Clear the runway,buckle up those seat belts. ET phone home

Novato, CA

I love Taunton Press and their family of books and magazines but yesterday while hanging out at a friends house I picked up his current issue of Fine Homebuilding and was horrified by an article on outdoor lighting.

Now I realize that this obviously could not be an article on lighting DESIGN, ( er um right ? ) but if you are writing about a subject to educate people on how to lay out a lighting system wouldn't you think you would want to inform your readers of the proper choice of lights for a particular application ?

The illustration that surged my wattage was the hokey Malibu style lights Mr. Pope ( the electrician that wrote the article ) strung out in pearl necklace fashion in the middle of a lawn.
This type of lighting layout is great if you are hovering overhead in your spiffy new flying saucer and need the assistance of some run way lights to guide your landing into the garden, but for us earth dwellers, this is just plain bad duhsign.

There is a good ole' horticultural saying that we are all familiar with : right plant right place.
The same can be said about landscape lighting : right fixture right place.

Low set light bulbs on a stick are not the only way to effectively and aesthetically light a pathway.

Choose the correct light(s) for your application and you can conserve on energy by using less lights , conserve on light pollution, and save us all from looking like mini suburban landing strips waiting for the little green men to arrive.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/fh_185_080.asp#

This message was edited Feb 1, 2007 2:21 PM

This thread has 59 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!