up to weather and sun better than any wood. So...................... am wondering if I really want to do it. There is a video online on the Sunshine Gardenhouse website and have been watching it. There sure are a lot of pieces that would have to be done! Sigh...............decisons, decisions......................

As for getting it delivered. That will be a big problem. My son has taken over both sides of the garage (my side!!!! too) to take out 2 engines out of 2 cars and swap them. He was told to get that job done by the first part of next week originally since they were to not deliver until then so..................had to tell him the news tonight on moving it all and that didn't go over very well.
So I just get a part of the garage so am not sure how to do the staining so may just wait until he finally gets out hopefully next week.
Which is okay. I still need get a level site anyways.
Carol

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

IT'S HERE...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for shouting but..........................am so excited as you can see from the nice big boxes in the picture.

Now just have to do inventory on the pieces.
I got some sealer for the redwood. I called a place that sells redwood directly and they told me that redwood (along with cedar) really do not need to be stained. That the wood would last, not rot, for 30 to 40 years. But if I want to preserve the actual pretty red color, to put on redwood sealer.
It is a clear coat and will soak in the wood. So am going to try that on a corner and see if I like it. If not, I can take it back.

I have decided to bite the bullet and get some sand and bricks for the floor. The rocks/gravel I have there now is more or less river rock which is too large for a pad/floor for the greenhouse. I wasn't thinking.
I could get more correct gravel but I will be hauling that anyways, so figured that I might as well invest a nice walkable floor then.
So I am going to look for a good price on bricks. Can't decide on what size of brick tho.
Am going to pick up a load of sand today from the concrete company for only $20.

So onward................................

YAY!!!!!!

Doesn't if feel good? lol I had my boxes in the garage for a whole month before we could finally attempt to put it up. We finally finished it yesterday. phew!

My dads neighbor gave me some old 12" square pavers and a few bricks, so I'm going to use them for my GH floor.

I look forward to watching you put yours up also. :-)
Good luck,
Donna

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You got some free bricks? Lucky you, LOL
Yes, it is kind of cool to have those huge boxes just sitting there, LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Got myself a load of sand. Just 1/2 yard. That is all that will fit in a small pickup.

Started to remove the gravel (river rock) there but then went over to my neighbor to ask her to come look at the area. Asked her if she thought I should remove the river rock since it seems pretty packed down. Has been there for 3 years on top of the landscape fabric and hardpan clay soil.
Then as I was talking with her, I was thinking/talking out loud, "Why don't I just put some sand on top of the river rock so the sand can intermingle with the sand." Then I could a layer of landscape fabric on top of that sand layer. Then put another deep layer of sand to put the bricks on top/in.

So here I am laying down the sand on top of the river rock. The pic isn't the best since it was about dark. Will take more in the morning when it is light.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This picture is up closer and from the other direction.

Went to HD tonight too, to look at their bricks.
Keep changing my mind on what size and kind to get. Looked at the 12" x 12" square and the 16" x 16" ones for sure. Just the price of the 16"s are spendy. The 12" are $1.19 (I can get these same bricks for $1.04 at another lumber store which is much closer to my home too) and the 16" were like $5.85. I think the 16" at the lumber store were $4.24.
So.........................
Need to sit down and figure out what would be the best deal for a 6' x 12' area.

Any ideas from you DG people, pipe up please!!!

Tomorrow I will finish laying down the rest of that first load of sand and then go back to get another load to put on top of the landscape fabric.

Any comments, please say so. Love any tips!

Beaumont, TX

Carol,I know how excited you are !

Sounds like a plan to me. That ought to smother any thoughts of anything sprouting and sneaking up between those bricks for sure with double landscape fabric.
The 12 X 12's might work out perfectly. What I'd do is look at the instructions in the box on assembly and see what exact size the base needs to be so I know where to end up with the bricks. If it sits on 4 X 4's you don't want to end up with it partially hanging off the edge. Might have to add a row if you have room to get where you want. Those you can adjust but the greenhouse has to be what it is. Unless it's going to sit on the sand and then the bricks area need to be small enough for that too.

Hurry up! I'm anxious to see more!

This message was edited Feb 10, 2007 9:07 AM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi, MM, I had/have been following your greenhouse project and was so awed by it. Never commented because I felt so out of it due to your great skills! So any advice from you would be much appreciated!

The base for this greenhouse is a recycled plastic/non-rot base. Very interesting type. And of course, there isn't any specifics on the size of the pad for it! I am just doing as you say, making it area larger anyways.

The paper instructions aren't the best and pictures are not very clear. Too many copies in its life, LOL
But.....................
They included both a VCR and CD with 2 guys putting up a 6' x 8' one so it is very interesting to watch. Very detailed and step by step. So that helps so much....................!!!!

But you just gave me another idea. I will have like 15" on the house side left, so I might as well just continue the bricks there to complete the whole area with bricks. Then I can use the house foundation for the edging. Thanks!

LOL on hurrying up, LOL Yes, I want to get it up but...................am only one person most of the time and want to do it right, LOL

Am off to get some sand now so later...........................

Beaumont, TX

My great skills. LOL Being a homeowner and not being able to afford skilled professionals I HAD to learn how to do things myself. I feel like my greenhouse has put all of them to use. Plumbing, electrical and carpentry and patience.
Wonderful to have a video of how to do it!

I was kidding about hurrying up. I'd be watching that video several times myself.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Carol,

You give me too much credit. I am still excavating the "hole" for my "thermal mass". It's going rather slowly because I have encountered some big granite rocks that I have to split into pieces before removing them. And the soil has now frozen solid, almost like concrete, so I am having to "jack-hammer" it out. But I have already removed several big rocks and I am making some progress nearly every day chipping out the remaining soil. I hope to have my greenhouse up and running by spring.

MM

Beaumont, TX

MM I'm so sorry ! * hiding my red face * I presumed Carol was talking to me in her post since I saw no other name that started with M in this thread.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL guys, guess you guys need a different nickname, LOL LOL
But I was talking about you, Maidentheshade.
But I have read your post/threads too, MaineMan.
Both of you guys are good!
But I would like to learn to do more like you do, Maidentheshade. I totally get your side on not being able to hire help so....................

Will be back later tonight for more pics of my progress today.
Need to soak in the tub first. What a day!!!
Stay tuned! LOL

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I've been lurking around and watching your progress ... I love the excitement!

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Maidentheshade,

You can unhide your red face. Surprise! Carol was talking to you. Does that mean I have to hide mine?

MM

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Kathy. Am glad people are interested.

Well, today I worked hard inbetween errands like to the indoor farmers market, flea market, checking out a few places about some bricks (got a few more tips), and getting my cholesterol checked for free, LOL
Got up first thing early this morning to finish emptying my truck of the sand. Did errands, etc. Took the truck to get another load of sand. One guy at the brick place told me to get what they call "concrete sand" which has sand and what I call a smaller jagged edge pea gravel. The place I went to was to have it but didn't. Guess it is expensive and most places don't carry it.

So came home and unload it. As you can see from the picture, have filled in the space totally. In the front, you will see a level that I use and my makeshift tamper, LOL I asked around on what to tamp the sand down with and one guy suggested a brick with holes. Well, this one was broken and not so heavy to tote space after space.
Geez, what a job! Going over and over that darn sand. Still need to do it more and more to try to get it level and smooth.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This picture is from the other end.

Then after emptying the sand, had to head to the lumber store before it closed. Got 50 of 12" x 12" x 2" bricks/stepping stones. I need at least 72 of them but they need to order more.
And let me tell you all something. Each of these bricks weighed 26 lbs!!! I had to ask because my poor Ranger pickup wasn't too happy on hauling them, LOL
But.............................
poor old little me tho. I am only 5' tall and don't weigh too much and I had to carry all of these 50 bricks to near their home. Well, I guess I should say, I would put them in the wheelbarrow from the truck and then empty out the wheelbarrow.
But what a lot of work! I hope my back lasts after carrying all these bricks and tamping down that darn sand!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here are all the bricks stacked up nearby. Plus the 2 wheelbarrows have the rest of the sand in them for packing and just extra. Took this picture with the dusk/dawn setting on my digital camera. Never have used it and it is kind of cool. Almost better than with the flash.

So tomorrow onto more tamping and figuring out how to edge the brick pad. Wasn't going to but realized that I need an edge to hold the bricks in place on at least the 2 ends. The side should be fine with the fence and house concrete foundation.

Does anyone have ideas on how to hold these bricks in place then on the 2 ends??? With just the sand piled up above the ground, there isn't any solid edge to attach to.
And I don't want to step up into the greenhouse. I am going to be walking thru the greenhouse with things plus the wheelbarrow so need it flat on the ground, more or less.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

MM (MaineMan), of course not. Keep your face and any ideas right here please, LOL

Beaumont, TX

MM LOL I am so glad we have an expert here! Please don't hide so you can read and help if Carol needs it!

Coming right along ! You did some big work !
The last row of big blocks might lay just fine but I know my regular bricks wouldn't unless I filled in the rest of the way to the fence with dirt level with the top of the outer rows. Kinda gradually sloping off to the existing ground so it's an incline but not a step.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, I wasn't sure if I could do an sloping incline. I spent time online looking up how to work with stepping stones. Got lots of ideas. But of course, now more work LOL
Need to use stakes to pound in the ground so I can have a base level point. Then need to make the border edge where the bricks will have a starting point.

I am probably doing way more work/thinking than most people would but I want to get it pretty level due to not wanting the wood frame to warp wrong.
They have some stuff called Pave Edge (plastic, I guess) where you use this for making the actual edge with a 10" spike/nail into the ground. Is only $8 for a 6' section at HD. May check that out today.

Isn't too nice out today. Raining and windy but I want to keep going....................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, what a day!!!
I am so so sore!
Went outside at 9:30 am this morning. Spent until 12 noon trying to get that darn pad level.
Geez, between the dang cat jumping up on my back all the time while I was bending down to use a board to level and the rain and wind.................................my back and legs are so sore...................................

Using a 2 x 4 both a 4' piece and an 8' piece, I finally got it leveled and tamped down (ended up tamping it down and realized it wasn't very leveled, so had to tamp it again at the end). My fingers are so sore from hanging onto the boards. Small hands don't work!

I don't think you can see in the picture but along the white fence, I put pieces of cedar fencing on the bottom to use for a guide for a straight line. But dumb me. I should have put it down/in before I hauled the sand in. So had to dig a trench for the cedar fencing pieces. They are only like 1/2" wide but............what a pain in the neck.
Then I should have done the ends too with the cedar pieces before hauling sand. Learned a lesson. Do the things right the first time, LOL

I was going to stake in the cedar boards but just ended up using sand behind them. I am thinking of removing the end cedar boards later tho so I can walk thru better.
I did the 3'-4'-5' measurement and it came out pretty good, I think.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I measured the bricks and of course, they are only 11 1/2" x 11 1/2". Not 12" x 12". So had to add another brick both wide and long. Now I need another 41 bricks to finish. Plan on buying them tomorrow.

I am so excited now. It is getting closer. My son came out to look at it, moved one brick, and said nice job. Then went back to working on his car, LOL He said he will help with putting up the actual wood greenhouse. He hates doing the prep work!

This pic is from the other end.
You don't see it now but I had to cover up the rest of the sand. The cats were so happy to see the sand, LOL They started digging like mad! Geez..................................

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I forgot to post the pre-brick picture with my wild, jumpy, crazy kitty.
Note how flat/level it is, LOL Believe me, I am proud of this!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, it is looking great, Carol!! You have done so much work.....I'm exhausted just looking at it! LOL

I want to come over and see it when it is all done!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Mendy.
You didn't even offer to help, LOL
Figures. LOL
But yes, do come over!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I know, I thought about that. LOL I would probably just get in your way. LOL Besides, I don't know how long this fever is going to last. :o(

I better hit the hay now....said I was gonna do that an hour ago and I didn't.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Daisyruffles that is looking great! I know it's hard work (boy do I know!) but later you'll enjoy your greenhouse so much you'll forget about the work part!
Personally I would leave those boards at the ends so your blocks don't wander over time. You did such a great job setting them I'd hate to see them get out of alignment on you.

MollyD

Beaumont, TX

Boy you really got after it Carol! It looks great! And level! Hope you didn't discover any "gifts" from your kitty while leveling the sand. LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I was razzing you, Mendy. Yes, I thought about you guys being sick. Get well.

Thanks, Molly. Yeah, I was thinking about the bricks running away. I will probably get some good stakes to keep them in place. I will also cut them down to equal the level of the bricks tho. Then pound in some stakes hold the whole pad in place.

MM, yep, I sure hope I don't find any either, LOL But luckily, I have only had the sand there such a short time, they haven't gotten too thrilled with the spot, LOL

It should be level! I do have a couple bricks that I want to redo tho. Want it to be as flat/level as I can get it on at least where the base will go which will be the rectangular edge of it all. The rest of the bricks can be good as it gets the first time LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I could hardly walk this morning!!!! LOL

But after work, I got 41 more bricks. Hauled them home, unloaded them, and placed them in their new home.
Actually went better tonight. I didn't have to redo too many. Most went in with no problem.

Of course, by the last row, I had become an expert on how to place the bricks in their spot without messing up the sand, LOL Wished I had figured that out sooner. But oh well,
LOOKS GOOD, HUH???

It was 6:30 pm and totally dark, so had to try to use the flashlight for light and the nite setting on my dig. camera. Is a weird pic but does show you all the complete job more or less.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.